On reflection…Making a Mirror

About a month ago my friend Em called me asking about remodeling.   Her husband was going out of town for the weekend, and she had HUGE plans for the master bed and bath.  She was wondering if she could do it all, and she was very hopeful.  Since she knew that Justin and I have been doing things like this for almost 8 years now, she was hoping to get an idea of time and cost.

I went over to have a look.  While the ideas were fabulous, the time was short.  So, I talked her into a few basic changes, for the moment.  She is after all, the busy mom of three and had only three days.  Instead of the huge design, we talked about painting each room, the vanity, a piece of furniture or two, adding curtains, hanging art, and accessorizing.

One thing she really wanted to do was get rid of the huge double vanity mirror.  She was worried though about having to repair the wall.  While looking at the mirror I was immediately struck with a genius idea.  I asked for a screwdriver and climbed up on her counter top, yeah, we are that good of friends, in my defense, I wasn’t wearing shoes… I think, I could be wrong.

Anyway, I unscrewed the little mirror clip at the top of her huge bathroom mirror, and found out that it was not glued to the wall (score definitely no repair).  Once I was sure, I had to share my genius idea (that I have now been planning on using for my own similar mirror at home).

If she removed this mirror and glued it to a sheet of OSB approx. $5.00 (cut to size at Home Depot or Lowes) with some builders adhesive approx $4.00 and then wrapped it with some molding approx $1.00 per linear foot, it could be leaned against one of the walls in her huge bedroom.

In essence, for a total of no more that $30 dollars she could have a $300.00+ mirror not unlike these examples:

This is from Jennifer’s house at The Old Painted Cottage
Thanks Jordan for helping me remember the source!
(this black mirror is available is on sale for a cool $720.00 uh gulp!  Normally $1139.00)
Anyway, by building this framed mirror it would accomplish two things.  Give her a huge new piece for her remodel, with almost no cost and get rid of the huge mirror where she didn’t want it.  She loved the idea.  A day later, when her husband had left we came over and took down the mirror.
And, well, actually Justin ended up building the frame for them.  It was harder than it would have been at our house…  Tools are like your old friends, you know them and how to use them, where you store them and on and on.  So figuring out someone else’s system took a while.  But after a few hours we had a beautiful mirror all put together.
So here is a partial picture of the before:
Here it is with a frame in place!  Too cool.
If you would like to see it all click the whole remodel story.  I can’t wait til we get going on our master bath and I get to make my very own!!!  Stay tuned, although it may be until next summer honestly, but we have plenty to do until then!  Sigh….
Here is the tutorial for how we built the mirror:
(please excuse my rough sketches we didn’t take photos!)
ps If you don’t have a huge bathroom mirror you could try one of those old sliding closet doors!

Here is the printable instruction sheet.  Just save the image.  You may have my permission to use this for your own home projects but not on your personal blog without first contacting me.   Thank you!

You should also check out our other cool how to tutorials!
Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin.  Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME!  We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won’t try to tackle (at least once!).  We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way.  We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what is going on in our family life.

Comments

1. jordan @ mean mommy academy says

>I love that mirror in the first one! It's from the home of Jennifer at theoldpaintedcottage.blogspot.com. { I adore her kitchen too!} I need a huge mirror too, I've decided…

I'm also contemplating doing this to a sliding mirrored closet door. Hmmmm…. the possibilities!

2. Matthew says

>Hey remodelholic…thanks for your help! As said husband of said remodel, I was very appreciative of the help you and your handy husband gave my wife. She is very awesome and creative (like you), and it makes me feel good to know we have good enough friends to run over on a whim and help her out. Thanks for not letting her hurt herself or spend too much money…unnecessarily:) I can't wait to see what you guys with your bathroom…and of course give me a call if you need help:)

3. Its So Very Cheri says

>I would love to be featured on your blog. I am always working on some prohect–I just can't sit still very long-except to blog.

Cheri
    ItsSoVeryCheri.blogspot.com

4. Brandi says

>What a brilliant idea! I love when people think of creative ways to use old pieces. Great job! Loving your site — just stopped in from SITS and I'll be back soon!

5. Kim says

>I have a mirror leaning on my wall in the closet from a remodel – I've been wanting to get it out of there. Thank you for the brilliant idea!

6. Erin says

>Great idea! Wish I had an old mirror to take down & do that to. Too many of those giant mirrors get broken & thrown away. Looks amazing!

7. michelle@somedaycrafts says

>GORGEOUS! wILL you please be my friend? I am going to feature this tomorrow at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button. This should drive you some traffic and hopefukky get you more followers!

8. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking says

>Absolutely genius! I see free bathroom mirror for free on Craigslist all the time. I'm going to have to grab the next one I see. Thanks!

9. Miss Mustard Seed says

>It looks really great and I love your drawings and directions. This was a great use for a huge bathroom mirror. Nice work!

10. Annie @ The House That Jade Built says

>What an awesome idea! they sell these big mirrors for around $30 at our hardware store – I may a new project!!

11. Brittany says

>I love floor mirrors, and was thinking about making one myself. Yours turned out fabulous, and looks great!

12. CIELO says

>I love the idea of mirrors againts a wall they look wonderful… thank you for participating in our "Show Off Your Cottage Monday"… would love to see our link here too! ;)

cielo

13. Vicky says

>LOVE IT! My 14yo daughter needs a mirror like this! I am going to try adn find one at the thrift store to redo! FUN!

14. Josh 'n Katie says

>I have actually done this in my head before!! Looks great! This may be a summer time project for me- easy, inexpensive and looks great! The only thing is I'd need to be ready with what will replace the big nasty mirror… thanks for the instructions!!

15. Room to Inspire says

>The mirror looks great – thanks for the tutorial and for linking up to Be Inspired today!

Chelsea

16. Parenting in blue jeans says

>I'm just laughing at myself. I saw the floor mirror post at Things I Love Thursday…Diaper Diaries and clicked on it and it's you…always you. I swear I think I'm starting to stalk your blog! Yikds.

17. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says

>Looks great. It's so funny…I loved that photo from the Old Painted Cottage, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it when I went back to try to find it! I am definitely bookmarking it now.

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

18. Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence says

>What a wonderful, substantial piece that adds so much to a room. Thanks so much for linking up to my Under $100 party!

19. Olivia says

>That is too cool! It makes me almost wish we had one of those huge mirrors. Ooh! My mom has one; maybe I could convince her to remodel!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

20. Santa's Gift Shoppe and Ideas says

>Hi..I’m Barb ….I am from Fri. Follow.. I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

21. Suzan says

>My parents saved the huge wall mirror that had hung in their bathroom. NOW I know what to do with it! Thanks for the great idea and inspiration!!

22. Life in Rehab says

>How did I miss this? Thanks for putting it on Tatertots and Jello so I could catch up! I thought I'd gone through all of your projects.

23. Kimm says

>Hi:
    Just recently found your blog and love it. Wouldn't you know I had an old bathroom mirror hanging out on my back patio from when we redid our guest bathroom. I got to work. I have a question for you. When you glue the mirror onto the OSB board, the mirror sits higher. When you glue the molding onto the OSB board, the molding doesn't lie flat with the mirror, it sits at an angle. What did you do about the gap?

Thanks!
    Kimm

24. Remodelaholic says

>Kimm, it has been a while since we built this, but if you nail the inside molding to the outside wrapped molding with the mirror space intact it should sit flat.

This is hard to explain, (if you were to cut through the side would look like a "T" not just an "L") I hope that helps, if you need more help just email me and we can try to figure it out.

I hope that helps, I would still add the adhesive behind this, so that it hold together!

Good luck!

25. Lori says

>Very cool..

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday. Please join me next week for another great party!

26. Threeundertwo says

>I never would have thought of this! You are a great friend and a bit of a genius. I always love visiting this blog. Thanks for joining in on Finished for Friday.

27. Heather@ My Frugal Family says

>Great tutorial- mirrors are SO expensive to buy already framed, and for what? Some wood and glass?

Your post was tied with another one for the most clicks during last week's Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family, and is on of this week's featured projects!

Thank you for participating in Talented Tuesday! I look forward to seeing more projects!

28. LuckyStarHeather says

>Love this! Such a nice, modern mirror :) Great job!

Thanks for linking at Lucky Star Lane!

29. Miss Mustard Seed says

>Very cool project! This is such a great way to get that look for less. Great idea.

30. Kristi Flanagan says

>Excellent job! And – a much nicer price tag! Love it!

Thanks for planting your creative seed at Plant a Punkin Seed Party! Come plant again on Friday!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

31. Dusty says

So I too like Kim am having a time trying to get the molding to lay flat. I put my mirror on the board, tried the molding in the side and there is just no way to get it flat. Just wobbles back and forth. I could just put it on th Osb board but I would rather not. Any suggestions? thx

• Justin says

I think in the near future I will make an updated tutorial. One suggestion that I could make would be to making a spacer with a material the same thickness of the mirror. That will allow the molding on top of the mirror to lay flat on the mirror and on the spacer. You can then nail the molding into the spacers as well. Another option would be to leave the gap and nail the outside molding perpendicular to the molding on the mirror. Let me know if that helps. Like I said earlier, I might just need to update the tutorial.

Justin

32. Liz says

I came across this site looking for a mirrored dresser. I’m so excited to find you!! I absolutely love what you have done in your homes. Thank you I truly enjoy your site. You guys are fantastic!