A House Divided…But in a good way: Screen Building Tutorial

I am very excited to show you the project we have been working on.

First, let me give you some background.  I used to work at Icon Health and fitness while attending college.  No that doesn’t mean I worked out a lot, I worked in the legal department and the treat drawer was huge… I gained weight while working there…  Along with the extra ten pounds, I did get a smokin’ deal on a huge elliptical, and later a recumbent bike.  Just recently my neighbor sold us their old treadmill…  So, while I am thankful to have my own personal gym, it is not all that pretty in my family room.  But how to hide it?

Enter google search.

I love you google search!
Anyway.  I found this screen online and thought $519.00 dollars” gulp…  But, it is funky, and oh so fun. You know what?  I could make it.  SOLD!

And guess what, now you too can make this! Original on left, ours on the right.

Just keep that in mind, that you will be blown away when you can see how we did it for $30 to $50, depending on the size you want.

Supplies:
1 to 2 sheets 1/2″ x 4′ x 8′ mdf, cut to size at the store, see specification sheet for dimensions, (Home Depot makes cuts FYI) Approx $20.00 a piece
6 hinges, very small 2 screw hinge. These come in sets of two for Approx $2-3.00
Paint
Wood patch compound (optional, for oops!)

Tools:
Straight edge, or long ruler (for drawing on template)
Measuring tape (for drawing on template)
Pencil (for drawing on template)
Jig saw (to cut out shapes) – not included in cost, but they are only about $30.00, for a simple saw, FYI
1-2 sheets, 150 grit sand paper (for sanding raw cut edges)
A round object (for sanding curves, see instruction sheet)
Sanding block (or small piece of wood with sanding paper wrapping it)
(If you do not have these tools check bottom of post for another option to build the screen)

You may copy these images for personal use only,
it may not be reproduced or posted on any other blog
without author’s written consent before use. Thank you

For those of you who don’t have the tools to make this project try this. Get the boards cut at the lumber store to the right width, I would recommend the 4′ wide option so you don’t waste as much since you probably won’t be building a second thing out of the waste. Sand all the flat edges. Paint both sides one solid color. Trace the pattern lightly and carefully on the screen, and paint the cut-out pattern on to the screen. Or if you know a person who cuts vinyl you can have the relief shape cut from vinyl and attach it on there.

Comments

1. Michelle says

>Wow, that is great and to be honest, I like yours better! Plus it would be easy to make it go with any decor! Great idea!

2. Heidi says

>You always come up with the perfect solution to a problem, and always very clever and thrifty, too. The screen is a great addition to the room. Nice job!
    I'd love it if you'd stop by sometime.
    XO
    Heidi – Heart and Home

3. Thelittlebrownhouse.us says

>What a great idea! I have just finished redoing our family room and am having a friend of mine build a screen for me for the same purpose! Hiding that treadmill that I don't really use but would use even less if it wasn't in the room! Love what you did!

4. thediaperdiaries says

>Wow, really impressive. Thanks for linking up to Things I Love Thursday. If you wouldn't mind a link back to the carnival that would be great.

5. PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood says

>Wow, that's no screen! That's one heck of an eye popping piece of art! So fun and functional!
    Cindy at Lakewood

6. Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com says

>I like it- it's modern and fun!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

7. Kelly@TearingUpHouses says

>I have to admit, whenever I see knock offs make their way 'round the internet I tend to roll my eyes. But this looks JUST like the real deal! And for over $400 less?! Wow!

Kelly

8. Marianne@Songbird says

>Wonderful knock of! I just love screens they hide a multitude of sins, or in your case good intentions.

9. Kitchen Stewardship says

>That makes me wish I (or hubs) was handy. It's fabulous that you share your specs with others for free.

Thank you for linking up with Finer Things Friday! :) Katie

10. A Busy Nest says

>This is just what I have been looking for. All the room dividers I have found have not been that great looking/very expensive. THANK YOU!

11. Beads In The Belfry says

>OMG. Your projects are taking my breath away! We have a screen divider that hides our stationary bike but I was just thinking yesterday that I'd love one that better matches our decor.

12. Jessica Federman says

This is exactly what I was looking for! I am going to put this up in our family den (of our newly bought house) to separate my office from the rest of the family room. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

YOU are so welcome! (it is funny I was shopping at HomeGoods a couple weeks ago and they had this exact screen for sale, it made me happy!!!) I hope you love your screen!)