Head of the Board! Headboard Tutorial

I have been living without a headboard for the last 4 years. Well, technically I have never had a “real” headboard, but I have been wanting one. In college, I made one out of an old door that we had sitting around, (in this post you can see it) it was a great headboard, but I wanted a “real” one so I left it when we moved, and I haven’t had one since! Such is life.

Headboard Tutorial

Well, the thought of having a “real” headboard has been on my mind for a while now. If you have read this blog, or searched the archives, you probably know I am not going to go out a buy one. . I just can’t swallow the price tag of the cardboard furniture that they make nowadays. That and I definitely cannot afford the “real deal”.

So, I’ve let the desire ruminate for a while.

And a golden idea struck me… Kitchen cabinet doors! Yea!..uh…What?

That is right kitchen cabinet doors. They are pre-made raised panels, which removes the need for expensive router bits and table saws.

So, now I am going to share the plans with you, because what are blog buddies for, right? Wanna sneak peek at the finished product first? I feel like a genie in a bottle granting your wish, and now I have that Christina Aguilera song in my head… not what I meant at all!

As we made this, we learned some things and figured out how we should have made it (to simplify it). So, we have a TON of pictures that are not exactly right.  So, we built a model, and made an instruction sheet so when building this follow the steps on the instruction sheet and not the order in the images.  And as always if you have any questions, please just leave me a comment, I will clarify when necessary through the comment section below.

We have worked very hard on this project, and have spent a lot of time creating this tutorial, so I have a request, please! This project may not be reproduced on any blog without receiving written permission before posting. If you receive permission, you may use the finished headboard image only, and link back to Remodelaholic for the tutorial. No part of the tutorial may be copied except for personal incidental noncommercial home use. If you build the project, and post about it, please link back to the instructions on Remodelaholic. Thank you.

Now that the tough stuff is out of the way, I want to clarify one more thing, this project is meant for those of you without a lot of tools, and just a basic understanding of building, so BE careful! On that note, IF I were going to spend real money on the wood (and buy walnut or poplar or some other nice hardwood) I would have built this very differently!

Headboard Tutorial instructions:
Supplies needed:
2 – 4 old kitchen cabinet doors
Various 1 x __ Mdf boards (size depends on cabinet doors!!)
(we used: 1 x 3′s approx 16 linear feet, for the bottom rail and all vertical stiles
1 x 6 approx 12 linear feet, for the top rail and top shelf)
9 linear feet of small base board molding
1 -8 foot 4 x 4 cut in half ( I had Home Depot do this)
3 – 8′ long 2 x 2′s
(optional: to hang on wall an 6′ long 2 x 4
cut in half on a 45 degree angle on a table saw)

Tools:
Miter box and saw
Screw driver, drill bits and screws
Hammer and finish nails
Nail set
Sanding block (or sanding paper wrapped around a piece of wood)

**Measurements are all relative for this project.
They depend on a number of things, like the size of bed you have,
the size of doors you find, how many doors you use etc.
So, I have attached an image with a few of our our measurements called out
so you can get a better understanding of scale, just keep in mind you will have to make it
according to your supplies.

*TIP*
When you buy MDF boards the length wise front edges are chamfered (or rounded off on corners) So, in order for butted edges to look clean, and well planned, after cutting all the vertical stiles to length, sand the top flat edge to match the horizontal edges. That way a straight angular end won’t butt up to a curved edge, instead both will be rounded off and look even, and well planned!

If you want to make a matching foot board,
instead of the 2 x 2 frame you would just attach the doors to another face frame on the back.
And use pocket screw on the inside of that face frame to attach it to the posts.

To better understand the headboard, and see clearly what is what,
I color coded an image, and called out some things on the next.

To hang this on the wall attach the bottom half of the optional 2 x 4 that has been cut in half at a 45 degree angle to the wall like so. The other will hold the headboard to the wall!

This project can easily be customized. I saw a headboard online while surfing that could be made using these instructions. See, you could easily make the headboard below as well, by only using two large doors, and aligning the top of the posts with the top of shelf and attaching that top shelf all the way across.

(source E-how here and here)

I must tell you that we actually spent much less than $30.00 on this project by using old scraps from other projects. That price is more likely what you will spend buying all the wood etc. But, I thought it would be fun to give you our cost breakdown anyway, because honestly I am such a deal lover that it is fun to share.

Our Final Cost Estimate:
$8.00 – 4 Kitchen cabinet doors
$7.00 – 8′ long 4 x 4 (we have scraps and an AWESOME project planned for these!!!)
Used old wainscoting molding(from Asheville Kitchen Remodel)
Used old 2 x 4′s cut to 2 x 2 (from Asheville Kitchen Remodel too)
MDF (left over’s from our Screen making tutorial)
Screws and nails from our stash
Tools already owned
Paint (left over from Laundry room remodel)
Caulk (laundry room remodel left-overs)
Plaster for patching (left over from our unfinished column project)
Grand Total: $15.00

Remodelaholic is written by Cassity and Justin.  Cassity has a degree in interior design and Justin is a landscape architect, so we adore everything that makes up a HOME!  We love to share home remodeling ideas and projects we’re working on. From huge kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, there isn’t anything we won’t try to tackle (at least once!).  We are in the midst of our third whole home renovation, so there should be a lot more inspiration coming your way.  We hope that you will stop by often for home design inspiration, tutorials, interior design tips, delicious recipes and what is going on in our family life.

Comments

1. sewlively says

>This is amazing! We have a local salvage building supply store nearby where oak doors can be bought for $7.00. This is moving to the top of my must do list. Thanks for the motivation and inspiration!

2. Lafe's Hidden Treasures says

>So very clever! Love it! You did a great job on the tutorial. Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a great day.

3. Danielle says

>How gorgeous! I'm way too lazy to do all that, but I think I want to paint my headboard & footboard white now :) Our bedroom set is a hand-me-down from my mother-in-law, but the bones are still in great shape.

4. Kelli says

>This is the EXACT style headboard I have been searching for but could never afford! Gonna run to the ReStore tomorrow and get started! YaY!!

5. Shannon @ Posh Pieces says

>What, $15!! That is so crazy! You did an amazing job, the headboard is so beautiful. What a deal too, $15 is nothing!

6. KennaWilde says

>I love you! I dont have a headboard and have been wanting to make one for a long time. But this one is the best one I have seen so far! I cant wait to make it! Thank you Thank you!

7. Thelittlebrownhouse.us says

>Wow! What a project! It is absolutely amazing! You should be very proud of yourself – this is a great piece – and the price can't be beat!

8. Ben and Jackie says

>That is absolutely gorgeous! I don't think I will ever get over how creative and talented you are.

9. Craftify It! says

>Thank you for sharing! I love all the details in your tutorial! I have NEVER had a headboard because I couldn't spend the money, but if I made one….

THANK YOU! It is beautiful!!!

10. Emily says

>That is absolutely gorgeous! The whole room looks awesome. What fabric is that above your bed…(I'm assuming it's fabric that you put on an Ikea frame) It's beautiful and would match my room perfectly. : )

11. Amy @ The Bell Family says

>Holy moly…this is seriously amazing! Great work on the project, and very well done tutorial, too!

12. Dorese says

>This is absolutely gorgeous and doesn't look 'homemade' at all! It looks just like something from a catalogue and you know it's made of real wood! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing your creativity with us! I think I'm going to start my search tonight for old cupboard doors!

13. Remodelaholic says

>Emily-

About the fabric, I should do a quick tutorial, it's so easy… keep looking back for that.

But for now, I got the fabric at Joann Fabrics. I can't tell you what brand or anything, but it was in their big rolled home decor fabric section and I got it late last summer… knowing Joann's I bet they still have it.

I actually wrapped it around a piece of OSB board that I had cut into 2'x 2' squares at Home Depot.

OSB is a rough construction wood that is only about $6.00 for a 4' x 8' sheet. So I got 8 squares cut out of it, and have used it for all sorts of random projects.

I will try to put a tutorial together for that project, but until then, maybe run and see if Joann's still has that fabric! Good Luck!

14. Lissa @ MyThriftyTreasures says

>WOW! Soooo beautiful! I love this! I too can not bring myself to shell out the bones for a headboard (I also have a king and headboards and foot boards for those puppies are PRICEY!) I will so be trying this! THANK YOU for sharing:)

15. Candy (Mama Lion) says

>this looks amazing and so creative. i was just researching DIY Headboard ideas. I am a follower now of ur blog! thanks for sharing!!

16. Wenderina says

>Ok this? is F-ing amazing. (sorry for the profanity, but seriously? F-amazing). Is it really true there are no mitered corners until the last bit of molding and the caps on the two side posts? I love this. I'm such a novice at DIY though…where can I buy the cabinet doors? Is that readily available at Home Depot as just pieces or are you looking at salvage options?

17. Emily {Frilly Details} says

>I am completely blown away that you made this beautiful headboard out of cabinets doors!!! The finished product is stunning. Wow!!!

18. Remodelaholic says

>Wenderina-

Go for salvage, if you don't have a Habitat Re-store look on Craigslist. Home depot used to sell individual doors, but then they got rid of them for a full pre-built option, which is sad, but new doors wouldn't have saved very much money.

We also have a surplus building supply where I live, that carries individual doors for about 5.00 a piece so check the local building supplies or discount stores.

Good luck!

19. CRAZYMOM says

>You have got to be kidding me! I want you to be my next door neighbor so you can teach me. I will be a good student, I promise!! (and my neighbor's house is for sale!) LOL

20. Rose says

>That came out so great and really looks better than any storebought headboard. Thanks for the detailed tutorial. Where were you when I used cabinet doors to make my windowseat? Could have used these tips back then! lol Now I know how to do it right….
    Thanks,
    Rose

21. Organic Girl says

>That is amazing and I really like all the accompaning pictures, I really want to make this!!! Great Tutorial Organic Girl :) I found you through Follow Friday , Great website!

22. Lisa says

>Wow! I am SO impressed. Planning a headboard redo myself, among other small projects, but I doubt I'll end up with a masterpiece like yours!
    Found you through the Friday Follow. As I always say, better late than never!

Your newest follower~
    Lisa @ All That and a Box of Rocks

23. FrouFrouBritches says

>I am totally in love with this headboard – exactly what I want! I've got to send this link to my dad!

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

24. going kiwi says

>Wow! You pretty much rock. I love this idea and have wanted to do some kind of headboard. Thanks for the great post.

25. Brittany at Mommy Words says

>Wow this is great! I am good with tools but I also have some old cabinet doors laying around and need 2 twin headboards so maybe I will do this! I LOVE projects.

I am so glad I found you through Follow Friday. I am your newest follower!

26. Heather@ My Frugal Family says

>It's gorgeous!

Please feel free to link your project up with my Talented Tuesday Link party on My Frugal Family, found at theherberfamily.blogspot.com!

Hope to see you there!

27. Jessica says

>It's really stunning. Thanks for putting together that tutorial, so much work, congrats on finishing this!

28. Lisa says

>I love this. Beds with headboards look so much more finished. I've been looking around for something cheap for my daughters room and I think this is just he ticket! Thanks for posting this.

29. Melissa says

>Oh, wow! This is gorgeous! I don't think my hubby will agree that we need a new headboard, but thank you for providing such great instructions for those who do.

Your bedroom colors are the same as ours, but we don't have the splash of green added. Love it!

30. panamamama says

>Love it! I've been looking for a bed for a month or two now and just haven't seen anything worth the $600-$1000 they want for them. This is so cute and better yet, inexpensive!

31. Shaunna says

>Beautiful job! My hubby and I are building a daybed from some old doors right now…lots of fun! Great tutorial! -shaunna :)

32. Katherine @ Grass Stains says

>GORGEOUS! I love it, and I love how easy you make it seem. It actually seems to be ATTAINABLE. So important with all the DIY projects out there these days! Great job … I want to make one now!

33. Laura says

>This is beautiful! I bookmarked it on the spot. But I've got to know, just how did you get the cat to not only match the pillows and the color scheme, but to pose as if he's naturally part of the decor? LOL great pic!!

34. Lanie Ree says

>This turned out awesome! And for $15?? Amazing.

Thank you for linking this up to A Little Craft Therapy, with Life in the Pitts.

35. Freely Living Life says

>Hi there!

We found you through the FF and are now following your blog. We look forward to reading more of your posts! Have a beautiful day.

36. Amanda T says

>Hey there! I’m a new follower from Friday Follow. Hope to see you around my blog sometime! And please feel free to check out my most current giveaway for 1 of 3 Xbox 360 games :).
    Take Care.
    -Amanda

Oh and by the way the headboard is beautiful, you did such a great job, oh and I had to laugh about the cat sneaking into the picture :)

37. Misti says

>WOW!!! I love this!! Going to show this to hubs & tell him this would make a GREAT anniversary present!!! *wink* Thanks for sharing your tutorial!!

38. Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence says

>OM goodness-that is genius and I love your very thorough instructions! Thanks for linking up!

39. Olivia says

>That's a beautiful headboard! I never would have gotten that from those kitchen doors, and I consider myself fairly "crafty." Well done!

40. Jessica Hills says

>I can't believe you made this! It is so pretty! Come stop by my Favorite Things Friday Party if you would like to join in!

41. Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden says

>It is so fantastic! Great job! I'd love to feature you this week as a highlighted project on My Backyard Eden. Let me know if it's OK for me to link to your tutorial and photo!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

42. Amber says

>Are you kidding me? Oh my…I love it…Can I just give you $15, and you can make me one? lol! Seriously…LOVE this!

43. Gay Vaughan says

>Thank you so much for linking up to It's a Hodgepodge Friday! I love what you have been up to. Thanks again!
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

44. Atticmag says

>This is a most astonishing piece of work, a superb result and amazing graphics and tutorial. Wowowowowow! You put hgtv to shame!! Hope you will take a rest now and tour the Architectural Digest Home Design show with us. — Jane F

45. A Mom After God's Own Heart says

>This is incredible! I have been trying to find a fun and inexpensive way to revamp my bedroom! Thanks for the great post! I am a new follower from Friday Follow! Please come by and follow me too:)

46. CHATTY CATHY 1975 says

>LOVE the headboard and many of your other posts!! We have 5 kids and are both fairly handy, but YOU'RE MY HERO TODAY!! Thanks for the awesome tips! I've followed you and will be back very often!

47. Kristi Flanagan says

>Wow girl I'm impressed bit a little too intimidated to try it myself! =0) Thanks for planting your creative seed at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

Kristi
    Punkin Seed Productions

48. Kim says

>Oh my gosh!! That's amazing. What a makeover. I love seeing us ladies taking the man tools head on and making amazing stuff. I LOVE IT. Great job.

49. michelleml says

>awesome awesome i love it. We just bought a new king bed but could not get a headboard (cost to much) so this is perfect. When i told DH about building it with cabinet door you should have seen the look on his face. I'll have to show him all this when he gets home.

My only question is do we have to the attach to wall??

50. TidyMom says

>I don't know what's more amazing….your head board or your tutorial!!! FANTASTIC job on BOTH!!

Thanks for linking up and have a GREAT weekend!

51. julie says

>OUTSTANDING…your instructions are incrediable…the cost!! I can't believe the cost! The result…OUTSTANDING!

52. Lori says

>WOW! This is totally awesome! I love it.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life as Lori. Please join me next week for another great party!

53. Patti says

>Thank you so much… I have wanted a similar headboard for years and couldn't afford to buy one. This will be just perfect and I think I can build it myself! WOW!

54. H says

>Following from Friday Follow! I am officially hooked on your blog! Since buying our really old house on a lake that had previous owners with horrible taste we are addicted to remodeling. You have some great ideas that aren't expensive which is even better because I am SO cheap!

55. chubskulit says

>Hi, visiting and following from Follow Me Friday.

Please come by and follow me back when you get a chance. Have a wonderful weekend!

56. Marie's Cozy Corner says

>that is amazing I am so glad that you posted that. thank you. I am a new follower from friday follows have a great weekend.

57. Tricia says

>Amazing! The tutorial is perfection, and the project is just unbelievably. I will be linking to this post in my Inspire My Saturday post tomorrow.

XO*Tricia

58. Jenny says

>This headboard is great! Here from the friday follow! I'd love to have you come visit my blog. Have a great weekend.

59. Jane says

>Crazy Good! Awesome actually. I used some cabinet doors for my headboard too. But, they were cheap plastic ones I found on the curb and I just nailed them to the wall. Someday I will upgrade to this!

60. Chari at Happy To Design says

>Hello…

Ohhh my goodness…your custom made headboard turned out fabulous! I love, love, LOVE IT!!! I can't believe that you achieved this GRAND look for just $15! BRAVO, my friend!!! Wow…and you did a magnificent job with the tutorial too! Thank you so much for sharing your creativity…your talents…and this gorgeous headboard with us! I'm so glad that you joined in with Sunday Favorites today!

Have a super Sunday!
    Chari @Happy To Design

PS…Ooops, I wanted to mention that I just love the beautiful wall art that you placed above the headboard! Love your beautiful blues and browns…bedding! Sooo pretty!

61. Wanda Lee Of The Plumed Pen says

>Hello there,

I adore this post!~What a fab headboard project!!..,It looks superb!

I found you, as a fellow participant on dear Chari, from 'Happy To Design's' blog, on her delightful, 'Sunday Favorite's' meme.

You are most warmly welcome to visit and/ or to participate with my 23rd, 'Tuesday Tea For Two' tea party meme to be held this Tuesday at my blog..,

Cheers from Wanda Lee @ The Plumed dPen

62. Gay Vaughan says

>I will be featuring in my party wrap-up! Thanks for linking and sharing with everyone.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

63. Ben and Jackie says

>You seriously have so much talent, but this is one of my favorites! It turned out so beautiful. I love the white.

64. Sarah @ Hennessey House says

>wow! you have the best tutorials and GREATEST outcomes. it is amazing. the kitty is a nice touch, too ;)

65. Danielle says

>Hi Cassity! Just wanted to let you know that I featured your project on my page today. Please feel free to check it out!

*Danielle*

66. jenjen says

>Wonderful, wonderful my friend. You do the most amazing projects!

Thanks for linking up to my party!

XOXO
    Jen

67. Meg says

>This looks like an amazing project that I am definately going to attempt in my spare bedroom. Thank you for sharing the instructions with everyone.

68. Gina says

>I keep reading "MDF boards" on the crafty blogs and I have no idea what MDF stands for. :P

LOVE your bedding, btw!

69. Holly says

>Holy crap that is absolutely amazing! And for only $15! I can hardly believe it. You did such a great job, seriously.

70. Remodelaholic says

>Hey Gina-
    MDF if Medium Density Fiberboard. Basically they take a ton of sawdust and glue it into a board. It is super smooth and pretty inexpensive!

Hope that helps

71. aus_chick says

>I actually bought some doors the other day from Ikea (in the as-is section for $2 each) and plan to do something like this. Note that if you're going to cut/sand MDF, you need to wear a mask/respirator as the dust is poisonous.

72. Allison says

>Just found your blog from Knock Off Wood and loving this tutorial!

Curious…where did you find the bedding? I have been looking for something simple in that color, and I am loving yours!

73. Kelley says

>This is gorgeous! I'm heading out today, to find out if we have any stores like that!

One question, what size is the bed you made this for? Queen, or King? I'm not so building savvy, and I've got my fingers crossed yours is a King, so I don't have to adapt the plans!

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

74. MarytheKay says

>WOW!!! I absolutely love this! I have bookmarked this post, to show my husband. Oh how I hope he will want to *help* me do this! I am right in the middle of our Master Bedroom Makeover on a Shoestsring Budget–so this would be PERFECT. Your instructions are amazing!

And now…I plan to spend a LOT of time peeking around your blog at all of your other great-looking ideas. Thanks so much or letting me stop by! :-)

75. Sarah Robbins says

>I have pillows made out of the same fabric as you used above your headboard. So fun to see the same thing used different ways!

76. Michael says

>I am a woodworking purist and I would normally turn my nose up at this stuff, but I have to say this is sheer genius! Now I cannot look at my current kitchen cabinets without want to tear them out just so I can try this!!

77. Natasha Klein Photography says

>THANKS so much my daughter needs a head board for her new twin "big girl" bed but she is a climber and I did want to buy press board junk! THANKS YOU !!!!

78. Victoria Bellow says

>i'm so impressed to your incredible tutorial,amazing!love your bed too,you have it dressed to perfection,thanks

79. Future Envy of the PTA says

>Ok, so I'm new to your site through Ucreate's post about your headboard. You may have mentioned this in your blog, but I haven't had a chance to stalk it and read through all your material to find out where you got all your adorable bedding and pictures over your headboard! This is exactly what I keep pushing around my head for ideas of what to do in my new bedroom!! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Loooove this post! I'll admit it now… I'm definitely going to be a copy-cat!
    Thanks!
    -Sara
    sara.garrison@yahoo.com

80. Remodelaholic says

>Hey Sara,

I am so glad that you found my blog, and am flattered that you want to copy! Go right ahead.

The bedding I have had for about 4 years, I actually purchased it at TJ Maxx. But i have seen similar blankets on Pottery barn (go figure, if you have the budget) or West Elm. I guess it just really depends on how much you want to spend, but don't over look TJ Maxx of Home Goods.

As for the art above the bed, that is easy and totally do able. I need to write a post about this but for now here are the basic instructions.

I bought a 8' x 4' pieces of 6.00 OSB board at Home Depot and had them cut it into 2' x 2' squares. (so technically I had a lot!, but I have been using them for other random projects…)

I bought 1 of those cheap felt blankets at Walmart. (instead of the expensive batting, but if you have some you can use that.)

Fabric that matched my room ( I got mine in the home decor section at Joann Fabrics)

Glue gun

Pull the felt blanket tight over the OSB and hot glue in place.
    Then the fabric over that, be careful to keep the fabric lined up properly. Start from the center on each side. Glue the center, let the glue harden, pull tight across to the opposite center and glue it in place. Then do the other two center then work your way out from the center points. Fold around the corners sorta like gift wrapping.

Add hanging hardware to the back, and you're done!

Hope that helps. And I really hope you keep reading the blog, welcome!

Cassity

81. Remodelaholic says

>I got a question about paint via email, I thought I would share the answer here.

When it comes to white paint, I am a brilliant white girl. I just like that brightness.

I used Satin on my project. I wouldn't recommend matte on a headboard, because after time the oils in your skin and hair would create shiny spots if you leaned against it. Also, most matte paints are hard to clean. Gloss would be fine, but you see more imperfections with gloss paint, because of the way the light reflects off of the surfaces, so just keep that in mind.

Hope that helps!
    Cassity

82. Bethany says

>This is amazing! Exactly what I've been looking for! so much better than the fabric ones :-D

My problem is, I can't find any kitchen cabinet doors! Any suggestions?

83. Manda0409 says

>I was just browsing your sight and had to tell you that I just bought the very same fabric that you used on the squares above your fabulous headboard! Too funny! Beautiful job…so sophisticated. :)

84. Shay says

>Just came across this, My husband and I are upgrading to a King size and I've been on the lookout for some great ideas on how to have a headboard/footboard combo that we could use, we have a couple of doors that we have taken down from our 1904 farmhouse(basically just to open up the space) that might be just perfect. all we would need to do is build a bed frame and it just might work.

85. krissyjosephine says

>My dad and I made a headboard using your tutorial and it looks AMAZING!!! I linked my blog to yours; hopefully everyone will check out your amazing work!

86. Alison says

I love this headboard! When I click on the pictures to get a better look it says the requested info can not be loaded. The video does the same thing? Any way you could help? I was hoping to do this project with my husband this week :)

• Cassity says

Alison, Shoot, i will have to find the video for this, I hope we still have it somewhere. But I am not sure what else is going wrong, the pictures are loading for me when I click on them. Sorry that I can’t help you with that, maybe you could print the screen and paste it somewhere? Good luck!

87. Theresa says

I know this is a year old, but I just found it. Thank you for posting this! I bought a pallet of unfinished & “unusable” cabinet doors & drawer fronts from a millwork shop and have been looking for just the right thing to do with them. I have more than enough for the headboard and so I also want to make matching night stands. You don’t happen to have a tut on that do you?? ;)

• Cassity says

Theresa, i don’t have a nightstand tut. but you could definitely do the nightstand option! I would check out Ana white, and instead of a plain side panel add one of the doors…

GOOD LUCK!

88. Brenda says

I’m looking forward to making my new headboard, but the instructional video won’t play for me. I know its been a while since this idea was first posted, so perhaps, it just not available anymore….?? Please advise, I’d really like to get going on this project and would really love to be able to see the video

• Cassity says

Brenda I will have to try and find that video, but I can’t make any promises at this moment. But the video is just that same as the broken down model sheet so just follow those steps and you should be set!

Good luck!
      Cassity

89. Judith says

Thanks for the great idea! I need a headboard and didn’t want to spend more than $30. I even have left over wood from another project, so this will cost next to nothing to make! BRAVO!!!

90. JLC says

I may have missed this in the post or in browsing the many many comments below…the headboard you built, the one pictured, are those measurements to a queen or king size bed? (Sorry if that’s already been answered & I overlooked!) It’s beautiful and inspiring!

91. Tiffany says

I am in LOVE with this! I am starting this tomorrow! I even got my door today. My question is what is the purpose of using the MDF as opposed to a 1X3 piece of wood instead? Is it because of cost, just what you had? or is it better to use? I have some 1X3 already and I am just wondering if I could use them, or if it will make it to heavy. Thanks you for this wonderful tutorial! I am so excited to get this done and put it up!

• Justin says

Tiffany, The reason I like MDF is that it doesn’t warp, split or twist, and it is so smooth and doesn’t have any imperfections, you can of COURSE use real wood. Use what you are most comfortable with! Good luck on your project!

92. Dianne says

If I can find them for around $7 like the previous reader said, it would be amazing. I have been thinking of a new headboard for a while. My current one is a DIY as well – plywood covered in fabric. If I repaint, I will probably need a new headboard to match the new color. Awesome project!

93. Jessica says

I love this! You are so inspiring! I would love to do something like this but I am so scared it will not come out right.

• Cassity says

You just have to try… give yourself some slack! Keep it simple and see how it goes, I am sure it will turn out great!!! (and even with a tight budget, if you mess up, you won’t be out too much cash!) DO IT!!! Good Luck!