Little Black Dre..Door – Entry Remodel Continued

Well, I thought I would continue the Entry postings today.  Last time I explained some of the plans that we have.  Technically, I am going to have to give it a little bit of a rest, when we catch up to where we are, because who knows how long this project is going to take!

Anyway, this may seem off subject but, have any of you seen the movie Finding Neverland?  I am sure we have some Johnny Depp fans out there.  But, on the serious side, I loved the movie a little sad, but I still love it.  One thing I especially like about it is Mr Barry’s house.  Have you ever noticed it?  I looked all over online to find some images, but they didn’t have any.  My solution, I took some of my t.v –  forgive the quality.

Like I said, the quality of the pictures is really bad, but the set is just awesome.  I hope you can get some idea of it.  They have light cream/yellow walls, white trim and black doors and railings.  I love it.  This house has been bumping around in my head for the last few years.  So, I have been planning on black doors for the interior of my home.  Last winter (Wow, I can’t believe it has already been a year since I did this),  I decided to try this theory out on the back of our front door.  And I LOVED it!
Before:

I also painted the walls from a gallon of mis-mixed paint cause I wanted some color, without the cost.  But now, I think it is a little too dark! (especially with the no natural light issue!)

What do you think of the black door?
Do you feel like the space is too dark?

Comments

1. Angel says

>I love your black door. I think you should keep it, just use another fun color to accent the area with (red, aqua or yellow). I've been trying to convince my husband that our front door wants to be black, but wasn't sure what to paint the inside. We've got 3 doors in a very small space and they are ALL different. Black wins!

2. Dawn says

>No, I don't think it's too dark at all… I agree with Angel, accenting with any of those three colors – aqua, red, or yellow will happy up and lighten the space instantly. Another thing to consider might be painting something like "Welcome" or something on the mid crossbar of the door – in white letters. Or a light colored playful entry rug… but even without those cheery accent colors, it is very classy looking with the colors you have now.

3. MommyJ says

>All of the interior doors in my house on the main level are black, as well as the baseboards and the top and base of our stair rail. The trim around the doors, and the posts on the stair rail are a softer tan, and the walls are a rich latte color. I LOVE it… at first I wasn't sure how I would feel about the black. It was my husband's idea, but it I've really been pleased. It adds character.

4. Nancy @ Live love laugh says

>Love the black door, the paint color and the movie (sniff, sniff. I have the worst entry in my house it does not face front and is very small…so I really like yours!
    ~Nancy

5. Remodelaholic says

>Dawn,

I am right there with you. If you look back in the last entry post I actually wrote what I want on the door on the bottom of the page ( I wrote it on the door in pencil but you can't really see it). Anyway long story short, my husband speaks Dutch and we are teaching our daughter, so I want it to say "Tot Ziens" which mean see ya later in Dutch.

I am excited for that! I guess great minds think alike.

6. Ashley Eiban says

>I think the black door looks amazing! I really like it! My vote is to keep it! And I like the warmer color of your walls too!

7. Suzanne says

>I'm not an expert, but from a non-expert's point of view I really like the black door. I also like the color of the walls — better, I think, than stark white next to the black door. I would never have thought to paint a door black like that — really beautiful!

8. Elsina says

>I think the new look looks defenitely better, love the color on the walls and the black door as a focal point. Super!

9. Kelli says

>I love black doors! Of course, my last door was Hot Fuchsia (sp?) so my opinion might not count lol, but it brightened up a very dreary exterior on our house. I love the drama a black door brings to the space!

10. Cat says

>I like the black door but think the walls are too dark and the lighting not sufficient. I'd love to see the walls go a light yellow color similar to what is in the inspiration photos you have and maybe a hanging light fixture painted white would also help "lighten" up the area.

11. Brittney says

>I LOVE black doors. We painted ours last year and I think it looks so cool (if I do say so myself!). I think yours looks great with the beige paint and white trim-it really pops!

12. Nicole R.J. says

>I love the black door! So elegant! If you decide on painting the top of the banister as well – oooh!

As for light… have you considered a track/bar light? We installed an inexpensive, but nice looking one in our very dark hallway and it made a world of difference!

13. roxanne says

>The difference between the before and after pics is significant! I think the after is a much richer, homier feel, and I like it. That being said, I can see how actually living in that space might seem dark. It would be too dark for me.

14. Robyn says

>I LOvE the black door! I think it totally pops against everything else! I've never seen that movie, but I will NOW. In our kitchen we have black cabinets, light yellow walls and white trim. My friend Tina has all glossy black doors, bright white trim and lovely dove grey walls…but she's moving out of that house this weekend. It is a gorgeous combo!

15. The Pennington Point says

>I like the wall color. I don't think your problem is the color, I think it's the lighting. Can you put an uplight and maybe a lamp in that nook to the left of your door? I can't tell how much room that closet door takes, but maybe you could have a little table in front of the staircase with a lamp. Or a tall, narrow plant in the other corner with an uplight behind it. Just some thoughts. You have great taste and I have no doubt you'll find the perfect solution. LIsa~

16. Molly says

>It looks awesome! But it is sort of shiny, but maybe thats just the lighting and your camera. love the black though!

17. Sarah Sarniak says

>I love the black! It looks great. You have lighter walls and floors so it definitely doesn't look too dark at all.

18. Allison @ House of Hepworths says

>I love it! If I were you I'd go a step further and paint the hand rail on your staircase black as well.

19. Allison @ House of Hepworths says

>Oh, and paint your other door in that same hallway black so they match. It's looking amazing!

20. Julie M. says

>I love it! Don't change it, it's not too dark. Maybe you could add an entry table with a lamp? It would add more light? But I do like it! :)

21. Anonymous says

>I think it looks great–may have to show it to my DH to see what he thinks about doing that for our space!

22. gina@3ringcottage says

>the black door is great! We painted our back french door black and the front door black…doesn't show dirt! It's like the little black dress of decorating.

23. Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick says

>Oh I can't believe this — I've been toying around with this for at least a year. I saw a house with all black doors on TV once and LOVED it. I may try it out with the front door like you did. I really like it!

24. Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! says

>Nice post! Thank you for linking up to Modern Craftswoman Monday.

Rory

25. Shelly says

>That is so cool! We have a Red entry way. I might have to try that on the back of our front door!

26. cge4211 says

>Love the black door. Area is not too dark. Have you considered hanging a large mirror which will reflect the light you get from your overhead fixture.

27. Kimba says

>I love it! I've been thinking about painting the inside of my front door black too. It looks so totally blah in white.

Thanks for the inspiration!

28. Vicky@sleeping in an unmade bed says

>It really looks good! We just repainted teh outside, and our front door had been red FOREVER! I decided to paint it black, and I think black adds a little aura of sophistication, don't you think?

Vicky

29. {All Thingz Related} says

>Not to dark at all! I LOVE how the black door POPS off the wall! Looks GREAT! Thanks for joining us for Anything Related!
    ~Bridgette

30. {All Thingz Related} says

>Ok…I just scrolled back up to have another look! haha Not only is it not to dark but I think its WAY better because it gives the space definition instead of things blending together!
    ~Bridgette

31. Roseanna says

>I do not think it is too dark. I have painted my doors and french doors black and It love it. I have been noticing black mantles around the blogs also…hmmm!

32. Traci at ThreeDogsAtHome says

>I LOVE black doors. We are replacing the front door so I was able to play around the color a bit without worrying about priming and sanding. I have ORB door hardware so the black looked just a bit harsh. I ended up with a very dark brown that looks just a tad softer than the black. I painted both the inside and the outside I love it. I like the darker color on your walls. Good work.

33. Michelle @ Sweet Something says

>It looks fantastic! I love the contrast, it really creates interest! Great job!

34. Kari says

>I like the contrast of the black door and the wall color. But you're the one who has to live with it. Give it a few more days. If you still don't like the wall color, change it. :)

35. Sandra says

>I've been contemplating painting my entry door black. I painted the outside of it black but haven't had the guts to do the inside. I think yours looks great!

36. Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking says

>LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the black door… it's no longer just a door, but a beautiful addition to the room… thanks for sharing it with us at the POPP.

37. Cindy says

>I like the black door and the new paint. It looks great, I think. The color gives the room some definition, which it didn't really have before. Hugs, cindy s

38. Bonnie says

>I had to laugh because I JUST posted my foyer on my blog showing my door that I painted black! Of course I love it!! It makes a GRAND entrance into the room! Stop by and take a look if you have a chance!

39. Bonnie says

>PS. I was already following you on my blog but didn't see my face popping up over here!! You now have a new follower who is an old follower!!

40. Nestled in Rosenberg says

>This is inspiring! I recently painted the exterior of my front door black and I love it. I have been holding back on painting the interior side and now I think I've made my decision. Yours looks GREAT!

41. Anonymous says

>I love the doors! It really does add some character!

But I need some opinions for my idea. Right now, my double front doors are black on the outside, and white on the inside, which matches ALL the trim and other doors in the house. But I'd like to paint the inside black as well. None of the other white doors are visible from the front doors. Would it stick out like a sore thumb? Or would it give it that little "extra punch" I feel the doors need? Any opinions would be so helpful!

TIA!
    Theresa

42. concretenprimroses says

>I like it too. I may have to rent to movie to see the set now!
    I have a dark purply blue door from my living room from front hall. (Heather dusk)
    Someone on a decorating forum, on hearing of my door, told me doors should always be the same color as the woodwork! Glad to see there's another world out there.
    Kathy

43. concretenprimroses says

>Sorry, I meant to say I think you should do your stairs as in the movie, too.
    Kathy

44. Remodelaholic says

>Theresa,

I think you should totally paint them. They are special doors to your house anyway. So, they don't have to match. So far in my house I have painted the front and back door, and not the rest of the doors, I love them both, it doesn't bother me at all that I have other visible doors that are white.

Do what your gut tells you! Good Luck

45. Olivia says

>I like the black door. Our front door is the best of both worlds. It is black but has a huge (almost the whole door) window. Our entry way is smaller than yours and would definitely be too dark without that window. Of course it's always full of little smudges now. : )
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

46. Threeundertwo says

>I think the black door is really striking. It only works if you have good lighting, which it looks like you do.

I love Finding Neverland, although it makes me cry. One of his best movies I think.

My favorite interior dec movie? Nanny McPhee. Craziest colors you've ever seen. I love that house so much.

47. Suzanne says

>I love the black interior doors! A fabulous local designer (from whom I won a bedroom makeover from -squeal!) has them throughout her home and suggested same for my small townhome. (Have yet to get around to doing this.) So, to answer your question – No. I do not think it makes the space too dark. Dramatic? Yes. Too dark? No. Your door looks wonderful!

48. Elizabeth says

>I LOVE the black door! I can see that some folks would find it darkens the room, but I think it is stunning and makes a great contrast with the white trim. I've seen homes with black trim that also looks great.

49. Anonymous says

>Love the black door. I, too, think you should paint the handrail. Makes me want to paint my front door black. Hmmm good idea.

50. simplydesigning.blogspot.com says

>I love the black door! I never would have considered that but it is beautiful!

Thanks for linking up!

51. Heather says

>Myself, I don't do black, but when the door is white, it is lost. When it's black you know its there. Are you going to put the black framed pictures back on the wall to the right of the door? I think that you should consider them as you need more than just the one point of black.

52. Tracey @ My House of Giggles says

>LOVE the black door!! I need to paint the inside of ours….we were lazy and only painted the outside last year :)

53. nc girl says

>I love the black door. I think you should paint your banister black too – to compliment it. What kind of paint did you use? Latex/oil?

54. Remodelaholic says

>Hey nc girl,

I just used a regular latex paint. In fact it was a mis-mixed paint that I got for $1.00! Yay for a good deal.

55. Tastefully Simple by Andrette says

>I absolutely LOVE the black door! I'm finally going to take the plunge and paint two the bifold doors in my hallway on Wednesday while I'm on holiday break. Hopefully, things will go well and I can do the others during my winter break. Thanks for the inspiration.

I love the contrast you created in your entry with the black door! Our builder home has a white door that I’d love to paint black, but it also has side lights that I can’t figure out if I should paint/not paint.

Is the exterior of your door also black?