Kitchen Table Refinished With Distressed Look

Kitchen Table Refinished With Distressed Look
contributed by The Backyard Boutique

I have always loved my kitchen table. Lately, though, I felt like it needed a good facelift. Once again, I failed to take decent before pictures for this project. I scoured my iPhoto and here’s the best I came up with. (Lucky for you; you get to see my cute Little Man!):

I decided to change the whole appearance of the table by painting the legs a lovely shade of Heirloom White from Home Depot (my favorite), staining the top a rich Jacobean by Miniwax (also found at Home Depot), distressing the whole thing, glazing it, and then polyurethaning the heck out of it (nine coats, to be exact). Five days and about 28 ant bites later (I worked on it outside, obviously), it’s finished and I couldn’t be more please with the results.

So, my friends, for the cost of twelve cans of spray paint (the high-end stuff, no less), a can of stain, a can of polyurethane, some sandpaper, and 5 days out of my life (I’m not kidding), I acquired (Or perhaps reacquired…?) myself a new kitchen table. And I wake up in the morning, look at it, and feel like a new person. What a steal!

Nothing like being 9 months pregnant and nesting to get my act in gear! And now on to the next project… Next up on the agenda? I’m just finished re-doing a vintage baby cradle. Come back again tomorrow and it will be posted, complete with (decent) before and after pictures. That is, unless I go into labor… Which, come to think of it, wouldn’t be so such a bad idea at this point!

Comments

1. banclothing says

>What a transformation!!!! I had a similar table to you but round and those exact chairs. I ended up replacing it but now I am kicking myself because I could have had a table just like yours!!!!!

2. Camille Farias says

>Wow. This is fabulous! I love the finish you chose for the tabletop. It compliments the distressed white perfectly.

3. Traci at ThreeDogsAtHome says

>This is simply gorgeous. Your table looks completely different and it is now one of a kind. Great job.
    Traci

4. t.erickson says

>Hi There! I am in love with your blog and ideas. I am thinking about redoing my table. Is there step by step instructions on how to do it? I also have never glazed anything, is there any pointers?!?
    Thanks,
    Tara

5. Five to Nine says

>This is in response to Tara's comment above about step-by-step instructions on how to glaze. There are fancy kinds of glaze you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's, but I'm too cheap for that. For my table project I opted just to use stain. I painted the table, distressed it to my liking, and then glazed by wiping a small amount of the stain I used for the table top on the painted part. After applying the stain, quickly take a dry cloth and wipe it off. The trick is to work on small portions at a time, or your finished product will end up streaky and unattractive. Feel free to e-mail me with any other questions at fivetoninefurnishings@yahoo.com.

• Kim J says

OK sorry about the question on top of a question ~ but did you have to sand off the glaze or whatever on the furniture? Or can I just paint over everything? (please say I can paint over everything!!) I have a round table but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work with the same paint technique eh?

6. Kate says

>THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!! I have the exact same original table and have been rolling ideas around in my head of WHAT to do with it!! This is perfect!!!! Wow, great job!!!!

7. Julie says

This is awesome. I want to redo my table too. did you sand it down first, or just start going to town?

I want to do this but sanding everything down seems like so much work.

8. Molly says

Lovely job on your kitchen table set! Thank you for sharing it…you just convinced me not to get rid of my very 80′s chairs. They already have a dark wood stain so it will only be a matter of adding the light color and distressing. It was just so hard visualizing if they’d look cute or not and hopefully they’ll turn out nearly as nice as yours. Can’t wait for spring to arrive so I can get going on them.

9. Bianca says

I just came acrossyour website looking for ideas on how to refinish an old kitchen table that I love.
    I love what you did with your table and I think it looks gorgeous!!
    I definnitelly found not only the information I needed biut also the inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing!!

10. Ginger says

I am looking to refinish my table top just like the base of your newly refinished table….What are the steps to get this look?

According to the post, she painted with spray paint, distressed it, glazed it and sealed it with plenty of coats of polyurethane. If you read through she talks about it. This however was a guest post so i can’t tell you step by step how it was done. Good Luck

11. mary Kaye Cockrell says

I have trouble with the polyurethane bubbling when i brush it on. i don’t shake the can. i gently stir it. i have tried less brushing, more brushing, sanding in between coats. Any suggestions for me .