Re-stained and Painted White: Oak Pedestal Table And Chairs

Re-stained and Painted White:
Oak Pedestal Table And Chairs
contributed by Red Hen Home

I am still on my quest to get enough of my garage cleared out for my husband to park in the garage before the frost hits! And I may just make it! :-)

I finished one of my more ambitious projects to date. Although I have finished two tables (here and here), and even eight chairs for one of those tables (here and here), I didn’t tackle them all at once. This time, however, I found a bargain I couldn’t resist, in the shape of an oak pedestal table (with leaf!) and six pressed-back chairs. They’ve been sitting in my garage for about a month now.

Yes, I already had started sanding when I remembered to take a picture! But not too much.

I love love love these chairs!

And I am still in love with the walnut top/creamy bottom combination. Sorry. I promise my next project will be something different than that (coming soon!).

I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain again. It is gorgeous on oak!

I know I put at least two coats of stain on. It could have been three! Then I gave it three coats of polyurethane.

Next I tackled the base of the table. I used a brush and gave it a coat of Zinser 1-2-3 primer. I am liking this brand better than Kilz, I think. Then I chose NOT to use Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint for this project. It would have taken a LOT of spray paint. Instead, I invested in a gallon of Sherwin Williams Creamy and brushed and sprayed it on.

Here’s what the leaf looked like with the apron painted. You can’t see any of the pretty pressed pattern, and you know what that means….

Time to do some glazing!

I chose not to use stain as my glazing medium this time, but instead I used diluted burnt umber craft paint. The color is a great match, but more importantly, I had more control than I do with stain. (You can wipe stain off to a certain extent, but not as easily as paint.) I brushed the diluted paint on liberally, waited a few minutes, and then wiped with a damp rag to remove the excess. In the picture above, the left leg has been glazed, while the right leg has not.

The difference really shows in the chairs. Above, the left chair is un-glazed, compared to the right glazed chair. I had to use the brush to get all those little crevices saturated with color, and then wipe off the flat surfaces. Certainly glazing of any kind does darken the overall color of the chair, but not nearly as much as stain would have–in fact I don’t think I would have been able to get the contrast I wanted with stain in this instance.

Doesn’t the table apron look better now?

Lastly I distressed the chairs and the table base. I didn’t really do anything to the pressed pattern; it stood out well with just the glazing. But all the spindles and corners and curves got worked over. It just seems more practical to me to distress a piece–and that’s probably because I am the mother of six! Things are going to get distressed whether I like it or not…so it’s just less traumatic if it looks like it’s on purpose!

So here are some “after” shots…

Four chairs with no leaf…
A shot of some great legs….

And six chairs with the leaf inserted.

I was so tempted to bring it in my house to see how it would look. But my 13-year-old and 11-year-old house slaves groaned at the prospect, and I caved to unpopular demand!

I have been searching and searching and searching the classifieds for a table of my own to do this with. I have seen a couple that would be perfect (for example, a HUGE Pottery Barn table that was sold for seventy-five dollars), but I have been too late each time!

So…if anyone comes across a likely prospect in the Salt Lake area, let me know! I need something that can easily accomodate eight people (about 78″), with leaves that can handle up to twelve (96″ or more). I dream of chunky turned legs and a plank-style top. Cross your fingers for me!

Comments

1. Korrie@RedHenHome says

>THANK YOU for the feature, and thanks for the sweet comments! Can't wait for warmer weather so I can get back into my garage!

2. Janet says

>Oh Em Gee! I have that same exact table! I have convinced myself to paint it black, but now that I see what you've done here, I'm rethinking it!!! It looks fantastic!!!

3. Cherie says

>That is gorgeous! Love the detail that the glazing shows. I would love to find something like this for my dining area.

4. Amy says

I have the exact same table, I just got done staining the top in dark walnut with the second coat, and needless to say, it is far lighter than yours… I don’t think the wood is taking the stain well and I don’t know what to do

Amy, did you condition the wood? Also, with my projects it usually takes several coats to darken the color, just do it one at a time til you reach the color you like! GOOD LUCK!

5. Dawn says

Did you just sand the wood or use a stripping compound? What kind of sandpaper did you use, and did you sand in between polyurethane coats. Just wondering, table looks great.

6. Julie says

I have the same table as well, any suggestions for sanding and staining the chairs–this would be my first refinishing experience and am all ears for suggestions. also did u use sandpaper or the handheld sander?

Hey Julie, Also Korrie, who submitted this project does all sort of refinishing and painting, if you hop on over to her blog I am sure she might have some more pointers (link at the top of the post!)

Julie, I would probably use an orange based paint stripper, because getting around all the rounded parts(can’t think of the word, for the life of me!) is not going to be as easy with sanding paper. Once it is all cleaned up, simply lightly sand, and then stain and poly. In case you can’t get everything totally off, you might talk to painting store about use the stain plus poly… it might save you a lot of stripping if you can just clean you chairs really well and add the new stain over the top… but talk to a paint guy at the store, or test on the bottom of the seat on the chair first to see how it turns out.

7. Lcortez says

Hi, I love what you have done. I am I’m the hunt for this set actually and I will attempt this, it is so nice! I did have one question, what did you mean when you said you sprayed and brushed the creamy on the chairs? Thanks!

8. PUNXYPA says

THANK YOU! I have this EXACT table and chairs and really wanted to update them because I love the table base so much. I just stained the leaf and am starting the table top now. So excited. If my stuff comes out anything close to your pics I will be EXTATIC! So again, thanks for posting this great idea.

9. Kristina says

I have just finished painting a table like this! Bought it from craigslist for 50 $, didnt want the chairs. Mine is whitewashed top, solid white bottom, gray in the carvings. I love you combination :) Something to consider for a future project!