Custom Computer Desk Plans

I am so excited to share with you our new, custom computer desk plans.  Since we work on this blog together a lot, we desperately needed an office desk that would sit two people comfortably.

One thing that we love to do at our house  is use old things in new ways, it is a great budget saver and less wasteful.  We were able to use parts of  an old walnut desk that we received for free.  At the time I took the desk, I did not know exactly how I was going to use it, but I knew that it had potential.

After some thought of what we wanted in a new computer desk I realized that I could use the top of the old desk for our new desk.  It is very strong and can easily span six feet without any middle supports.  Because, we wanted it as open as possible for plenty of leg room and no supports to bump our knees on.

Today, I wanted to only show you our design and we will be posting about the final product soon.  So stay tuned to see how the actual desk turned out.

Custom 2 person desk building plans

Below is a list of  the tools and materials that I used on this project.  You will also find the steps that I used to assemble the desk

List of tools used:

• circular saw
  • miter saw
  • Kreg jig
  • orbital sander
  • drill
Back story on the tools:  A little while ago, a friend of mine came over asking me to help him learn how to use his new jig.  It was a Kreg  Jig .  I was so impressed with the ease of using it that I had to get one of my own.  This jig is awesome,  have about 80 projects in the works now that I have it.  100 times better that the one we have used in the past.  I am a huge fan and would recommend it to anyone.   It is so easy to use and it this takes out the need for using glue with your joints.  It’s that strong.  AND unlike my cheap old jig, it has all the marks set up for you depending on the thickness of the wood and type.

List of materials used:

• old wood desk top
  • 2×4 lumber
  • 1×4 lumber
  • white latex paint
  • walnut stain
  • polyurethane
  • angle brackets
  • screws

Below I have attached images of the steps that I used, for you to see how I assembled my custom computer desk.

Assembly instructions:

step 1

step 2

step 3

step 4

step 5

step 6

This length is optional, depending on how long you want your desk.  Mine are 67″ long.

This is where the Kreg  Jig for pocket hole joints comes in handy.  I used pocket holes here because I wanted to disassemble the desk to make it easy to move around the house, since it is a big desk.

step 7

step 8

step 9

My desk top is 75″ long with a one inch overhang on the sides and front.

step 10

the final custom computer desk

Check out the reveal for more pictures here.

What do you think?

Do you want to build one to?

Let us know if you do and how it turned out.

Have fun building and be safe!

Comments

1. Tracy says

My Husband and I have been trying to find that perfect desk that will accomodate us both at the same time. I love the style of this one! We were thinking about building one with the short end coming out from against the wall; that way we could each have one side, but I am really liking your’s!

2. Jeff says

When you say “fasten” in step 2 what did you mean? Did you use screws and glue? Where did you place the screws? My guess was that it was fastened where you placed the tenon’s. I’m thinking of doing this in my loft. The desk looks awesome!! Any thoughts for a substitute desk surface? Maybe a solid core door?

Jeff- Yes, nails! They end up being sandwiched in between or covered by the faux tenons, so you don’t see them (and if all else fails, just patch over the little holes!). And yes, I think that a solid core door would be ideal. I would check out your local Habitat Restore… If You do this I would love to see how it turns out!

3. Andreas says

Cool Desk!! I’m going to wipe one up for our computer room so my wife and I can share one desk. It will make more room for her arts and crafts. :)

4. Patty says

Love this! Just asked my husband to make us one. Since we don’t have an old desk top, any suggestions on what to use in place of?

Patty, you could use an old solid door, or 2×10 planks, or anything strong and thick enough to span the distance and still support the weight.

• James says

Patty, you could also use 2×6′s, use the kreg jig (highly recommended, Love it) to butt them side by side for what ever width you want, then use contact cement, liquid nail or whatever glue you want and put down a hard board for the desk surface. That is what I am currently in the process of finishing up. Just a thought.

5. John says

Thank you for the visuals here. Very easy to follow! Did you design the table using SketchUp? Love that program.

6. Steve says

Didn’t see any info about constructing the computer desk TOP???

Otherwise, very nice desk design and informative plans. Love the drawings too. Care to explain how you drew those? (software used? by hand?)

Steve, the top was from an old desk that a friend gave us. I just had to cut it to width. The plans were drawn in Sketchup! It’s free and great for making plans.

7. Rusty says

Did you use a larger board across the top for your legs? 4 1/4 ? The bottom one was 3 1/2 ? Your drawing depicts a larger board but your material list only list 2x 4 and 1x 4.
    Looks very nice I’m going to build this for my wife.

Rusty, you are right about the board being bigger. Thanks for pointing that out. I did use a bigger board so that it didn’t get lost underneath the table top. you can build it with just 1×4′s or add a wider board on top. It would work either way. It was just something that my wife wanted to do for the looks of it. Good luck with your project.

8. Betty819 says

I recall reading that the table was 74 or 75 in. long, did you give the width of the table and I missed it? I share a home office with DH but I’ve more or less taken it over but his big honking cherry desk is still in this room and it’s so heavy, even the movers complained when they bought moved it for us. I could hardly lift the ends 1/2 in. to get furniture gliders under it by myself and I’m a strong person.
    I’m going to measure off the length of 74 or 75 in.tomorrow and see where it comes to, if that would work for me. Beautiful job and I love the table! What is the overall height?