Better Than Nutter Butters!

I think I’ve mentioned that my husband has a thing for peanut butter.  If peanut butter were a woman, I’d be in trouble, cuz I am pretty sure he’d marry her.  But lucky for me, I can use my skills in the kitchen to get straight to my hubby’s heart through his belly with a simple recipe calling for- you guessed it a little peanut butter!

Okay so what makes this recipe so divine?  (cuz it really is heaven sent…)  It has to be the oatmeal peanut butter cookie.  The cookie alone can stand on it’s own little, crumbly soft feet, but add that creamy frosting, and really it is one of those things you just won’t forget.

By the way, don’t take my word for it, we gave them out in our Christmas cookie bags this year, and I’ve never had more people ask for a recipe- ever!

Nutter butter cookies recipe5 copy

2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats

For the filling:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter, preferably Skippy
3 1/3 cups confectioners’ sugar.

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make the cookies, in a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; use a whisk to combine, set aside. Using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and peanut butter. Add sugars and beat at medium speed for 4 minutes, scraping down bowl twice.

At low speed, add eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until well mixed, frequently scraping down bowl. Add oats, and mix well.

Using a small scoop, place balls of dough on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies have spread and turned very light golden brown, about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool and firm up, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely before filling.

To make the filling: Cream together the butter, peanut butter and confectioners’ sugar until very smooth.

To assemble cookies, I used my mini cookie scoop and added a scoop of the filling then sandwiched it  with another cookie. Repeat (try not to eat more than three while you finish frosting them all!)

IMG_2278

Nutter butter cookies

Recipe adapted from Bouchon Bakery’s Homemade Nutter Butters recipe.

Comments

1. bethany says

1 pound of butter and 1 cup of peanut butter in the dough alone!? HOLY COW! these look so good. now i just need an excuse to make them.

I am making these right now. As we speek, a batch of the cookies are in the oven! Mmmmm! They are absolutely delectable! Melt in your mouth (literally) delicious. It’s like heaven in my mouth :)

(When I saw the amount of butter, I was shocked too, but this recipe does make a lot of cookies, so really the amount of butter per cookie is probably not too unhealthy!)

They are delicious, I am SO glad you like them! (by the way, can’t remember if I mentioned it or not but the dough freezes really well and the frosting too) So make a third or so and freeze the left over for another day!)

Yep, they are! (but I definitely didn’t claim them to be diet in anyway) I made these and gave all but maybe ten away, one or two indulgent cookies, for special occasions will not give you a heart attack.

3. Danielle says

I cannot wait to try these. I am gluten intolerant and Nutter Butter was my favorite cookie. I have missed them so and this is the first recipe I have seen since going gluten free 12 years ago that actually has me excited. Thanks you so much for sharing!!!

4. Casey says

I tried these cookies and they were delicious. Everyone I made them for loved them. I want to make them again but mine turned out really flat. Anything I can do to fix that?

Casey, Mine turn out flat too. I think you would have to do some major recipe tweaking to fluff them up, however, what helped me control the size was using a really small cookie scoop (the pampered chef small version, but they also have a really decent scoop at Walmart almost the exact same size) That way they didn’t run out all over and become one giant cookie (which is what happened the first time I made them! Good luck, hope that helps a little bit!

5. Rodney Dopps says

Your recipe is more elabert than mine. I tried to come up with something a little healthy; so, like you; I used oatmeal. I put some quick oats in a mini chopper because I thought the oats were a little large and was looking for more of a flour. After I run the chopper for a few minutes the oats were perfect. I made up the peanut butter recipe creamed the butter and sugar and added oats in measuring cup adding remainder with all purpose flour. Flopped it out on counter and noticed it was a little sticky? I then folded in some flour to be able to roll with a pin. I was looking for an inch to inch and a half, and found a shot glass was the perfect size. And I’ve had was told not to make anymore ’cause they are so addictive.

6. Cheryl says

Made these this evening !!! They are Outstanding !!!!! Mine were flat , but my hubby didn’t care . He was happy happy happy !!!! THANK YOU !!!! ♡ ♡ ♡