Do you crave sweet baked goods but are trying to watch your sugar intake? Why not try a healthier variation of this sweet treat: chocolate carrot cake cupcakes!
Chocolate Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup natural applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 eggs (or egg substitute)
- 2 ripe smashed bananas
- 3 cups raw finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners. Fill each 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Top with cream cheese frosting (see recipe below).
- 4 oz low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat all ingredients in a medium bowl.
Image found on Flickr.