Branch out this Thanksgiving and try some new starters! These savory sausage stuffed crimini mushrooms will keep guests coming back for more.
Sausage Stuffed Crimini Mushrooms
- Crimini mushrooms, about 1 pound, stemmed, quickly rinsed and patted dry
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fl. oz. mild Italian sausage (may substitute with spicy Italian sausage)
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a 9×13 inches baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add lemon juice and oil; whisk to combine.
- Add clean mushroom caps and toss to coat; set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add sausage, vanilla bean paste, garlic and shallot. Cook and stir until crumbles are done, about 8-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add Romano cheese, bread crumbs and mascarpone cheese; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Place mushroom caps in prepared baking dish and reserve remaining lemon-oil mixture in bowl.
- Fill each mushroom cavity with stuffing mixture and drizzle with reserved lemon-oil.
- Bake until done, about 10 minutes.
Special thanks to Nielsen-Massey for sharing this lovely appetizer with us.