The soft egg balances the crunchiness of the almonds and saltiness of the bacon and Parmigiano Reggiano in this summer arugula salad. A creamy shallot Dijon vinaigrette provides the perfect finish!
Summer Arugula Salad
- 2 Tbsp finely diced shallot
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt (or more to taste)[br][br]
- 1/2 c thick cut bacon, chopped
- 2 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg(s)
- 2-3 c baby arugula
- 1/4 c toasted slivered almonds
- shaved Parmigiano Reggiano to taste
- To prepare the vinaigrette, combine the shallots, mustard, vinegars, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a jar and shake vigorously to emulsify. This can also be done in a blender.
- Cook the bacon in a medium sized skillet over low heat to slowly render out the fat. Turn the heat up to medium and continue cooking until the bacon is slightly caramelized and crisp. Remove from the heat and drain on paper towels for several minutes. Chop and set aside.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the soft boiled eggs. Allow the eggs to chill in an ice water bath for several minutes before peeling to avoid wilting the greens. Peel and slice the eggs lengthwise right before plating.
- Arrange the arugula, bacon, eggs, almonds and Parmigiano on two plates. Drizzle with shallot Dijon vinaigrette and serve.
A big thank you to Davidson's Safest Choice for sharing this beautiful salad.