This baja fish tacos recipe brings your favorite Mexican restaurant dish to your dinner table! Easy ingredients and simple prep will have these tangy tacos and fish sauce ready in 30 minutes for your Taco Tuesday menu or Cinco de Mayo fiesta.
Homemade Baja Fish Tacos
Love fish tacos but want to make them at home? It’s so easy! The simple but delicious seasoned and beer-battered fish filet takes less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook.
The make-ahead fish sauce is perfect to prepare before work to have ready for quick dinner idea. (Also a good reminder to pull the fish out of the freezer, if using frozen tilapia.)
How to Make Baja Fish Tacos at Home
- Prepare tangy fish sauce in advance, to chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Mix beer batter ingredients — or make non-alcoholic by subbing in ginger ale or sprite for the beer.
- Dip fish in flour mixture and then in the prepared batter, then fry in a frying pan. Drain on a paper towel and keep warm in pre-heated oven.
- Assemble your tacos with 1-2 pieces of fish, tangy cabbage slaw, and fish sauce in your favorite tortillas. Top with pico de gallo or salsa cruda, plus sour cream, avocado (or guacamole), and lime.
Baja Fish Tacos Recipe
Baja Fish Tacos
- 2 pounds firm whitefish such as tilapia, cod, or red snapper fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour divided
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup beer **see notes
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- vegetable oil for frying
- 4-6 tortillas
- 1 cup sour cream regular, light or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sriracha or hot sauce to taste optional
- Red cabbage or cabbage slaw mix
- Salsa or Pico de Gallo
- Lime wedges
- Thaw fish if frozen; rinse and pat dry with paper towel.
- To make batter, in a medium bowl, combine ¾ cup flour, cornstarch, paprika and baking powder.
- Add beer and egg and stir until batter is combined well, but slightly lumpy.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees and place a sheet pan inside to warm.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 inch of oil for frying to 375 degrees F.
- Add remaining ¾ cup flour to a shallow dish.
- Dip fish in flour, shake off excess.
- Dip into batter and fry, 4-5 pieces at a time, depending on the size of your skillet for 2-4 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Drain on paper towel, place on sheet pan in oven to keep warm.
- Fry remaining fish.
- Serve 1-2 pieces of fish on tortillas with fish taco sauce and toppings of your choice.
Fish Sauce (to be made in advance)
- Whisk together all ingredients in medium bowl until well combined.
- Store in covered jar in refrigerator.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with Fish Tacos.
More delicious taco recipes:
- Beef Brisket Tacos
- Chicken Taco Quesadillas
- Black Bean Quinoa Picadillo Taco Filling
- 25 Delicious Taco Tuesday Recipes
Remember to pin this to save it for later and share with your friends!