These banana bread pancakes are fluffy, sweet and just a bit crispy on the edges, basically they are everything a good pancake should be. Best of all? They are only made with staple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. Whip up a batch for breakfast, or dinner.
When it comes to pancakes I was a firm believer that simple was best. I would order buttermilk pancakes or plain pancakes and be so happy with them I never thought about making anything else. That was until I found myself with some bananas about to go bad and not a lot of ingredients on hand. Well, maybe I could make some banana pancakes?
And oh my. It was the best decision I could ever make! These pancakes are not only banana pancakes (though we do love banana pancakes and banana crepes). No, not at all. They taste like a banana bread but shaped like a fluffy pancake.
How to make banana bread pancakes
The secret to making the best banana bread pancakes is using ripe bananas. You really want to grab the ones that are just about to go bad because those are the sweetest ones. You can also use your ripe bananas to make this banana blueberry smoothie.
However if your bananas are not as ripe you can totally cheat the process.
Here’s the thing:
If you sautee your bananas with a little bit of butter or oil and a brown sugar sprinkle (or pour some maple syrup or hover) then your bananas caramelize and become instantly sweet.
That’s the trick I always use when I want to make the most delicious banana bread pancakes. Honestly it’s also the same trick I use when I want to make any kind of banana bread or when I want to whip up a batch of these banana zucchini cookies.
Related Reading: 10 fun pancake syrup recipes
How to prevent banana pancakes from being mushy?
Some people don’t really like banana bread pancakes because they find them to be mushy. However they are not supposed to be like that! They should be light and airy and super fluffy.
If you want your banana pancakes to be light and airy make sure you are adding just the right amount of bananas and that your griddle is set to medium heat.
If you are cooking them with high heat there are good chances they will cook super fast on the outside but remain raw (aka: mushy) inside.
Banana Bread Pancakes
- 1 Banana
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
- ½ Cup flour
- ¼ Cup milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sliced banana and cook for 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and with the help of a form mush it. Add the milk and mix until incorporated. Add baking powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg. Slowly incorporate the flour and mix until just barely incorporated, you should have some lumps left.
- Heat a griddle to medium heat and grease it with a bit of butter. Pour around ¼ Cup of the batter and cook for 2 minutes or until small bubbles appear on top. Flip and cook for 1 more minute.
More breakfast pancake recipes:
- Sour Cream Blueberry Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Zucchini Pancakes
- Healthy Yogurt Pancake Poppers
- Whole Wheat Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Bacon Cornbread Pancakes