This best-ever pumpkin cake recipe is my go-to fall dessert! All my favorite pumpkin spice cake flavors, topped with sweet cream cheese frosting, and enough to serve a crowd. Yum!
Best Ever Pumpkin Cake
When fall rolls around each year, I start craving soup (any kind!) and this pumpkin cake. And Reese’s, but that always my go-to, not just at Halloween.
Why does this pumpkin cake make the best ever list?
Perfect pumpkin flavor. I’m a big fan of pumpkin recipes, so it’s hard to go wrong, but this pumpkin cake gets it all right. Not overpowering but not too sweet.
Sweet cream cheese frosting. Even my family members who don’t love cream cheese LOVE this cream cheese frosting on pumpkin cake. It is literally the icing on the cake 😉
So you see, I saved the best for last on this year’s Pumpkin Festival of Recipes. 😉
See more best pumpkin recipes here.
How to Make Pumpkin Cake from Scratch
This pumpkin cake from scratch is so easy! Nothing temperamental or high-maintenance — just make sure you’ve got pure pumpkin puree, either canned or fresh made.
Beat the eggs and add sugar, oil, and pumpkin puree.
Then whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice (homemade is easy 😉
Then just blend the dry ingredients into the wet pumpkin puree mixture.
Pour into a greased 9×13 pan and bake!
I’ve also made a more Texas sheet cake style pumpkin cake by pouring the batter into a larger baking sheet/jelly roll pan — perfect for a fall festival potluck with plenty to share!
Whip up a quick batch of cream cheese frosting (recipe below) — then just cut yourself a slice and enjoy!
Don’t miss our other Pumpkin Festival recipes!
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Whipped Cinnamon Butter
- Buttery Pecan and Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Dip for Apples
- Brown Butter Pumpkin Ravioli
Best Pumpkin Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 4 large eggs room temperature, beaten
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can 15 oz pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 package 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar depending on the consistency
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Coat a 13x9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and dust with flour
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs
- Add sugar, oil and pumpkin puree and mix until smooth
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth
- Evenly spread batter into prepared baking pan
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Remove from oven onto wire rack and cool completely
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth
- Gradually add powdered sugar mixing well after each addition until desired consistency
- Add vanilla and mix well
- Frost cake
- Serve immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve
- Store leftovers in refrigerator in airtight container