Fresh peaches are a highlight of summer, and they taste delicious baked in this easy peach crisp recipe and topped with ice cream or whipped cream.
Fresh Peach Crisp
This fresh peach crisp recipe comes together easily in under an hour with basic ingredients — and don’t wait for it to cool, just drop the ice cream on top while it’s hot!
What’s the difference between peach cobbler and peach crisp?
Cobblers and crisps are some of the most common baked fruit desserts – so what’s the difference?
Cobbler usually has a biscuit or cake like component with the fruit. We call our peach dump cake a “faux” peach cobbler because it has similar flavors and textures, but using a cake mix is a cheater cobbler trick that makes it even easier to make!
A fruit crisp, on the other hand typically uses butter, flour, and oats for a firmer, crispier texture topping the fruit. Thus the name “crisp”.
Need a wheat-free version? Try this gluten free apple crisp.
How to prepare fresh peaches
Working with fresh peaches provides that fresh tartness that canned peaches lack — definitely worth the bit of extra effort!
To prepare your fresh peaches for peach crisp:
- Peel and slice peaches.
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Add sugar and toss to coat the peach slices.
Related Reading: More fruit recipes you’ll love
While the sugar sweetens up the peaches, prepare the cinnamon and oat crumble topping.
Combine the brown sugar, flour, quick oats, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then stir in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
Finish up by draining any extra juice off the peaches and putting them in a buttered pan. Then sprinkle the oat crumble topping evenly over the top.
Bake and enjoy warm with a scoop of ice cream!
More baked fruit desserts you’ll love:
Fresh Peach Crisp Recipe
- 6-8 3-4 pounds peaches, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar more depending on sweetness of peaches
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup oats quick cooking
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened plus more for coating pan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Butter square 8x8 baking pan
- Peel and slice peaches, add to large bowl
- Add lemon juice
- Add sugar and toss to coat, set aside for 15 minutes
- To make the topping - In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined
- Mix butter into mixture until crumbly, set aside
- Drain excess juice from peaches, add peaches back into bowl
- Stir in flour, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon
- Add peaches to prepared baking pan
- Evenly sprinkle crumb topping
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve warm or room temperature with vanilla ice cream, if desired
Remember to pin to save this for later and share!