Ginger chicken fried rice is a delicious and healthier alternative to take out! Super quick to make and using ingredients you probably already have on hand this recipe will surely become a staple in your home.
Fried rice is one of those recipes we all should know. It’s easy, quick, delicious and perfect for the whole family. It’s also one of those recipes that can be made with pretty much anything you have in your pantry or fridge and one of the easiest to customize.
And want to know a little secret? This DIY version is even better than takeout and that comes from someone that loves her takeout. The reason? The flavors are bold but not in an overpowering way. It’s also way less oily and greasy than the one at restaurants. Best of all? It’s even faster to make than waiting for the delivery guy to arrive.
How to make the best ginger chicken fried rice
The secret to making the most flavorful and delicious fried rice in the whole world is simple: Let your ingredients caramelize in the pan.
Simply put you want your mushrooms and chicken to get all golden and crispy on the edges. To do that just let them cook, untouched, for a couple of minutes before tossing, turning and flipping.
Those little caramelized bits pack a whole bunch of flavor + everyone loves a good golden crispy piece of chicken (and talking about chicken, make sure you also check this recipe for Teriyaki Chicken Wings!)
Making fried rice without rice
If you are following a low carb or keto diet you are probably wondering if you can make this ginger chicken fried rice recipe and the answer is a resounding yes!
Just swap the rice for cauliflower rice and cook for a couple of minutes less since cauliflower soaks up sauce faster than traditional rice.
Or mix rice and cauliflower rice to slash your carbs in half. If you are craving the asian inspired flavors but prefer something even more packed with veggies make sure to check this Oriental Chicken Salad recipe too.
Actually, this recipe is a great base to make with noodles or zucchini too so feel free to customize it to what you are craving.
Ginger Chicken Fried Rice
- ⅓ Cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 4 Eggs beaten
- 5 Tbsp oil
- 1 Inch ginger grated
- 2 ½ Cups mushrooms sliced
- 4 Tbsp green onion
- 2 Chicken breasts diced
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 Cups spinach chopped
- 3 Cups rice cooked
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil and cook the eggs, scrambling until just set. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 1 more Tbsp oil and cook the mushrooms for 3 minutes per side or until golden on the edges. Add green onion, ginger and garlic cloves cook for 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until just wilted (around 4 minutes). Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the chicken for around 4 minutes per side or until golden and crispy. Add half the soy sauce and cook for 1 more minute stirring.
- Incorporate rice, veggies and egg and mix. Pour the remaining sauce and cook for around 4 minutes stirring constantly so everything gets coated.
More Asian-inspired recipes that are faster (and better) than takeout:
- Best Homemade Orange Chicken (from scratch)
- 10 Minute Butter Chicken
- One Pot Thai Basil Curry
- 20 Minute Vegetarian Curry