Grilled pizza is a great easy summer recipe for grilling fans! Take a break from burgers and hot dogs to make this easy grilled pizza margherita recipe, or use your favorite toppings to create your own grilled pizza masterpiece.
Related Reading: Tips for Successful Grilling
How to Make Grilled Pizza at Home
Grilling your own pizza on the BBQ is a great way to cook an easy pizza dinner without using the oven to heat up your house!
First, gather your ingredients:
- pizza crust (pre-made or using the crust recipe from our pizza recipe here or this recipe here)
- pizza sauce (pre-made or using the sauce recipe from our deep dish pizza recipe here)
- toppings: handmade mozzarella cheese and fresh basil for margherita pizza, or any combination of fresh herbs and vegetables and meat that you like.
Then, prep the pizza crust:
- Roll out a thin rectangle of pizza dough to fit the grill.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat, and coat the grates with vegetable oil.
- Cook the pizza for 2-3 minutes, until the crust is grilled and brown.
Finish with toppings:
- Flip the crust on the grates.
- Add sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
Read More: Beyond Burgers – 28 Unique Grilling Recipes
Topping Ideas for Grilled Pizza
You can add any toppings you like to grilled pizza to create your own delicious pizza at home. Some of our favorite topping combinations:
Margherita Pizza: a simple rustic Italian combination of cubed mozzarella cheese (fresh is best!) and fresh basil leaves with marinara sauce. You can also add fresh tomatoes and a sprinkling of fresh grated parmesan cheese.
Meat Lovers: Italian sausage, chopped pepperoni, bacon, ham, and grilled chicken (with shredded mozzarella and marinara sauce)
Traditional Twist: from our deep dish pizza recipe – ground beef, Italian sausage, onion, and yellow red peppers for a contrast from the traditional red or green pepper
BBQ Chicken: grilled chicken chunks, pineapple, bacon bits, and red onion (with Monterey Jack cheese and barbecue sauce)
Hamburger and Grape Tomato: use the grape tomatoes from your garden, paired with ground beef and onions – easy and delicious
What to Serve With Grilled Pizza
Grilled pizza is an all-in-one dish (fruits, veggies, meat and grains!) We like to pair it with a fun summer drink to cool off and follow up with a grilled dessert like these. Try basil passionfruit lemonade or a strawberry coconut mocktail!
Grilled Pizza Margherita
- Pizza Dough - homemade or store bought
- Pizza sauce - homemade or store bought
- Flour for rolling out dough
- Olive oil for pizza
- Vegetable Oil for grill
- Mozzarella cheese shredded or sliced
- Parmesan cheese shredded
- Italian sausage cooked
- Ham diced
- Chicken cooked and diced
- Green peppers or multi-colored peppers
- Red or white onions
- Black olives sliced
- Fresh herbs
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Prepare sauce and all toppings, set aside
- Roll out pizza dough into a thin rectangle using a small dusting of flour so the dough doesn’t stick. Place dough on large baking sheet or pizza paddle
- Heat grill to medium-high heat
- Coat grates of grill with vegetable oil using a folded paper towel
- Slide pizza dough onto heated grates
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until bottom is lightly brown
- Flip pizza over and brush lightly with olive oil
- Spread on pizza sauce and top with mozzarella cheese and toppings of your choice
- Close the lid and grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and toppings are lightly browned
- Remove from grill and transfer to cutting board
- Add fresh herbs and parmesan cheese if desired
- Serve immediately
More pizza recipes with a twist: