This instant pot chicken and rice recipe is delicious and healthy for a quick weeknight meal! The carrots, peas, and mushrooms make it healthy, and using the pressure cooker makes it easy and cooks the chicken to perfectly tender.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
My Instant Pot is one of my favorite kitchen devices. It makes some of our favorite meals even easier!
Now, the Instant Pot isn’t from Star Trek, delivering hot and piping food *instantly* from a dispenser in the wall. (That would be the ultimate dream!)
But the pressure cooker makes it easy to prep the meal while doing other things, so I spend less hands-on time cooking. That’s a win for me!
I also love that it doesn’t heat up the house during the summer like a traditional stovetop recipe.
This chicken and rice is an easy comfort food style dish, with just a few ingredients and it comes together quickly! All the wins!
What’s in Instant Pot Chicken and Rice?
Every cook’s recipe is a little bit different, and you can adjust to your preferences easily.
- long grain rice
Cooked with oregano, parsley, and chicken broth, then topped with parmesan cheese.
How to Make One Pot Chicken and Rice in the Instant Pot
First, saute the vegetables in the pot. Then add the spices and herbs, plus salt and pepper to taste.
Rinse the rice, then add it to the pot. Next add the sliced mushrooms on top, then the broth.
Place the chicken breasts on top and cover and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
Allow a natural release, then remove and shred the chicken.
Stir in the shredded chicken with peas and parsley. Serve with parmesan cheese.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - canola or vegetable will work as well
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ cups uncooked long grain rice rinsed well
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas optional
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped plus more for garnish if desired
- Parmesan cheese optional for serving
- Set instant pot to saute on high, add butter, oil, onion and carrots
- Saute until soft and golden, stirring occasionally for about 4-5 minutes
- Add minced garlic and oregano, stir and cook about 1 minute or until fragrant
- Add salt and pepper to chicken, set aside
- Rinse rice well, add to pot
- Clean and slice mushrooms, add to pot
- Pour chicken broth into pot covering rice and vegetables, add more broth if needed
- Place chicken breasts on top of rice mixture
- Cover and cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes
- When done, allow instant pot to naturally release pressure
- Remove lid, remove chicken and shred into bite size pieces
- Stir in ¼ cup chopped parsley, peas and chicken
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese and parsley if desired
More easy one pot recipes for dinner: