Apple crostata is an easy variation of apple pie. This open-faced rustic apple tart, sometimes called a galette, has all the flavors of apple pie with less stress.
What is Apple Crostata?
Apple Crostata is a simple version of apple pie — given a fancy Italian name!
If we wanted to use French terms, we’d call it a galette (like this raspberry galette, yum!).
This easy crostata uses from-scratch pie crust and is left open faced, so it’s perfect for apple lovers who want more apple and less crust in their pie.
How to Make Apple Crostata
Similar to homemade apple pie, we start by making the crust.
Combine flour, sugar and salt, then cut in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly.
Add ice water in very small amounts until the dough is moist and forms a ball.
Roll the dough into a 12-inch round and place it in the pie tin or pan.
Next, make the apple pie filling!
Sprinkle the sliced apples with sugar and flour, then sprinkle with apple pie spice.
Place the apples in the center of the crust.
Fold the edges of the dough over the apple mixture.
The dough won’t cover all the apples like a traditional apple pie — just enough to form a good edge crust to hold all the filling nicely in the pie.
Bake and serve with ice cream, whipped cream, and/or a drizzle of caramel!
More delicious fall apple recipes:
- apple cider donuts
- apple turnovers
- gluten-free apple crisp
- mini apple pie rosettes
- roasted stuffed apples with cinnamon meringue
Easy Apple Crostata Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter cold and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 4 cups 4 medium apples peeled, cored and sliced or chopped
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple pie spice **see notes
- caramel homemade or store bought (optional)
- vanilla ice cream optional
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt
- Cut butter into flour mixture until well combined into large crumbles using a pastry blender, fork or food processor
- Add ice water a little at time until dough is moistened and comes together in a ball
- Form into ball and flatten to round disk
- Roll dough on floured surface with rolling pin to about 12 inches round
- In a large bowl, add sliced apples
- Sprinkle with sugar and flour and toss to coat
- Sprinkle with apple pie spice and toss to coat
- Pile apples in the center of the crust
- Fold edges of dough over apple mixture, crimping the edges slightly
- Bake for 45-50 minutes
- Serve warm or room temperature with your favorite toppings
Please pin this to save it and share with your friends!