This delicious Monte Cristo sandwich recipe is perfect for a special morning breakfast or brunch. Tasty and filling, it’s a favorite breakfast sandwich you can make at home!
Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
With a French-inspired beginning and popularity maintained by Disneyland restaurants, the Monte Cristo breakfast sandwich is a perfectly delightful mix of sweet and savory.
What you need to make a Monte Cristo sandwich
- bread: Texas toast or your favorite thick white bread
- thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- spreadable brie
- pure maple syrup
- strawberry preserves or jam
- powdered sugar
- fresh strawberries and any other fresh fruit (as a side)
How to make a Monte Cristo sandwich
Step 1: Brie and Ham
Building this breakfast sandwich is much like building any other sandwich. Start with the spreadable brie, smooth it over 4 of the pieces of bread. Add several slices of ham, covering the brie, then top with the remaining bread slices.
Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat, using butter or cooking spray to keep your sandwich from sticking.
Step 2: Eggs, Milk and Syrup
The next step in the Monte Cristo sandwich recipe is just like making French toast. In a shallow and wide bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and syrup. Then, holding each sandwich carefully but firmly, dip both sides in the liquid. Allow the mixture to soak into the bread, but not all the way through and without getting the bread really soggy (it won’t cook up well if too wet).
If you’re a maker of French toast, try to dip the sandwich the same as you do your French toast. If you’re new to this, try one sandwich at a time and see if you like how the texture turns out. I prefer the bread to firm up and to cook fast, so I dip mine as quickly as I can and get it onto the preheated pan.
Step 3: Cook
Place the sandwich on the skillet or griddle and let each side reach a golden brown color (usually 2-3 minutes). If you flip a sandwich and find the first side is not as cooked as you like, let the second side cook, then give the first side a bit longer when the second side is done.
If you’re finding the inside is not as warm/melty as you want, turn down the temperature a bit and let the sandwiches cook for longer at the lower temp.
Step 4: Cut and Serve with Toppings
Cut the sandwiches in half diagonally for easier eating. Spread your desired amount of strawberry preserves on top and shake on some powdered sugar. Serve with the fresh strawberries and/or other fruit.
Monte Cristo Sandwich Recipe
- Cooking spray or butter as needed for greasing pan
- 8 slices Texas toast or your preferred thick bread
- 10 oz thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- ½ wheel spreadable brie
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp pure maple syrup
- 13 oz jar strawberry preserves
- Powdered sugar for topping
- Fresh strawberries and/or other fresh fruit as side
- Spread brie on 4 slices of Texas toast. Next, place several slices of Black Forest ham on top of brie, topping off with the remaining 4 pieces of Texas toast.
- Combine and whisk eggs, milk, and maple syrup in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Heat a skillet or griddle to medium after greasing with cooking spray or butter. Carefully dip both sides of each sandwich in the liquid, allowing enough of the mixture to soak into the sandwich without getting too soggy. *Because we are using a thicker bread, we don't want the milk/egg mixture to soak all the way through.
- Place the sandwich on the skillet or griddle and let each side reach a golden brown color (usually 2-3 ½ minutes) before removing. Spread your desired amount of strawberry preserves and powdered sugar on top and serve with fresh strawberries and/or other fruit.
We hope you enjoy this Monte Cristo sandwich recipe!
More breakfast recipes you might enjoy: