Make a delicious autumn breakfast with homemade pumpkin pancakes from scratch, topped with whipped cinnamon butter. Pumpkin spice pancakes made in 15 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. Learn more and read our full disclosure policy here.
Homemade Pumpkin Pancakes from Scratch
My kids love fun breakfasts for holidays, and I love easy breakfast ideas.
These homemade pumpkin pancakes are so quick and easy and festive — they make our whole family happy!
But don’t think these are a kids-only recipe. The pumpkin spice pancakes are perfect for anyone who loves pumpkin, any age.
(And who needs anti-pumpkin negativity in their life? Don’t invite those people to breakfast this time 😉
Finish your warm hearty breakfast with these kid friendly sugar-free pumpkin steamers — like a pumpkin spice latte, without the coffee!
What’s in Pumpkin Pancakes?
The star of our pumpkin pancakes is, of course, the pumpkin puree — NOT pumpkin pie filling.
Grab a can of pureed pumpkin at the store or make your own from a sweet pie pumpkin. These pancakes feature our favorite fall flavors of cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice (make your own here), and brown sugar.
Prefer fresh pumpkin? Try these fresh pumpkin pancakes.
Can’t have pancakes without flour, baking soda and salt, of course — plus buttermilk and eggs to keep these pumpkin pancakes light and fluffy!
Get more of our favorite pumpkin recipes here.
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pancakes
Homemade pancakes aren’t quite as fast as “just add water” but they’re not time-consuming or difficult either — about 10 minutes to make, and 5 minutes to cook.
Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, and spices).
Combine the wet ingredients (pumpkin puree, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla).
Add the wet to the dry and mix until just moistened.
Cook on a preheated griddle, flipping halfway through cooking like traditional pancakes.
Tip: The thick pancake batter scoops really nicely with an ice cream scoop.
Enjoy! Top with whipped cinnamon butter (recipe below), maple syrup, pecans, whipped cream — whatever toppings you love!
- pumpkin fritters
- pumpkin custard with maple pecan crunch
- chocolate pumpkin seed brittle
- easy pumpkin dump cake
- pumpkin dip for apples or pretzels
From Scratch Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice ** see notes
- 1 cup buttermilk or milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
- Cinnamon whipped butter ** see notes
- Maple Syrup
- Whip cream
- Pecans or Walnuts
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt and spices
- In a small bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla extract
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk just until moistened
- Spray griddle with cooking spray
- Heat griddle to medium heat, 350 degrees F
- Scoop batter onto hot griddle and cook until edges are brown, about 4-5 minutes, flip and continue cooking on other side until brown
- Serve immediately with butter and toppings of your choice
Be sure to pin this to save it for later!