Okay so this budget stair remodel is seemingly the project that never ended… It was one of the first things we demo-ed and one of the last things we wrapped up.  The ultimate stair makeover!  You can see how it all went down at that link. 

We drew it up in 3d and rendered the image. You could see how much bigger the space was. 

So this monster of a project all started while my husband was away at work… The stair carpet was crappy to say the least, and I really wanted my staircase to be amazing. 

The stair runners were just structural 2 x 12’s in case you were wondering.  and they were covered with plaster splatters from our much hated wall texture.  But we didn’t clean it off right away because of the mess it would have caused.

So, after we had opened up the space by moving the soon to be (ha, ha… two years later) new newel posts back 2 feet. We went about expanding the bottom two stairs to wrap around the soon to be newel posts. 

When he installed the new bottom two stairs, he also routed the front edges of the 2×12 on the top and bottom, so that the nose of the stair tread had a more pleasing and looked more finished and less like a 2×12!

We were replacing the stair treads was a big gap on the both sides of the tread (up against the wall). We didn’t want to cover the gap with strange moldings, because inevitably that would look a little hokey in my opinion.

Swipe Up

Full Blog Post