1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
3) In a separate mixing bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, salt, and red food coloring. Stir well.
4) Mix egg into butter sugar mixture.
5) Pour bowl of liquid ingredients over bowl of dry ingredients. Mix until all dry ingredients are wet. Add chocolate chips if desired, gently fold into cookie dough.
6) Pour red sugar into a shallow bowl. Form dough into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in red sugar until completely covered. Place ball on lined baking sheet. Press the flat of your thumb into the center of each ball to forms an indentation to hold filling. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely before filling. If indent rises while cooking, gently press it back down while still warm.
7) Using a stand or hand mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Scoop filling into a sandwich bag and cut the tip off one corner. Pipe the filling into the center of the cooled cookies. Serve immediately or store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.