Knock Your Socks Off!; EASY Homemade Christmas Stockings

I know I am cutting it a little close, I mean Santa is coming in a few short days….  But now that we have Etta, I decided I wanted new stockings.  Growing up my mom made us some really fun crocheted granny square stockings, that just spoke Christmas.  So, I just really wanted yarn stockings.  BUT, I didn’t have time to crochet them, story of our lives I’m sure!   The other day, while I was at my favorite local thrift store shopping for tacky Christmas sweaters…(post to come)  I picked up a few other sweaters as well to make this:
It was SEW easy!  If you can sew along a line on a sewing machine you can make this.
1st Pick up a few sweaters at the Thrift store (or your closet!)
2nd.  Launder them and remove any lint etc.
3rd To begin, turn sweater inside out.
4th Smooth out the sweater so that the bottom edges are lined up together (this is most important because the bottom of the sweater will become the top of your sock)
5th Now trace a stocking shape onto the sweater with the opening of the sock aligning with the bottom of the sweater.
6th after tracing pin the sweaters front and back side together along the drawn sock.
7th Sew around with the sock shape ***With light tension and the longest straight stitch. (this way the fabric will not pull and pucker)
8th Remove pins and cut out sock with about a 1/2 in seam allowance.
9th Sew around the sock again, and then zigzag just outside of your straight line to make sure it is secure
10th Flip right side out, at this point the sock is done.
You will need a small loop to hang them, you can use what you like to create a loop, and attach it to the top back of the sock.  Honestly I haven’t done this yet, so I just used a binder clip, don’t tell Santa!
One little trend in the Christmas sock area that I have noticedthis year especially, is just hanging a letter on the sock, instead of having their name on there.  And I tried it too:
1st print out the first letter of all the names in your family.
(we have Mom, Dad, Etta, and a small Kitty and Buddy!)
Print them out backward ( I just flipped the image horizontally in Photoshop)
2nd Glue them to a sheet of chipboard ( I used an old gift box, the ones you always have kick around)
glue to the front of the chipboard a paper that you like, (this is what will show)

3rd I beefed up my letters with a sharpie, til I thought it looked decent.  (not necessary, I just wanted to)
4th Cut out the letter, and hang with the sock!

The final result:
Unfortunately we don’t have a fireplace, so I hung them on the banister!

Comments

1. Angel says

>I haven't been following your blog very long, but I LOVE it. I'm sure you've got TONS of readers that use Google Reader and it's so much easier to just view over there and never actually visit a site to make a comment. We're probably all just a little lazy. :)

I was going to comment anyway, since this project is SO genius! I've wanted to knit our own Christmas stockings but knew it would just take me forever to make all 5 of them. But this I can do! I have so many gorgeous sweaters that are out-dated but can't bare to part with. This would be a great way to keep them around without the storage issues.

I love all your stuff, but this one is my fave so far!

2. Bobbi says

>Haha! I was planning on commenting before I read your last little bit too! These socks are genius, thanks for sharing–I knew I wouldn't get to making stockings this year–the biggest thing is do I make them match or not? Especially when you don't know when your family will be done. So I love the idea of the all being different, but the same. I also love the letter idea. . . I actually want our names on them but the letter is so much better because then you can change stockings around and just move the letter. Thanks Cassity!!

3. kmetzsch007 says

>I too was going to comment before your "shameless" request. This idea is great and I've been waiting for this inspiration because every year we have the same old boring socks and I can never find the exact same shade of red so I don't even put them up we just lay them out on the couch Christmas Eve so having some fun ones like you've made I might just make more of an effort to put them up. Five socks is a lot though so I'll have to really think hard about where I'll put them before I make them. This is definitely an idea I'll try to get to before next Christmas. And don't ever wonder if I'm following your blog, you're usually my first stop on my blog stalking daily and I love that at least you are keeping yours up-to-date. Melissa's is still the same literally from a year ago, so sad. I absolutely love everything and the video of Etta is priceless. I was just telling Greg what a wonderful thing the internet/computer is. We'd never get to see our cute little neice if it wasn't for this remarkable tool and for your time and effort, so thanks!! Have a fabulous Christmas and enjoy that baby girl extra for us!
    Love,
    Shirley and family

4. Becky says

>I just started following your blog but I will admit I am a reader addict. I just read them there and never click through to comment.

With that said (and your plug)….I love this stocking idea. I had just decided I need to do some sort of personal stockings next year. I am bookmarking this and hope to remember to make them next year.

5. A Tale of Two Stevens says

>I just picked up some nasty looking stockings at the store last night and may return them tonight after reading this! I think I could possibly do this! Thanks for the great ideas!!!!!

6. autumn says

>i love the fact that you are recycling! and the texture of a cable knit sweater just can't be beat. right now, i am ashamed to say that we are using *gasp* dollar store stockings. (i know, i know!) but i am now totally inspired to make some. not for this year…i'm not that delusional to think that i can whip up stockings 3 days before christmas. next year….

7. Get Your Martha On says

>I read your posts! I do! I'm a lazy commenter, though. You have a very special knack for projects … they all turn out just right!

8. LDH says

>Oh, I love your blog and I love this project. It is a delight to read each post. It's a busy time for everyone and though we really want to comment sometimes just sitting at the computer uninterrupted for a few minutes is rare. Looking forward to a new year full of your wonderful ideas!
    Kindly, ldh

9. Sara @ Russet Street Reno says

>I wish I had a sewing machine, because these are so cute. Ugh. Also, I usually don't comment because I would keep saying the same thing over and over…"This is amazing! I wish I could do it!" haha

Great job with all the crafty goodness throughout the month of December, I don't know how you do it all!

10. rebecca @ older and wisor says

>Nobody will even NOTICE the binder clips – the stockings are too delicious! At least it's not duct tape (we still tease my mom for doing that one year….so classy).

11. Dalton Family says

>I thought I could totally do this until you said If you can sew along a line on a sewing machine you can make this. So sad I can't do it! Good thing my hubby can! It was so good to see you the other night!

12. Molly says

>Honestly, those look amazing. Last year I made homemade stockings from cotton fabric…let me just say disaster. I bet the knit makes the, er, flexibility to hold oodles of Santas toys way easier!! Good job! Thanks for the tutorial!

13. Jessica says

>WoW these are great!! I'm loving all the do it yourself stocking ideas. I thought my writing our names in cute shiny glitter was AWESOME "DIY" stuff but clearly I was wrong! Ha!

14. Deena says

>Don't you dare stop, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your blog. I can't wait to hit my local thrift store for some sweaters, although I won't have them for this year-boo.

15. Brandi says

>These stockings are lovely! What a brilliant idea! I'll have to see if I have any old sweaters about…

Have a beautiful, beautiful holiday.

16. Anonymous says

>I love your blog! Just found it and put it in my favorites! Your sweater stocking is a wonderful idea! Keep up the creativity, we are watching! candy

17. Wonder Mom says

>I love this idea- I am already trying to plan out gifts for next year's Christmas, and this one made smaller and turned into an ornament just might make the cut!

Thanks for the great ideas!

18. Junk Exchange says

>cute cute cute!! i have made big mitten shaped throw pillows out of old sweaters before, but i like this idea also!

Troy

19. JessieMomma says

>Love this! Found via Ucreate. I've always wanted to have some matchy-matchy knitted stockings…. even tried crocheting them. HA! This is so much nicer for my sanity… time to start trolling thrift stores!!!

20. Mandy Coffey says

>i adore this! so simple and cute! i'll be featuring it on my blog smallfineprint.blogspot.com come 11/28/10

21. inday_adin says

>Thanks for sharing the tute and this idea. I still have bunch of sweaters left that I used from a previous project. good thing I saved them. I knew I can use them for other projects. yaye! I am going to make these. :)

Adin B

22. Ellen says

I’m saving this adorable idea for when I’m a grandma one day (crossing fingers as my grandma clock is starting to tick).

Thanks and Merry Christmas!