I mentioned in this post that I had a bassinet that my sister gave me a few years ago. I finally got a round to finishing up the skirt/cover last Saturday, so now- I blog. I really didn’t follow any steps or pattern. Which makes it hard to explain how it was done, but I’ll try to give a few hints for anyone that wants to try.
I used fabric that I had just kickin’ around in my sewing closet. Which makes it seem a little random, but it was free. I carefully removed the plastic interior cover then I folded it around and pinned it flat, on each side. This created a pattern for the lining. Which I cut it out using the plastic for a pattern. For the skirt, I basically did whatever else I pleased. I put kick pleats of cream muslin in the corners for detail. And gathered the first skirt onto the crib lining. Then I gathered a really long strip of fabric for the ruffle and sewed that in place. After that, I feel like I sorta cheated, because I used a iron on hem binding, but it was so nice not to have to sew around the 15 plus yards of gathered fabric at the bottom of the skirt.
I used some stitch-witchery to attach the green ribbon around the ruffle. The polka-dot ribbon and little green bows are removable and attached to the bassinet with button holes. I actually sewed four buttons to the bassinet to hold everything in place. I cut the blue ribbon, and made button holes at the end of each length, to attach on pretty tightly in order to hold the skirt in place. The green bows on the corners are just to beautify it a bit.
Here is the Before:
Here in the lining all made and in place.
You can see the pleat on the corner, with the skirt attached before any ribbon.
And the after: