If you are looking for a fun recipe for baking with kids this summer, making homemade ice cream sandwiches is sure to be a new family favorite. Using the summer time favorite, fresh strawberries, will make these a sure hit!
Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches
Strawberry Ice Cream
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and washed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- In a 4 quart glass measuring cup, add berries, sugar, vanilla and lemon extracts, and salt. Smash with a potato masher; stir in cream and milk; set aside.
- Assemble ice cream maker. Turn ice cream maker on and pour ice cream mixture into *frozen container. Let mix until ice cream thickens, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer ice cream into an air tight container; freeze for several hours, or for a firmer ice cream, freeze overnight.
- Scoop ice cream, place between 2 cookies (see additional recipe) and gently press. Or, for a prefect ice cream round, line a 9×13-inch pan with foil then evenly spread ice cream with a rubber spatula; cover and freeze overnight. Then use a cookie cutter to cut desired diameter of ice cream rounds and place between 2 cookies.
[i]*Follow manufactures directions for freezing container, 24 hours or longer is ideal.[/i][br]Yields about 1 1/2 quart.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder (Dutch processed)
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (1¼ sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup unsulphured original molasses
- ¼ sugar to dip glass bottom
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 light-colored heavy baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, cardamom, and salt, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and chocolate extracts; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Beat in egg. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients in three batches, beating after each addition until combined.
- Roll 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheets.
- Using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, lightly press each cookie flat.
- Bake one sheet pan at a time on center rack until done, about 8-10 minutes.
- Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.