Fly the Coop

This blog has been a long time in coming.

I have just been putting it off. We’ve actually been done with the coop itself for about 3 or 4 weeks, oops. I don’t want to forget to record some things, so here are some pics of building the coop, the chicks as they’ve been growing up and our 2 new lovely ladies (Libby and Sun)

We have the run in the back, it still needs to be painted, but for now, with this heat, there is no way on earth I am painting! We have the big girls in the run to keep them away from the babies until everyone is friendly. (We’ve collected our first dozen of eggs this week! What a thrill!)

So here are the pics:
This was our baby chicks first outing! Aren’t they adorable! I can’t believe how much they changed and grown.

Here they are again a few weeks later getting all their feathers, and loosing their fluff, which you can see in patches mostly on their heads.
Here is some of the stages of completion for the coop
(if you’ll remember the barn raising post, that left off at the walls)
Justin installing the roof.

I guess I forgot to photograph the siding install. I am really happy because we were able to “reduce, reuse and recycle” for about everything on this project. Justin collected all the 2 x 4 from people who were spring cleaning. So that was free. We only had to buy the flooring and roofing material and 2 sheets of siding. We actually used some siding from our neighbor too.

Of course when I actually helped, paint and caulk it all we didn’t get photos either.

Here is an image of the front door. Santiago our neighbor was ripping out an old hot tub surround and gave us the old deck and a bunch of randoms, wood misc. This door was one of the things he gave us. I had Justin add the “X” and we moved the hinges to the side, but it is so adorable now. I would like to get an old piece of weathered wood and paint “EGGS 5 cents” (I can’t find the cents symbol on my keyboard….) Then hang the sign in the upper portion of the door!

Again we talked to our neighbor Santiago, who has all the best connections. He introduced us to a contractor friend of his and he got us a deal on all our roofing needs- shingles, felt, nails and fascia drip stuff all for only $30.00. A square of roofing at home-dumpot runs around $25.00 (he gave us 2 squares, plus everything else! Score!)

We wanted to have a vent on the upper tower to keep airflow without any water problems. We checked out our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore to see what they might have we could use. First we saw some vent covers but finally found some prefect shutters for $8.00. I painted them and Justin cut them down and installed them. I think they really add to the quaintness of the structure.

Here is the finished coop. Sorry about the colors, Justin had to work until late in the nights to get anything done, so I usually got pictures around dusk.

On the window side Justin made some adorable shutters, out of scrap woods. Here they are shut:

And opened:
There are interior shutters to keep the chicks in, but get some good breezes during the day.

And finally here it is with the chicken run. I am planning on painting the fencing white. This fencing was also from Santiago. We need to invite him over to dinner!! (the old back fence, I am planning on staining a dark charcoal grey). Justin wants me to paint the siding a color, which will probably be a lighter grayish color, or maybe I’ll get creative and go brighter!

Finally here are the babies today:
And here are the new gals:

Comments

1. Mother of 4, Caregiver of 8 says

>I have weathered wood under the barn. I don't know whats down there but your welcome to come look. Your coop looks great. Ya'll did an amazing job!

2. Lew says

>I really can't get over how talented y'all are!!!! Seriously, it looks incredible! I've been waiting to see the final product and was so excited to see your post. Great job!!

3. InkMom says

>Your chickens have a nicer house than I do.

And how strange — I can't find the "cent" symbol on my keyboard, either. When did that disappear?!?!?

4. Drake, Rachel and Olivia says

>It looks great!!! SO cute! You guys are amazing. I have said it before…you all should have your own show on HGTV! BTW I updated my blog and it showed up a day later on yours…wierd!

5. Shawn and Julie Yates says

>What a fabulos chicken coop Cass! You're SO dang cute pregnant, I just love it. I actually talked to Emily Durkovich today… What a fun baby shower you had!!!! She had actually given me her number back in April so I could add my little tidbit of advice to your book, but unfortunately I I had fallen off the face of the blogging earth so I didn't get it until today. Anywhoo, Will you give me a call when you have a few minutes to chat? 801.657.2288 Thanks, Love ya!!
    ~Julie :)

6. Melissa says

>Cassity,

First of all, your chicken coop is AMAZING!!! I totally agree with the above comment, you and Justin should have your own show on HGTV!!! Wow, I am so impressed!!

Secondly, thanks for the great advice. I will definitely be asking Cory for a blessing!!!

7. The Arrrrrgalls says

>Isn't it fun to have chickens. Those girls really work hard, and we just love ours. Who'd knew that I would go such a love for chickens and bees these past two years!! Such a labor of love! Great job on the "chick" house , I love it!

8. Carrie says

>I am packing my bags to come live with the chickens! Get some of your ice cream sandwich's ready! By the way didn't you make the home made laundry detergent? If so how do you like it? I am very tempted to try it but with Jake's sensitive skin I want to make sure it will be okay.

9. The Wright Fam says

>As always, I am so impressed!! Your chicken coop is adorable, it looks like something out of a country living couture (sp?) magazine!! How fun that you have your own chickens and eggs!! How are you feeling? You are getting closer…so exciting!

10. Emmy says

>I love it! I've been thinking about chickens myself for next year. I'm seriously impressed with your coop. You must be a designer ;).

11. ivonne says

>Do share the plans for that awesome coop you built? we've love to have chickens but coops are so expensive. please help. thanks

Ivonne

Awesome chicken coop. My hubby and I are getting chickens this spring. I wish we could build a coop like yours but we will have to deal with pre-fab. Looks great and I featured you today on Strictly Homemade today!!!

13. Carrie says

Do you have plans for this chicken coop? I love it but I’m a novice builder and would need details of supplies and tools and dimensions of the the coop. Would that be possible to get??

Thanks for sharing!!!

14. Ozarjoy says

The Cent mark is in Microsoft Word. Look under the insert tab and then click “symbols” it is on the first page bottom row. Love your Chicken house. I plan to get a few hens, your Coop gave me a lot of ideas for my own coop.

15. Nance says

stumbled across your blog today. Love the chicken coop. Love repurposing. Reusing. I will enjoy reading thru here. Thanks!

16. Cathy Denson says

Your chicken coop is lovely! I really love the fact that you’re in a neighborhood and you can still
    have chickens. I want to do this, too!

17. Khadija says

Oh my goodness! How adorable. Do you have any trouble with neighbors?? Do you live in one of those neighborhoods with rules and everything?? I love chickens and miss having them around.