You Look Good, Mirrored Dresser, Guest

how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (8)
This is one of my favorite furniture transformations to date. From Teresa at Andersen Seven, she took an old dresser and an old mirror and honestly made magic happen.    I am so doing this… on something!  Just wait and see how she made this mirrored dresser!
old mirror
how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (1)
Remember these guys- They are now very good friends {I received two old dressers from Libby- this is not the one that I used. Couldn’t find the before picture {my computer crashed last week, and I’m still trying to find everything…but the dresser looked just like this one in every-way, except the top drawers were different.}
What I did-
  • Saved the mirror- which was cut into pieces to fit the dresser- $20
  • Painted the dresser- Ralph Lauren- Regent Metallics- silver Base
  • Purchased simple handles for $15
  • Glued the mirror to the dresser using- Liquid Nails- Mirror adhesive ( in the silver and gold tube}
  • Dresser- free from Libby

Here is a step by step look:

how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (2)
how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (3)

how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (4)

Applying the glue- mirror next
And here is another one with Emma in it….just because she is so cute.
 how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (5) how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (6) how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (7) how to make a mirrored dresser from an old dresser tutorial (8)
One more piece done.
Tips-  Save all your old mirrors, you never know when, or how you will use them.  I asked my glass guy how much it would have cost me if I didn’t have my own mirror.  He said somewhere between  $80 and $150. More if you wanted the ends beveled.
So if you are doing a bathroom redo and it has a big piece of mirror in it…SAVE IT!  if you don’t want it, I will take it off your hands.  =)
I have some fun ideas for the top of the dresser….I just put a few items on it for now….so it didn’t look so bare.
I AM IN LOVE!
 I have always had a thing for mirrored buffets and side tables they are just so SNAZZY.  (Is that a cheesy word! I need to say it again … sn-a–zzy!)

I am dreaming of all the options for this, cause GUESS WHAT, our friends had a wall in their house that was covered in mirrors, and they removed them and gave them to us… SO I have yet another few projects on my very long list calling my name… but they might just cut in line, now that my imagination is going!  Thanks Teresa for letting me share this project!

Comments

1. Jessica says

>That wasnt very nice, anon. I really love it and everytime i walk by the end tables in target that are upwards of 90$ a pop (for a piece 1/3 of this size) i smile! great work! can you just drill holes through mirror to put the knobs on it? doesnt crack?

Ya know I am not sure, but I know there are drill bits for glass, I would just test it on scraps first to figure out how, and I would use tape to add some stability to the glass while screwing into it. (she might have had the mirror cutter do the drilling too, you could always ask them if they would!

2. eve says

>I just want to let you know I love your blog. We've just bought a house {our first} and I'm excited to implement some things I've found on your blog. Thank you!!!

3. ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com says

>I love how this came out. I would have never thought you could DIY one and it really looks great!!!

-heather

4. BellaLovesPink says

>That is SO clever! I have a mirror that came with a sideboard I refinished. I'm definitely hanging onto it now!!

5. L ~DIY Diva~ says

>WOW! I. Want. This. like. really!

but one question: how much ws it to get the mirror cut and do they do that at home stores?

6. * Nancy * says

>gorgeous project! hehe, I so loved the pic with Emma sitting and admiring herself in the mirror. :)

7. Brianna! says

>what a precious little pup!!
    I gave you a blog award!
    its on my blog so be sure to check it out.
    xoxo
    bB

8. Bella says

>This is really beautiful and unique! I second the mirror question: do you take it somewhere to get it cut, or did you cut it at home? If you did it at home, what did you use to cut it with?

9. Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys says

>Looks like something you'd find at Z Gallerie and pay hundreds of dollars for!!

10. Anonymous says

>Absolutely awesome. Just a question. Did you have your glass man bevel the edges. If not how are the finished off.

11. Parenting in blue jeans says

>Very za za! I love it! It's just so pretty. Not to be the constant product promoter but Perfect Glass is the way to keep it looking like that!

12. Remodelaholic says

>Hey ya'll I had the same question. She said that she had a glass company cut the mirror, and it was around $20-30 dollars, so very affordable. She said it is more if you bevel the edges, but that they can be done.

13. Teresa says

>Thanks for showcasing me on your site. I had the glass cut at a local mirror and glass store. As for the holes….it is tricky but he was able to do it…the drilled holes left a little dimple in the glass but the handles covered it.
    Thanks for all your kind comments

14. Laurie Collazzo says

Love Love Love this idea…I have tons of mirror can’t wait to try this!
    How did you apply the drawer knobs?
    Thanks,
    Laurie

You just need a mirror/ glass drill bit and very carefully drill a hole though in the proper spot for the hardware and screw in like normal! Good Luck!

Thanks for all the kind comments about the dresser here are some answers to your questions-
    1. I had the mirror cut at a glass shop in my town….a place that repairs windows and works with glass. Home depot and lowes do not cut glass.
    2. He charged me per cut….plan ahead how you want it cut….take a paper pattern with you- this will save on unwanted cuts.
    3. He also drilled the holes for me, I’m sure he has a special drill for that….the knobs are just attached through the holes with the hardware that come with the knobs, plus I added some rubber spacers . I bought the knobs at Home Depot.
    4. The glass is not beveled….that cost more…I just had him smooth the edges some.

I hope this helps to answers your questions…thanks for all the Happy comments.

Thanks Everyone for your kind comments about my mirrored dresser. Here are some answers to the questions you had.
    1. I had the glass cut at a glass and mirror shop in my small town. Most towns have one…look for shops that fix broken windows.
    2. He charged me per cut….so I was careful in how I had him cut it to keep the cost down. Using as much of the outer edges as possible. I came with a paper pattern for him to follow.
    3. He also drilled the holes for me. I attacked the knobs through the holes that he drilled using the hardware that came with the knobs and a few extra rubber spacers in the back.
    4. I did not have him bevel the mirror, that cost more….I did have him smooth the edges though. Lucky for me the dresser had side insets so the mirror was cut to fit inside the sides. On the top I just had him cut the mirror a little short so the wood of the dresser you would come in contact with first.
    Hope that helps….have a wonderful day.
    Teresa

17. Erin says

Hi, I absolutely LOVE this dresser idea, I just need to know how you got the knobs hole space in the mirror with out it cracking?!

LOVE these type of projects. I refinished a nightstand this same way. Used mirrored acrylic instead of the real thing since I didn’t have any laying around.