Farmhouse Bathroom 180 Degree Renovation

Farmhouse Bathroom Renovation
contributed by HollerDesign

This much needed renovation transformed a dark, outdated bathroom into a space more appropriate to this cute farmhouse. The design combines humble, traditional elements (a cast iron tub, white subway tile, wide plank flooring) with cleaner, more modern features (a wall mounted toilet, recessed lighting, and a vanity with clean overlay drawers.)

The most transformative element is a large salvaged window installed on the west elevation of the room, which washes the room with light. Other reclaimed items include the flooring, door and door hardware, towel rod and towel hooks. The color palette takes advantage of strong neutrals (white, black, gray and dark brown) with a modern pop of sunny yellow as an accent. The result is a cozy yet modern take on the traditional farmhouse bathroom.”

I also included a few photos not on the website of some storage features…medicine cabinet, makeup drawer and the hair dryer/flat iron storage. The power outlet is located inside the vanity, so when I am running out the door in the
morning I can just stuff the flat iron back in the cabinet and shut the door. I’d leave everything out otherwise!

Comments

1. Karey says

>AMAZING! That is quite the transformation! You would never know that it is the very same room! Fantastic job!

2. Andi says

>Well damn! My socks are knocked off!

Then I'm left pondering the practicality of a square toilet seat. :P

3. IAMSNOWFLAKE says

>Great transformation! Love the saws decorating the wall (handy should you ever get locked in the bathroom). Congratulations!

4. v8grrl says

>OK…. I love these…BUT, you know what I would like to see? how much it cost and what your re-salvaged to save $$$.

I love the little toothbrush holder within the door, my kids would have toothpaste dripping from them into the cabinet onto the counter for sure.

what does everyone else think? cost price?

5. SusieE says

>I love the wood top vanity with the undermount sink! How difficult was that to manufactor, install, and how do you maintain it? How does the cost compare to natural stone vanity tops?

6. That One Girl says

>Wow!! Beautiful!!!
    I do tend to agree with v8grrl tho… nobody ever really says how much they paid for all of the transformations…

7. Melissa says

>Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all the compliments and feedback. To answer a few questions:

1. The remodel cost about 5K. We did all the labor ourselves, as well as refinishing all the salvaged items. We also milled the flooring, designed and fabricated the medicine cabinet and vanity (and toilet seat.) It was a complete gut renovation due to water and termite damage, so much of the cost was in new floor joists and wall studs. And we splurged on the toilet (about $700.)

2. The vanity, flooring, and toilet seat are Ash, which is a wood species that naturally works well in high moisture environments. The flooring has a natural ebonizing solution (vinegar + steel wool) with a flooring grade satin poly finish. The vanity and toilet seat have the natural ebony solution, topped with a black pigment. The vanity has poly on top of that, and then a waxed finish on top of that. The wax helps the water bead up, and we wipe the surface clean after we splash. The wax will need reapplied every so often. I probably wouldn't do this finish in a children's bathroom, but so far it is working out fine for us. The sink was just a clearance item from an online distributor, nothing fancy.

3. We actually didn't decide to use salvaged items for the cost savings. In my experience, any money you save on a salvaged item will go right back into labor for refinishing/repairing/maintenance on the item. But we wanted to keep within the existing style of the house, and we like the idea of keeping old windows/doors/tubs/etc. out of the landfill, so it made sense for us.

Happy to answer any other questions. Thanks again for the feedback!

8. chavafor4 says

>I like this alot. The subway tile with black grout looks good. Also the black door with the black window molding. Thanks for sharing.

9. Barbara says

>This bathroom is stunning! I was just going to tell my husband this is what I wanted for ours but had to bite my tongue since he already about 80% into it!

10. Kelsey says

>I don't know… I was diggin' the sea shell sink… just kidding. LOVE this transformation! You guys are super talented! And talk about vision!

11. Jacki-Hearthside Happenings says

>WOW! What a great new look! Amazing. And doing the work yourselves makes you appreciate it so much more.

12. Stephanie says

>Now that was one crazy before bathroom! Love what you did with it, black, yellow and white. My favorite though are the black saws on the wall, so genius and cool looking.

13. Marc says

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is a remodeled bath! I pinned it because it has some elements I will consider for my bath remodel I am planning. The wall mounted toilet? Genius for cleaning! I like the package, though I am not a fan of shower curtains. I get the look and feel though! Great job.

14. Lindsey says

I was wondering if the window sill/frame behind the shower gets wet when you shower. I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom with a window in the shower, and so far what we have tried isn’t working, as soon as it gets wet, the paint peels off the woodwork. I’m thinking of trying outdoor porch/floor paint next, but would love to hear what worked for you!