I knew going into it that I wasn’t going to be able to strip the dresser down to bare wood like the wisteria dresser for the very simply reason that the sides weren’t real wood. So I had to compromise. I ended up doing multiple layers of paints in different colors in an attempt to emulate wood grain.
I started by painting the entire dresser with a basic sort of light tan color that somewhat matched the color of bare wood. I then thinly and evenly washed over a very dark brown color. After that was dry I finished by washing a lighter gray color over top of the brown color. I’m pretty pleased with the result, I hope you all will be too!
Before I show you the dresser I think I better show you the before picture.
Honestly, the only reason it took so long was because of my tendency to get bored with a project and just let it sit around unfinished.
Although the hardware isn’t particularly “wisteria-ish” I kept it because I didn’t have the money to spend on new ones and I thought they looked fairly wonderful anyways. Of course, I did freshen them up a bit by sanding them down so you can see the shiny metal on parts, which I think helps tremendously.
I also did away with the double handles on each drawer and just put a single one in the center.
I also wanted to thank you all for your incredibly kind comments! I was surprised at how many of you said you were inspired by my work. For me, inspiring people is the ultimate compliment and truly humbling, so thanks! I hope some of you will send me the links to any projects I may have inspired, because I certainly love to see them!
Cassity Kmetzsch started Remodelaholic after graduating from Utah State University with a degree in Interior Design. Remodelaholic is the place to share her love for knocking out walls, and building everything back up again to not only add function but beauty to her home. Together with her husband Justin, they have remodeled 6 homes and are working on a seventh. She is a mother of four amazing girls. Making a house a home is her favorite hobby.