Make Your Own Blue Glass Jars Tutorial

No, I’m not having crazy preggo cravings (cuz I’m not preggo)…and no, I haven’t lost my mind either!  I just happened to make some candles out of some saved up jars that used to be in the fridge…holding food.

Honestly, most of these jars would typically wind up in the recycling…but I finally got smart.  You see, there have been times when I’ve said to myself, “self, that’s a cute project that involves a glass jar!” But then I realize that I don’t have any glass jars.
On one occassion (cough, cough, hint, bridal shower) I even bought some mason jars because I didn’t have any on hand.  Boy was that silly!  After seeing the stash I’d collected in just a few weeks, I’m hoping that I’ve learned to go green and put those containers to new use, through one craft or another.
This project was something that I’ve been dye-ing to try!  LOL!  I crack myself up!
I’d heard it was possible to dye glass different colors using glue and food coloring, but I wanted to give it a test run.
Honestly, the most difficult part of this project was getting the stinkin’ labels off of the jars.  I couldn’t find my trusty Goo Gone, but I found soaking the jars in warm water to be helpful.
Once they were soaked, I peeled off what I could, and scrubbed with soap and water to remove the rest of the sticky gunk from the jars.
Then I went all out and spent a whopping $.50 on some school glue.
To get some color, I used a few drops of blue food coloring and a hint of green food coloring.  This created an aqua color, and in case you haven’t noticed, I happen to be in love with aqua!
After one coat, the glass had a nice soft tint, but I wanted to go for something with a bit more pop.
The second coat was just what I was looking for.  I loved the color and the level of transparency!  These photos were taken when the glue was still wet…
…and these were taken once the glue had dried….
One word…L.O.V.E!
This blue glass project was so easy, so cheap, and the results are so fun!  I can think of so many fun things to do with this, but for this photo shoot, I just threw some candles in.
I tried to get some shots from different times of the day so that you could see the color in different lighting.  I loved how the color appeared soft in strong light, but more vibrant in darker light.  They looked pretty natural to me, but what do you think?
Granted, there were a few spots where I didn’t catch the air-bubbles or the drips, but I never sweat the small stuff when I try a project out for the first time.
I learned that I need to wait a bit longer in between coats so that the glue can dry completely first, but you might remember from this project that waiting patiently has never been one of my strong suits.
Grand total on this project…$.50, and a few hours.  A great project for some weekend craftiness on a tight budget!
So here’s what I learned:
  1. Keep food jars! It’s green and fun! This is just one of many crafts you can do with them.
  2. Patience is a virtue.  Wait longer in between coats.
  3. Don’t sweat the small stuff.  Projects don’t have to be perfect all of the time.  In fact, in many cases, imperfection creates an aged or weathered look.
  4. It is possible to craft for less than $1.00.  You don’t have to spend a lot of money.  Use what you have around the house.
  5. This idea could be used to make cute gifts.  Fill the jars with bath salts, or even snacks.  The glue is on the outside of the jar, so it won’t contaminate any food items!
So tell me, what would you do with these jars?  What color would you paint them?  I think I might try some red and orange ones next considering fall is just around the corner.  I’m so glad I tried this!
This project was contributed by one of our fabulous readers! We love to share your projects with this great blogging community. So, if you have projects from kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, overhauled and repurposed furniture, spray paint updates you name it please send it in! Thanks for reading Remodelaholic!

Other fun DIY projects HERE:

Comments

Hey Gayle,

The glue is on the outside of the jar, and I didn’t have to wipe any of the glue off. I just used a 1″ wide paint brush to coat the glue evenly across the outside, and I definitely avoided rubbing the glue while it was wet. Another thing that I found in this project was that it looked better if I went around the jar with the brush, rather than up and down it. In other words, horizontal, not vertical strokes. Hope that helps!

xo, Kelli

1. Nicole says

WOW! They look amazing. And to think I almost bought antique blue Mason jars in the past 2 weeks. I am going to try this, for sure! Great idea.

2. Kim H. says

I saw someone posted on how to do this with mod podge the other day.. they did it on the inside of the glass and let it just swirl around in there.. once it was baked, you couldn’t see the brush strokes… just a thought. Yours are beautiful though :)

3. Rachel W. says

These are lovely. Have you seen the colored Ball mason jars in a particular Etsy shop of two women? The colors are beautiful…and so vibrant – I’d LOVE to figure out how they got them that way.

4. Michele says

Wow!! I LOVE these! I am going to make some for Christmas gifts at work and fill them with Friendship Tea mix!! Just need to print a nice label for them with the tea directions, top it off with a pretty ribbon, and away I go!!

5. Beverly Roberson says

I adore this!! I too have been looking mason jars, I never thought of looking right in my pantry! Very well done!

6. Ingrid says

I was like WOW!!!!!!!!!at the final results – Amazing!!!!!!!! I am in a good mood now!!!!
    I love candles and their spiritual touch!

7. Amber says

I was reading this and i colect alot of old jars. most are not tinted and i bought more for the unique shapes. i was thinking i am always looking to dress up my table. y not either build a tray or buy a old beat up one from a thrift store. tint my glasses blue and y not splash just a little bit of purple in there (my favorite color). i would then arrange the jars randomly in the try and fill the outside of the trays with stuff to represent the sessons. spring: flowers or maybe a colorful scarf draped between the jars, summer seashelld. I lives near the beaches of North Carolina and know I am in the beautiful Pennsylvanian pocono moutians (still so much beauty but not the same beauty as the beaches i miss daily) fall acorns amd pinecones. Winter fake snow and peppermint candys. also fall maybe fill a jar or two with candy corn. both holidays a little snak on the table for the hoilday dinner guest. hope you enjoy my ideas cant wait to start putting it together. Thanks for the idea.

8. Cheryl says

Love these jars, so pretty, and I’m crazy about aqua too! Here’s an easy way to get the sticky stuff and labels off your jars…soak them for a few minutes in a vinegar bath (undiluted), or you can just spray the labels with vinegar and let them sit a few minutes…the glue comes right off, and I sometimes use a single-edge razor blade to speed up the process. (be careful!) …,BTW, you can uses this same vinegar spray to use on old wallpaper to remove it fast and easy!

9. Sarah says

These would be great for making luminarias (sp?) for Christmas, or as a DIY decoration for weddings or parties, maybe at Halloween.

Peanut butter will remove glue, and will “stick” in the place where it is working (it will also take out gum stuck in hair, if you’re patient).

I have also seen jars filled with tinted water, which may have some advantages (different effect in the light, but you can change the colour, and if you tire of the effect and want your Mason jar back, all you need to do is dump the water and wash it out).

Thanks for this tutorial! I found these beautiful blue glass lamps online but they were out of stock so now I’m going to purchase the clear glass version (which are cheaper!) and paint them blue!!!!

11. sparkles pederson says

such a cute idea! thanks for clarifying that you paint the outside….I assumed the glue was on the inside!
    please keep crafting and sharing

12. Kathy says

Hi: GooGone is sold at WalMart and when you put a bit on a label off it comes. Your labels will come off faster with googone than vinegar but googone leaves an oily residue which washes off easily with soap and water, vinegar you just rinse off. Your jars are beautiful. You are a very smart lady. Have a blessed day.

13. belle says

Hi, I’m peruse other DIY recipes for tinted glasses and they all involved baking the glass. Do you need to do that in your recipe?

14. Andrea says

Great tutorial – love the idea for a kids craft on Mothers Day! P.S. Instead of using Goo Gone – if you rub peanut butter on a sticky surface it will take the residue off, then just wash with soap and water! Much cheaper.

15. sonny says

wow wow.. this is beyond terrific.. thank you sooooooooooooo much.. I found this post doing a google search.. Your jars are beautiful and you saved me 100′s of dollars with it.. I have glass lamps and large jars that I can now make just like the ones I was going to have to spend a fortune for..

Many Thanks from:
    155 Dream Lane
    Sonny Gianetti

16. Barbara says

Ok…I got hooked on doing this too. My first jar experiment – pickle jar. Which way did you paint the color on…up and down or around? It looks like you did around from the photos of the drying ones.

I looked up so many different ways to do this it’s confusing. I read ingredients like yours. I read others that involve basically a glass “paint” enamel, which is what I got to try.

I’ve read that if you don’t BAKE them, the color will peel off and that you can’t wash them. Your’s weren’t baked but it dont appear that that peeling is a problem. Can you put them in the dishwasher?

Since I finished mine a bit ago this morning…mine dried some and then it is sitting in a 350 degree oven to “set”.

I’m waiting to see what happens next before I do on to others! :)

Thanks!