Color Washing the Barn Door

One of my favorite projects to date has been our Dutch barn door.   Anyone who sees it loves it (and I am not just saying that cuz I love it)!   A Dutch door is just so whimsical, then add the barn door styling and it is just awesome!  But one thing has bothered me.  After I originally stained it, I was pleased but not perfectly happy with the color.  (which is in case you are wondering-  Minwax Waterbased Wood Stain, tinted in  Charcoal Grey)

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door (1)

I was going for a look of naturally weathered wood but ours was just too blue for my taste.  So when I decided to update the wall where the dutch door is located for the clock project.   It was the perfect time to face re-coloring the door.

In our Texas house,  I painted the doors black and I LOVED it – with a passion!  So I knew the moment I moved into this house that the doors would be painted at least some color.  I finally settled on something  like a charcoal grey- dark but not black. (hence when I picked out the charcoal grey color above)

I picked up a gallon of  #7069 Iron Ore from Sherwin William, Emerald line in Satin.  (last time my doors were semi gloss.  I didn’t’ love that much sheen)  Since I am painting all the doors this color, I wanted the barn door to be the same tones, but I also still wanted to be able to see the wood grain.

Okay, but a paint is not a stain, right?  Right.  HOWEVER, my sister taught me while doing a craft like 8 years ago (thanks Noelle!)that you can wash something with paint.  That way you still see the wood grain, but you get the color of the paint.   This may not be news to you, but it works really well if you’ve never tried it.  So if it is news to you I will show you how I did it on our door.

Color Washing Paint Technique

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door #paint #barn_door

1.  Mix or shake your paint.

2.  Take a wet washcloth (not dripping but not TOO wrung out) and dip it into a tiny bit of paint.  (I used the lid of my can of paint for this, but you can use a plate or paint tray, you need very little paint) the goal is to not have that much paint on the rag.

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door (3) color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door (6)

3. With a dry paint brush, apply a small amount of paint to a board.  Be sure to work in very small sections or one continuous board that you can wipe down immediately, so it doesn’t dry out before you can work on each area.   See below  how the dry brush doesn’t coat the whole piece just leaves a quick layer of color on the board (sorry about the blurriness of the shot!)

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door (11)

4. Now take your wet wash cloth and wipe the paint in the direction of the grain, to a more uniform finish.

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door (9)

5.  Continue working in small sections until you are done.  Remember you can always darken a piece but it is hard to take color off as easily, especially once it is dry.  So keep your layers of paint on the light side!

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door (12)

In the picture above the color washed areas don’t look too striking, but in the picture below  you can see it made a HUGE difference in the overall color of the door.  No more blue!  Hip hip hooray!

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door (13)

To finish up the wall, I painted the other door two “solid” coats of the Iron Ore color.  They look great together!  A match made in heaven!

50 (12)

50 (14)

Wanna see the final updated door?  I thought so!

color washing paint technique, wood grain still shows, barn door remodelaholic(15)

What do you think of this technique?  Have you tried it?  Tell me what you think!  If you like this post, please consider pinning it, I’d be super thankful!

Comments

Elisabeth! THANK YOU for the compliment and THANKS for the comment! I truly do love to hear what you guys think! It makes my day! Have a great weekend!

Cassity

1. Chrissy says

I love your door!!! The washed out deep brown color is exactly what I want to do to the wooden dresser in my room. I’m wondering I I could do this technique without staining at all and how long it would take to dry?

Chrissy, if it were me I would try a inconspicuous spot on the back or bottom. I would give it atleast 2-4 hours for drying. It all depends on the where you live though. Just give it a try.

Chrissy, if it were me I would try a inconspicuous spot on the back or bottom. I would give it at least 2-4 hours for drying. It all depends on the where you live though. Just give it a try.

2. Mark says

We really love what you’ve done and want to do it with our kitchen cabinets. What would you recommend putting on top as a finish to protect it? Thanks!

I didn’t put anything, since it is paint it seems fine, and I don’t want it to yellow. You could see if a wax would work? I am not sure how it would react to the paint wash though, so you might want to test a spot or two.

3. brianna says

We are building our first house and I love the idea of a yellow front door. We bought a fiber glass door with wood grain. Could this technique work?

4. Karen says

Thinking of trying this on kitchen cabinets…they are stained and polyurethaned, and really date the kitchen.
    What process would you recommend?
    Karen

This just saved me from a disaster. My stained bath vanity didn’t hold the stain where the wood filler was. I followed this technique with heavily diluted paint. Worked like a charm.

6. Debra says

I’d like to try this on my bathroom cabinets, now a 90s golden oak color. I’d like a nice graphite color. I want the wood finish since they are nice cabinets so thought I’d try this. One question: do I need to sand or can I just wipe with TSP first?

Debra, I would suggest going with a stain, and finish combo in one like Minwax polyshades stains and poly in one. Because, if your wood has a polyurethane on it, I think this finish would scrap right off and it would be a sad thing to do that much work for it not to last.

7. Brittany says

This looks so good! Do you just wipe of the paint immediately after applying? Or do you let it set for a few seconds?

Wipe on, them wipe right off. And remember, I had the paint on a wet/damp washcloth. You can always add more paint, but you can’t as easily get it off!

8. Melissa says

I just discovered your site… Great stuff! :)
    I just stained a wooden dresser top with wood stain tinted black. It still looks brown to me. I’m wondering if this technique might work using the grey paint I used on the dresser body? Grey over brown? What do you think might result? LOL I guess I could just try it and see.
    Thanks for the pointers!

• Cass says

Hi Melissa! This technique will work when you are going darker, but probably not lighter… but I guess you can try it and see! It sounds like you want to go darker anyway, so this could work!