Modest is Hottest!

This may be a little off topic, but I just had to share.

Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

A couple years ago while surfing around Pinterest, I saw this idea and though genius!  A mother, like myself who was sick of seeing unclad barbies lying around willy nillly, took a sharpie and well… here is the result.

modest barbies idea

image source

We only had one barbie at the time, and call me a prude if you must, but you better believe I got my sharpie out and drew on that cute little suit.  Well, I wasn’t totally happy with the results.  Mine had pen marks and when I tried to go over the same spot it lifted off the first layer instead of darkening it. So, while it was better than nothing I still didn’t love it.

Fast forward a year or so.  We now have more than one Barbie and I really wanted to fix the problem (which is my girls know how to take the clothes off, but not get them back on)… enter nail polish.  That is when it hit me, I could not only cover up these immodest dolls, I could make it SUPER cute and totally colorful!

Modest Barbie swimming suits with nail polish-14a

If you love this idea, please share it!!!

And of course I am going to show you how I did it…. (just in time for Christmas… yes, I just said the “C” word before Halloween, I am a rebel like that!)  So I bought some brand new Disney princess dolls to demonstrate how easy this is.

Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

Here they all are fresh out of the box, with their hair all pristine and their dresses still in place.  Live it up girls, that is the last time you will look this good!!!  (it only takes one tiny 2 year old to change that REALLY quickly!)

Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

And about 3 minutes later…Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

Goodness, I love this little mini girl!!!

Okay, so the process is really easy.  Just lift the doll’s arms out of the way and start with the top line.  I usually do a sweetheart neck line in front,  and carry the line diagonally down the side and joining it in the back, then just fill the body portion of the doll below.  Move the legs as necessary, just watch out, because sometimes when you move the leg it will hit the body.  You can do as many coats as you need, and you can re-coat as necessary.  Also, if you mess up at all you can remove the spot with some remover on a q-tip.

Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

Between coats, they can practice a little yoga in the sunlight as they dry out.

Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

Give them a good hour to cure, if you do more than one coat, you don’t want ugly smudges! The best part is all the color choices you have!  And this is what you get front and back:

Hey everyone!  It looks like a MODEST pool party on the roof of the Barbie Dream house!

Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

Modest Barbie Swimming suits with Nail polish

So what do you think?  So excited about having modest Barbies around in between outfit changes!  If you like this idea please share it!  Thanks guys!

EDIT:  So apparently people are ticked that I painted nail polish bathing suits on my barbies… so here is my response.  I should explain that it is hard for me to express this without being passionate after the lash out that I have received in the last couple days.   So forgive me for my somewhat passionate and defensive response.

I wrote the post more as just a fun way to not have naked Barbies lying around all over my house.   My children are young enough that they have a hard time putting the dresses they take off, back on.

But I now know, that apparently people believe that the only way to teach a child to love their bodies is to show them naked dolls?  Are you kidding me?  This teaching approach  is careless and shows people’s lack of commitment to teach any sort of morals to their children.

I believe that bodies are of the upmost importance and are a sacred gift from God.  So, I talk to my daughters about the sacred importance and beauty of their bodies.  I tell them daily how beautiful they are, and I answer any questions they have straight forward and honestly.  Even if it might seem strange to explain to a four or two year old.  I don’t hide my naked body from them, if they see me naked, then that is fine.  If they ask me questions about my naked body, I answer them.  Also, I explain why I dress modestly to them, and I teach them about what modesty in dress is.

I asked my daughter this morning what she thought about her body and she told me “It is so special”.

Just because I painted a swimming suit on my daughters dolls does NOT mean I am a prude, that is afraid to answer questions about important topics.   It is quite the opposite, I talk to them daily about the important things.   I don’t expect a naked doll to do the teaching in my house, I take care of that myself, one on one with my children.

Comments

Haha! That is genius! And muchly better. Having a son I was always faced with GI Joe’s and Star War troubles and most of their clothes were made on. Good thing. Nudie dolls make me uncomfortable. I don’t know why. I do know I would never have thought of this. You’re so smart!

JaG

2. Daniela says

How it is a problem having “naked” barbies, but it is NOT a problem giving your daughter those unrealistic female bodies to play with? What kind of message are you giving her? “a naked body is bad”? “an ideal body is one with the organs compressed, but covered up”? How is a naked body not modest!? except when we are protecting ourselves against the elements, everything that we put over our bare skin is just to stand out. Exactly the oposite to what modesty means!
    I’m not trolling, I’m honestly asking, what is the problem with a naked body?

Daniela,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. The whole point of this post is not to cause controversy, it is that I am sick of naked dolls lying around, and this is what solved the problem. My daughters love their swimming suits.

My daughters are comfortable and proud of their bodies, they are absolutely perfect, and I tell them that more than once a day. As far as the modesty thing goes, I believe our bodies our a sacred gift from God. We need to try to keep them healthy and beyond that, we do not need to show everything we have to every person. Just because the human body is the most beautiful creation on the planet, doesn’t mean we need to expose it.

• jenny says

A child does not understand that a doll has unrealistic proportions. They do not understand the human body so indepth that they think I need to be just like this. They see only what is the same, 2 arms 2 legs a head and a tummy. Children learn from society that size is in any way important. Models seen EVERYwhere idolizing petite blonde girls. Or parents telling them about what “fat” is. I, as a child, added my own undies to my dolls with masking tape. Because I wanted them to be like me.( I didn’t know enough then about bras) if you want your kids Barbie’s to remain bare then do that in your household please do just that and I in the process try and teach your children that everyone is going to do things a little, or a lot, different and that is the beauty of life. Next you will say “you only got princesses? What is that teaching?” Its not the object that reaches a child’s mind. That is just a tool. It is the parents who teach.

3. Jess Ziegler says

I think this is absolutely an awesome idea. Unlike some others thinking it is unnecessary(nothing wrong if you do) but I think its not about it being wrong to be nude or that our bodies are bad its about the whole idea of having them sitting around and especially if you have boys in the house it is something that should be covered up. Like I said its not a matter of your body being bad its a matter of teaching little girls from the time they are young to honor their bodies. My reasons for why I would do this may be a little extreme but as a 14 year old this is what I think… :)

4. Colleen says

Great idea I also hate naked barbies laying around the house something doesn’t seem right about it my daughter and I might do this.

My mom did this for me when I was little–I had a Ken doll with outlines of underwear and it bugged her so much that she covered the underwear with nail polish too.

My daughter has some Princess barbie type dolls, but they were made with colored areas already, so I haven’t had to do this yet. You can be sure I will do it when I have to. But first I would have to buy nail polish (if you can believe that!)

We did that with some of ours too, but I just went ahead and gave them straps too. We had some fun color combos too- one of them was really cool with a stripe down the side! :)

7. Janette says

YIPPEEEEEEEEE! Does that tell you how excited I am for this? I bought metalic sharpies just so I could cover up those naked barbies and fairies. Rubbed right off. I thought permanent ment it wouldn’t come off. Silly me. I am so excited to do this, I will be sharing with everyone I know! Thank you! Love your blog by the way.

YAY! I am so glad you saw this too! I am getting raked over the coals on pinterest! But I think mothers with daughters who play with Barbies understand the annoyance! (p.s. the metallic nail polishes look the coolest like Tiana’s suit!… in my opinion!!)

8. MelanieH says

Thank you so much for this simple, great idea! I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who dislikes seeing naked dolls! lol!

This is so cute! I only have boys so I couldn’t even remember what Barbie looks like sans clothes, lol. I can see how that can be a bit disturbing. That is cute idea. I wonder if the nail polish pens would work, too? Maybe detailed Barbie underwear? Love the Barbie yoga!

Sarah, We are working on the comment issue! I don’t know why they aren’t showing… but in the next month I am getting a redesign, so it might have to wait until then either way!!

Anywho, about the swimming suits, I don’t know if you have girls but I have two and about 20 barbies, it just gets old seeing naked barbies laying around.

• Cindy says

Sarah, the Cyclist’s Wife: I think Cassity has already explained that she prefers NOT to have naked Barbie dolls because of their nudity. So, yes, the nakedness is offensive. She found a fabulous way to cover them that is creative & adorable. If others believe that the naked Barbie is ok, that is their opinion & they can keep their Barbies naked all they want, but some feel that it is more proper to “clothe” them. It is not meant to create a debate, but many still believe in teaching modesty to their children. Cassity: LOVE the idea! Barbie is too “developed” to be naked all over the house! lol

• mamaof2 says

Maybe it’s just me but whenever I see a pile of naked barbie dolls it’s so sad and depressing and it kinda reminds me of Schindler’s list or something (please no one get offended by that statement it’s just what it reminds me of). This keeps that sort of depressing scene from happening cause there is always at these the semblance of bright happy clothing. I’m super excited to apply it to our pile of dolls.

That’s just awesome. I have three boys and no Barbies, but I would be painting right now if I had any! Love the bright colors of their new ‘suits’!

11. Beth says

I’m laughing, but what a great idea! I’m past the Barbie stage (until Grandchildren), but I plan to remember this!

12. Tammie says

I have seen that before and yes, think it looks better, than naked dolls. The nail polish looks shiny, and really does look like swimsuits! Hey, the yoga poses are funny.

13. Crystal says

Genius!! When my girls were young, I used sharpies on both the male and female barbies. I wish I would have thought of fingernail polish. Awesome idea!!

I like it!! That is the most annoying thing about Barbies…they very rarely have clothes on with kids around and it just seems wrong somehow–they look so much cuter with pretty perma-swimsuits!

So I don’t have girls but if I did I would totally do this!
    To boy barbies and girl barbies (boys would get swim trunks of course.)
    I don’t loath naked barbies but I also don’t think they’re attractive at all.
    This is such a cute idea. Thank you pinterest!
    And thank you for sharing your revamp!

PERFECTION!!!!!!!! I recently packed up all my old barbies from my childhood home to save for my future children… needless to say they are all naked and in a box… I remembered how much fun it was to play with my moms retro strawberry blonde goddess and hope that some day my future little ones might get a kick out of them too. Thanks for the stellar tip. I will use it before they bare all ;) to my visiting toy box lovers. I might add a little vintage black and white suit in there too. Thank you!!!!!!

This is such a funny post! Loved the yoga drying photo. I would have never thought to cover up Barbie, but it looks like a bathing suit for sure! Now if only my butt and boobs looked half as good as that one Barbie in the blue shiny suit . . .

18. Piper says

It’s very cute and well executed for sure, but I worry little girls will attach stigma to a woman’s naked body. It’s not something to be ashamed of as very few humans are born with swimsuits on, whether immodest or modest. Kindly, I’d feel a little less ick about it if Ken was shown to have been given the same treatment.

I don’t own a Ken doll yet… that is the only reason he doesn’t have it! I have an edit on the post at the bottom if you want to hear a response from me about the stigma about our bodies.

I love this idea! It’s genius! I wish I had Barbies around the house, to try it on, but of course, my daughter has about 1,000 toy horses and no interest in Barbies :) Well done and thoughtful idea with the nail polish!

20. Celeste says

I freaking love you girl! You keep it up! I think that it’s so sad that people feel the need to criticize you for your choice to make something modest. I don’t understand why people feel the need to say that just because a person is modest, they are a prude. You keep on being an inspiration to us! I love reading your blogs seeing your beautiful daughters grow up in pictures!

21. Autumn says

I am so sorry to hear that people have lashed out at you and made egregious assumptions about your parenting because of this! I think it’s a fantastic idea! Those naked dolls don’t teach anything about anatomy anyway and the painted swimsuits are so pretty. These days modesty is under attack the way promiscuity was fifty years ago. People seem to think that if you are modest you hate your body, when really it is quite the opposite! Thanks for the idea and keep your chip up. There are others out there who totally “get it”, though it’s usually the naysayers who tend to be more vocal about their beliefs.

22. Carlie says

I love this! Kids always leave naked Barbies around and there’s no need to buy the Barbie swimsuit either. I’m logging this one away for when I have kids. Oh and sorry to hear about the negative backlash you got from this post. I think what you said was great. I’m a teacher and I have to say that if every parent followed your line of thought more closely it would help a lot of the issues I deal with at school.

23. Cindy says

I absolutely LOVE the idea of painting bathing suits on all those naked Barbies! I complelty agree I hate seeing them naked all over my house! I have a 4 and a 5 1/2 year olds that also can’t seem to redress the dolls yet. I also TOTALLY agree with your “edit”. Can’t believe anyone would give you negative comments for painting a Barbie…… Thanks for this great idea!!!!!

24. Mikki says

Damn straight! Sorry… I’m not much of a curser (cusser?) but some occasions call for it. I have to say, I don’t even know you and I’m just so proud of your edit responce. I couldn’t have said any of that better myself. I personally, am a fan of the covered Barbies/Dolls. Seriously, what’s the point in naked Barbies? In fact I remember some of my Barbies, growing up, having little texturizing over the bikini zones, to make it look like she was wearing underwear. …and sticking with the underwear theme – I don’t remember anyone getting their knickers in a twist over THAT.

I for one am not put off by your post. Rather, I think it’s a brilliant idea. We too have a problem with naked Barbies in our house. Like you it’s not a problem because we have a problem with our children seeing a naked body, but rather because my husband and I just get tired of seeing naked Barbies laying everywhere. So thanks for sharing the idea and specifics on how you gave the Barbies such cute bathing suits!

26. Sue says

My girlfriend sent this to me knowing I absolutely detest naked barbie dolls laying around (and with three girls, there are a TON of them!!!!) and I think this a SUPER FANTASTIC WONDERFULLY BRILLIANT idea!!!! My oldest was standing over my shoulder as I was reading this and she said, “See! We’re not the only ones who have naked barbie dolls laying around!” and I said, “right, but the little girl on here is 2yrs old.. you’re 14!!!!” LOL Anyway… she also thinks it’s a great idea so I’m sure there will be some painting going on in our house soon!!!!

Thank you!!!!

And you reply to the disgruntled ya-hoo’s… PERFECT!

Blessings!

That CRACKS me up! I think honestly the negative commenters, just don’t have naked barbies laying around the house or they would KNOW why I am doing it!!! Hope your girls have fun painting (oh and by the way another commenter said there are nail polish pens? That might be fun for making the suits more decorative, with patterns and such…?)

They look terrific! I especially like the ladies practicing their yoga poses! As far as loving our bodies, you are spot-on. It’s not necessary for us to show our bodies to the world in order to appreciate them! I’m going to have a swimsuit-adding party to my Barbies!

28. La La says

I don’t have any daughters, but I LOVE this idea (so many cool polishes out there these days)!
    I’m sorry about all the haters. I truly think you and I would be good friends. I’m the handi-person in our home and when we have the space, I’ll have that workshop I dream of…

29. Caitlin says

I am definitely not a prude, and speak openly with my family about everything from body parts to bodily functions, and I LOVE this idea!

30. tiffany says

Good for you! Sorry people are so willing to be hateful just because it is a virtual world. We are entitled to teach our kids how we feel best, so do what you must! I love your website and check it daily for great ideas!

I am TOTALLY with you- I don’t like to have naked Barbies all over the house! I just bought some pretty polish today, and my daughter’s dolls are getting their make-over tomorrow! Thanks! (and ignore those who say you have body issues- that’s just ridiculous!)

32. Frances says

I wish painting clothes on a Barbie is all anyone had to worry about. I didn’t see the comments but I can imagine from your post update they where not pretty. I agree naked barbies lying around are not fun to look at. And your solution seems like a cute idea to me..cheers and chin up. Haters gotta hate ;) frances

33. SandiB says

I think this is a) hilarious, and b) fantastic and c) a great way to get all those darn nekky barbies off the floor, lol! Anyone who is bashing you for painting suits on barbies is waaay too concerned with how much affect a plastic doll has on a kid. Seriously. My kids see me unclothed when I change, and they have no shame in their own bodies, but man I get sick of seeing naked barbies all over the place! Personally, I think I’ll be lining up about 20 dolls tomorrow while the kids are at school and giving them new bathing suits! And those lucky ducks (the barbies) don’t even have to face the dressing room mirror! This is great, thanks for posting!!

I think is as an awesome idea! Kudos to you for taking the time to do it! :) I love your response to those rude comments people posted….having you teach your girls instead of the naked barbies is awesome! Love, love, love this post and am promoting on every social media I have! Have a great night!

What a great idea. I work in child care, for a before and after school program. So we have pre-K through 4th grade age children. I too did not like seeing naked Barbies and Kens laying around, with such an age range. So I gave them all permanent marker bathing suits. in a variety of colors. The girls sport modest 2 pieces and the boys shorts. The marker, although permanent seems to rub off on to other areas of the dolls, when in the storage box…. So next time I will try the nail polish to see if the transfer of color is less likely, and hopefully the bathing suits with hold up just as long. Thank you for the great idea. Oh, and the parent that felt that naked Barbies with their perfect unrealistic bodies, would somehow make a child feel better/more comfortable about their own body, hhhmmmmm think you are off your mark. Sure, play in the tub with naked Barbies/dolls, bathing suits optional lol, but, like the rest of the family, put some clothes/diaper on when you are running around the house, that goes for Barbie too.

36. Aimee says

I was so happy to find your awesome idea for a well known problem with these dolls. I too teach my daughters modesty and don’t see the need for dolls to be naked. Lets face it they only wear those clothes for about 5% of their lives!! lol

37. Julie Smith says

I love this! I fully agree with your approach to how we show that we love our bodies. Naked barbies is not the answer. I think you’ve got it right! Thank you.

I wish the comments were viewable on the actual post, I’m only getting them via e-mail and I don’t think I’m getting them all. I’m reading there were some negative comments but I have not actually read anything that I thought was negative. I was very curious to know what others thought about this post. When this was initially posted I didn’t totally understand if the bathing suits were to “hide” the nudity from children or just because there were a bunch of naked Barbies floating around all the time. Personally, if the suits are being painted to “hide” nudity I think it sends the wrong message to girls about naked bodies, like it is a negative thing. That though, is my personal opinion and I do believe others are entitled to do whatever is right for them in their house. Like I said, I wish I could see all of the comments purely based on my own curiosity regarding other peoples thoughts and points on the subject. Any chance on getting that fixed soon?

I guess you aren’t getting my responses? I think I’ve responded to you at least twice? I have had my tech guy trying to figure out the comment thing, but the truth is we are getting a whole site redesigned in a couple weeks, so I imagine it won’t be fixed til then. The negative comments I have received have mostly been on Facebook and Pinterest, not so much on the blog…

39. Amanda says

I think it’s a brilliant idea and I’m not even that modest of a person. But modesty is definitely a good value to teach our daughters. Barbie’s body is so unrealistic that if she were real, poor Barbie would be dead. Exposing our children to fully nude, unrealistic examples of a woman’s body should not be our approach to teaching them to love their own bodies. Ignore the naysayers. I will definitely be using this!

I LOVE the idea. I’m getting out the nail polish right now. As for all the negative attacks I can’t see on the website… Yes, we are screwing up our children by not letting them have naked Barbies. Really? Give me a break. Right now we only buy the ones that are already painted. And they do sell them like that. The ballerina ones and mermaid ones are often painted.

41. the retired mama says

What a brilliant idea! I have never understood why Barby needs to be naked, and I think the swimsuits are so pretty. Thanks for the ‘Duh- Why didn’t I think of that idea.’

42. Melody Day says

I think your post about the swim suit barbies is genius! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing and I loved your response to those that didn’t support you in your idea. Thank you for sharing and thank you for teaching modesty in a twisted culture. May the Lord bless your efforts and your family!

I ran across this post while looking at your other stuff. I am so sorry that you were lashed out at. I love this idea for the Barbies. We only have a few Barbie like dolls, and my 6 year old has a hard time getting the clothes back on, too. haha. They are so small. I think this is so clever and cute. I love your response to the lashers and I am sorry that you got mean comments. I hate that. I don’t really care to have naked dolls lying around to much, but why, when you can have cute suits on them. haha. I mean, we don’t lay around the house naked….why should our dolls!! I love that you said this in your reply…”I believe that bodies are of the upmost importance and are a sacred gift from God. So, I talk to my daughters about the sacred importance and beauty of their bodies. ” I totally agree and I do the same thing. I think that painting the suits on the naked dolls will help my 4 year old son, more than it will my daughter! When they play together with the dolls he asks more questions about why they are naked than my daughter does. I certainly don’t want him to think that is what a woman’s body SHOULD look like! :) Sorry about the haters.

44. Misty says

Such a cute idea! I have two girls and I too am tired of naked dolls being everywhere… Especially when a guest comes by lol. I just wanted to add that I was quite shocked that someone would question your child rearing just for painting a bathing suit on a Barbie. It’s neurotic! Keep on blogging :)

45. Rebecca H. says

This is an amazing idea. I had issues of Barbie already being an unrealistic human body example for my girl and seeing them naked always made me feel uneasy. I was so excited to see a Barbie with an already painted body and just a skirt that comes on and off for my two year old. But with this idea, I can now feel better about buying a regular Barbie. Thank you

46. Yadira says

Thanks for this! I colored boxers onto a Ken with permanent marker, but it ran a little. I will be doing this with my daughter’s barbies. She is 5 and does not like when other girls come over and leave the dolls undressed. It really bothers her. Since I have sons and a daughter, I try to teach them to be modest. Great post!!!

47. Charity says

I love your post! I think your idea is smart and I would have never thought you would get backlash over this. (Some people!) Cute Barbie bathing suits and your daughters sound wonderful and well adjusted.

48. Colleen says

Ignore haters. I think it’s a very cute and harmless idea. When my daughter played with Barbie’s they too often were naked. It can be difficult to put clothes on the dolls, especially for little hands. This way they would only have to put a bottom on (skirt or pants) and they are ready to go! Great idea!! :-)

49. Krystin says

LOVE THIS! This will make my family so much happier!! I too love the idea of teaching my girls that even their dolls can be modest!!

50. Kristina says

When I read the blog title and saw the photo of the bathing barbies, I was sure it would be a blog post on how indecent they make barbies nowadays with skimpy little, shiny bathing suits (since I only have boys, I´m not updated when it comes to barbie). I totally supported the idea as I do react strongly to how for example fashion is made to be sexy, even for little girls. I was shocked to read that you had actually painted the dolls to look like that and doing so in the name of modesty. Honestly, they now look super sexy! A “naked” doll is just a doll without clothes, but these bathing beauties are really showing off their assets in a big way! And even in real life most people will agree that lingerie is sexy – naked is simply natural.

51. Emily says

I love this! Great idea and I’m definitely going to paint some swimsuits on all of our naked Barbies. Have you tried this for Ken dolls?

52. Noreen says

I absolutely, totally love this idea! It looks so easy to do and it appeals to a dolls’ modest side. I laughed out loud at all the dolls doing yoga poses!!! Thanks for sharing :)

53. Jenn Slaymaker says

I was actually searching for Barbie organizing tips when I found your post and after reading it I can’t believe anyone would give you a hard time. I have 3 daughters and TONS of barbies with not enough clothes…on. I totally agree with you about not wanting naked dolls all over the playroom. We are no prudes here either but I don’t feel comfortable flaunting nudity around small children that are incapable of fully understanding when it’s appropriate to not have clothes on. Great tutorial!

54. Paige says

I honestly, REALLY like this idea. I don’t mind naked Barbie dolls, but painting on “bathing suits” is a really neat tip. I just might have to do this!

55. Lisa Valentine says

I love your solution. I have been trying to find a way for my daughter to only need to pull a skirt or pants on as that is all she can figure out at this time. I agree that body beauty comes from conversations with our children, not naked dolls. We remain dressed in public and so should the dolls. If my daughter or son has questions about their bodies I answer the question, I am pretty sure a doll cannot answer my child’s question. Thanks for sharing!

56. Debbie says

somehow I am JUST NOW seeing this. and A) I LOVE THIS IDEA. I totally want to do this. B) Even if you are a “prude” you know how to talk to your daughters and they are YOUR kids and C) I too am sick of the perpetually naked barbie doll. Nail polish seems like a perfect solution!

57. Kerum says

I just love the response to the haters. Teaching our children instead of letting dolls do it? What a novel idea! LOL Keep up the awesome work…and I love the trick you showed on this post. Even if I do have all boys and clicked just to see the cute tutorial. :-) Figured my niece would benefit from this since she loves to have her Barbies naked. LOL

58. maria says

Well…in short I love this idea on so many levels. No naked dolls laying around and MODESTY ! !
    Need I say more…I dont feel it’s being prude in any way…..I feel it’s giving our young little impressional girls guidence in the proper directio, to grow up to become women of grace and integrity.

59. Sheena says

I can’t believe I never thought to do this…BRILLIANT! I always hate those naked Barbies, and think they are so awkward. Pronto…problem fixed. THANK YOU!

60. Karen says

For what it is worth my 8 year old daughter was looking at pinterest with me when we saw a pin for this. She loves the idea and so do I. We will be doing this with her Barbies soon. Hold your ground and your convictions and well done for teaching them to your little one. Some people are not happy unless they have something negative to say. I thought your comments in your edit where dead on and very true. ~Blessings~

61. Candace says

Ok, I have just found this post, and I LOVE your idea of painting the naked Barbies! I cannot believe you had such horrible feedback on this! We have two sons, ages 9 and 6. Our 4 year old daughter is extremely into Barbies, but every time I look around, there is a naked Barbie somewhere. I am trying so hard to teach my children that their bodies are special and that there are things we just don’t “show” to anyone else. I don’t want my sons to learn about the female body from a Barbie; goodness knows real women do not look like Barbie!! Thank you, again, for such a wonderful idea! Love, love, love your blog, as we are in the middle of a major remodel project ourselves!! What craziness!!

I wasn’t allowed to play with Barbies until I was 8, because my mom wasn’t ready for me to be exposed to their “mature” bodies. I got mononucleosis when I was 7, right around the holidays, which was horrible because I had to be away from the rest of the family as they celebrated. My parents were divorced since I was a toddler, and my dad brought me a Barbie when I was sick, not knowing about my mom’s 8+ rule. She let me play with it just while I was sick, then it had to be put back away. (Because I would forget Barbie had breasts for the next 6 months???)

Anyway, when I was eventually allowed to play with Barbies on a regular basis, they were required to be dressed at all times. If my mom found one in any state of undress, Barbie got taken away. Your nail polish bathing suit trick is mighty clever! I love the yoga poses as they dried, too!

63. Amy says

I just stopped by to give you a fist bump!!! Its hard to keep barbie modest… my girls just got their first barbies because I really have been fighting tooth and nail against it. I love your idea! And the idea of modest any kind of doll, sorry about the lashing you got , but remember if you’re getting beat up you must be doing something right ;) keep it up momma!!!

64. Jenn says

Love it! They’re so cute! Sorry for the mean things that people said, people get really worked up on the internet over the silliest things sometimes. Keep being awesome :)

65. Iris says

I believe you have every right to do what you think is best for you and your children in your own home. I love the idea of painting swimsuits on my daughters dolls. Especially because I have little boys in the house. Also, they look pretty and if she wants to take him to the bathtub they already have swimsuits on! Who cares if people think you’re a “prude”! THEY aren’t the ones that are there daily for your children, teaching them what they need to know! Love your idea and keep on thinking creatively :) Good Luck!

66. Holly says

Love this post! I’m sick of my house looking like a Barbie crime scene with lifeless, naked bodies lurking around every corner. Bathing suits are going on now!

I loved your idea & I did it to my daughter’s dolls (Rapunzel, Merida, a horsewoman Barbie, and Jessie from Toy Story. I didn’t make mine bathing suits specifically. I did matching bra & briefs/boy shorts (looks like a modest two-piece as well) on most of the girls. Jessie has a younger body type, so she got a one-piece. I also matched their original clothes. I also did the Flynn Ryder (Eugene) doll. He got permanent marker boxers/swim trunks covered with a layer of nail polish. My daughter is 4 and she helped me pick out the colors for their suits. While I painted & she chose colors we talked about how bodies aren’t meant for everyone to see naked.

Let the haters hate. I think those of us who loved the idea make far more sense than the haters!

Erika! I love hearing this! I love how you involved your daughter and talked about the importance of bodies! That is exactly what I am talking about!!!

68. Faye Sanders says

Thank you for sharing this. I am sorry that you received such negative feedback regarding having bathing suits on a Barbie. I also agree that this is a good solution to having naked barbies around. I will be doing this to the barbies in our house.

69. Jackie Thomas says

Loving this!!! I am a no bikini , modest clotges , value your body momma. I bought a few barbies that actually came with a printed on swim or lingerie. I love those two dolls. The rest of the little women my son does the annoying huhuhu giggle because its NAKED gasp. I will pit a glitter coat overe these. Thinking it wont scratch off as quickly

70. Libby says

I like it. It’s a permanent shirt! Pull on an home made skirt and Mom no longer has to dress dolls either. Win-win.

71. Tina Matteson says

I love this idea and am going to go upstairs and get the Barbies and paint them right now!!! It will be a great surprise for my little girl when she gets home from school. Thanks so much!

72. Rachel says

Why is anyone over reacting about you painting some dolls. Holly Cow! I have two little girls, and I have taken time (like most mothers) to make sure I talk with them about their bodies and how special and private they are. It’s not for EVERYONE to see. Too bad you can’t paint some nail polish over the way some of these teenagers dress now-a-days. There is nothing at all wrong with tthe human body, and I totally get that you are NOT saying there is. I think the people jumping on you about it either have no daughters, or have nothing better to do. We have dolls, and my girls love to change the clothes around and sometime the dolls get left naked and laying around. It does get old. If I had a penny for every pair of doll boobs I have seen in my life time, I would be crazy rich. Painting a suit on the dolls so that they wont be left lying around naked is a cute and fun idea. As a matter of fact, my five year old would get a kick out of it if I gave her a bottle of nail polish and told her she could paint the doll. Plus, since you can remove the polish with remover, what’s to stop to kids from getting to change the dolls “swim suit” every once in a while.

73. Lauren says

My daughter is only 5 months old, so I will be needing this in a year or so! I love this idea! I also LOVE LOVE LOVE your response to your haters. Thank you for standing up for modesty and for showing that just because you are modest, that doesn’t mean you are a prude, but rather that your body is special enough not to show to the world.

74. Lindsay says

I normally wouldn’t leave a comment, just read it, pin it, and move on, but seriously!? People, if you don’t like the idea, just close out the window and move on. This is a fun idea, the dolls are looking great after their little makeover, and I think it’s really unfortunate that so many people are so hell bent on getting offended. Get a life.

75. Tina says

I couldn’t agree with you more! Besides, it isn’t a doll’s responsibility to teach our kids about body image… it is the parent’s job! Good for you standing up for good moral values and modesty!!!!! MORE parents should do so and we wouldn’t have so many misguided children looking to the media and their friends to find out what is right and wrong.

I am 100% behind you on this idea. We do not need naked barbies – the girls love them in their “swimming suits”. Modesty is a great thing to teach our girls. They are beautiful covered.

77. Janet says

You know i have seen barbies with painted under ware on them but for some reason they never painted on bras when i was little. I always thought that was strange lol I thank you so much for this and completely agree with you 110%.

78. tammy woodcock says

LOL, this is great. I run a daycare and the boys laugh all the time at seeing the naked barbies and pick on the girls. This will put a stop to this, I hope. Great idea. Tammy

Seriously ignore the comments that are negative. I think this is a great idea. What is wrong with people that they think your opinion on how you raise your daughters to be modest, is really any of their business. If they want their daughters to have naked barbies then let them. If you want your daughter’s barbies to be dressed then that great!!

80. Jeanette says

I love this idea!! My 4 yr olds barbies are getting a new swimsuit in the morning! I also love your edited addition!! Very well said! Great job Mom!!

81. Yadira says

My daughter is 5. To be honest, SHE does not like her dolls going around “naked.” She hates when her friends come over and leave her dolls undressed. She has a hard time putting most of their clothes back on. I will be doing this to her dolls and even let her pick out the colors. I know this will make her feel better. (Don’t listen to all the “haters.” They are always around and more than happy to spread their hate.)

82. Zack says

Way to go. We need more quality folks concerned with modesty in this world. Thanks for your refreshing perspective.

My son and I colored his Star Wars action figure to cover padmay’s bare midriff.

He pointed it out to me that it wasn’t modest.

I’ve always disliked nudie Barbies laying around. They look so ick. Anyone who thinks their bland little stick bodies are great ways to teach positive self-image to little girls just confounds me. I’d much rather see cute little colorful swimsuits on them. I love this idea and I’ve got five new (totally naked, thanks to our two-year-old) Barbies to paint this afternoon. Thanks for posting this tutorial!

84. Bethany says

I’m glad you explain things with your girls so forwardly, even though they’re young. My mom was the same with me. However I don’t agree with covering up the dolls body. I’m a child of the early 90s, the time barbies were beginning to be manufactured without the printed underwear, and growing up playing with them I never noticed that they were naked until I was in my teens because it wasn’t important to me yet. Children are innocent and making a big deal about it is kind of what brings on the insecurities. I discussed the naked Barbie issue after I read your post with some girls my age in my bible study group at college and we all agreed that toys and dolls aren’t what made us insecure over the years. It was pressure from boys, our parents, the clothing choices we’re stuck with in stores lately, and the way women and high school girls are depicted on TV. I am not a parent, and in no position to tell you how to raise your children, but my point is to please just be careful about what you make a ‘deal’ over around your little ones. A naked doll never mattered to us when we were two and it shouldn’t to anyone else either :) Thanks for sharing and giving us something really engaging to discuss in our group!

85. Rene says

Thank you so much for this DIY. I can not believe you received negative feedback from this idea.
    I see the barbies without clothes on and think that’s just one more thing I have to do before guests come over for a vist. Now I don’t have to rush to pick them up and put them away or put their clothes back on.
    Again thanks!!!!

86. Tina says

Posts like this make me feel bad. Because, seriously, it’s not rocket science. In fact, it should be pretty obvious. And yet, even though I have nekkid barbies all over my house and it makes me nuts, I never would have thought of this! LOL All million and one barbies are getting new bathing suits this weekend!

87. Cathrina Andrus says

I can’t believe how much crap people have given you about this! I think it’s brilliant! Keep it up!

I came across Mattell’s (retired) “Palm Beach” Barbies on eBay recently. These fab “always dressed” Barbies sport adorable, modest, PAINTED-ON, Lilly Pulitzer-inspired) 2-pieces… I Was Bowled Over!!! The “Nekid” Barbie problem was solved!!! I scooped up 4 of those girls!

My husband & I have never loved having little plastic naked ladies lying around our home. In the bathtub, nudity’s great. In the living room with company, not so much. (Especially when said company is a couple of preeten friends of our son).

Eager to bless our daughter’s others Barbies (& Ken dolls) with under garments, I just Googled how to do it & was led to your great Pinterest post! The metallic nail polish is genius & your dolls look great in their new suits!!!

Thank you for sharing this charming, creative solution to the propriety issue (as well as the swimwear for 20 dolls issue)! (:

89. Sherrill says

Brilliant!!! Thank you. I have many naked dolls all over out house and am thrilled to have found this post. You are an amazingly responsible and loving mother to care about modesty on behalf of your family. Kudos to a great woman with courage and love for goodness!!! I have raised 4 and am raising 2 more children and this kind of love is love that is treasured by our families and helps them to make healthy decisions for their families. We as women need to remember that being empowered is being careful and loving towards ourselves as well as others.

90. JenniT says

Love, love, LOVE this!!!! Fabulous idea!! Wish I’d have thought of this 20 years ago! My daughter would have loved it, too!

91. Candice says

I think this is a wonderful idea! I couldn’t agree more with your thoughts on modesty. Our barbies are getting nail polish swim suits today!:) Thank you for sharing this great idea in spite of the ugly comments.

92. terri says

You have my support on this one. I cant believe people feel the need to judge and make you feel the need to defend your post. bunch of bullies. If they don’t want to paint theirs, then fine, but this is a post about how to do it if you so desire to have Barbie dressed– it says nothing about your ability to parent or what kind of relationship you have with your daughter.. People are so quick to make everything into a social issue. Rock on and keep painting those cute swimming suits.. I think they are adorable.

93. Lara says

So you’re teaching your daughter that skin tight clothing and stuff that looks like latex, often used for S&M purposes, is what she should wear? Or that she should be a never nude (ala Tobias Funke)?

These dolls don’t have nipples or vaginas. Seriously, who cares?

<–feels sorry for your children.

94. Paulina says

This is just brilliant. We have lots and lots of Barbies. I love this idea. You know there is always going to be someone that doesn’t share the same opinion as you and can hide themselves through the internet. They will say something, that they would never dare say to your face. I believe in modesty and teach that to my daughter also. Modesty doesn’t mean you are ashamed of naked bodies at all. Great idea. Kudos to you again!

95. Nicola says

You rock! The naked barbie thing has often made me feel uncomfortable and I never thought of this clever idea. Thank you! And I agree with you about teaching modesty – it’s not barbie’s job, it’s ours.

96. Ruth says

I love this idea, my biggest problem with barbies and dolls is that they are left laying around naked. Naked dolls don’t teach kids anything, but you are teaching your girls something important. Some people just don’t get it, I do and I commend you for it and for sharing your brilliant idea with the rest of us! Thank you!

97. tasha says

Apparently this issue has come up before because Mattel started producing Barbies with underwear molded on.

98. Nikki says

Good grief! Talk about over thinking it, people! I’m not ashamed of my body, but…I still wear clothes around other people! I think even painting little bras and panties on them would be cute. That way when the barbies go to the store or to work, they can do so with a little clothes on!
    If our girls are curious about naked bodies they can look at their own, or ask about ours! I agree with you…we aren’t relying on dolls to teach them about themselves, any more than we would expect them to learn about animals solely from their stuffed animals.
    I’m sorry you got some heat from this, keep on keeping on!

99. Melissa says

I just found this on Pinterest and immediately pinned it. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I have actually had a barbie foot stab me in the eye when I taking a wet bathing suit off it!
    As for the modesty issue I completely agree with you. Dolls are a teaching tool that help enhance what we teach our girls; if I don’t want my daughter to visit her friends naked, watch t.v. naked, or go to church naked then why should her dolls. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

100. Jenn says

I think this is a great idea. I get tired of naked barbies all over my house too. They look cute!

101. Rosa says

Been meaning to do this with the Barbie my daughter got for Christmas. Thanks for the encouragement!

102. Shautel says

Thank you for this. I hate naked dolls period, nothing about being prude it just gets on my nerves. I tried the sharpie & rubbed off. Never thought about bail polish yep on my to do list! Some people troll the internet just to be negative. You shouldn’t feel the need to justify why hou feel this way!

This idea is fantastic! I think it teaches modesty intead of shame! Good lawd….I’ve got so many dolls to paint!! Your response to the blog trolls is spot on. Thanks for sharing!

104. Kathleen says

What an awesomely cute idea! Thanks for posting it. I’m so sorry people had to leave nasty judgmental comments! There are people everywhere you like to make life unpleasant. We just have to smile and love them anyway!

105. Grace says

Love this! Kids are going to be kids, no matter what we talk to them about. The little fairy dolls come with painted on bodices, but our current problem is the girls scratching off the paint to see if there are nipples underneath… and yes. We’ve talked to them about it. Looks like this will be perfect to paint their modesty back on. Haha!