The very first project just sort of happened. It started like many projects do, with me saying, “I think I will just change this one little thing….” Then when I begin “it” I find a problem with “this”, which leads to “that”. Or in other words the rooms secrets begin to come out and the “tiny project” turns into nothing less than our very own Everest.
Actually, this project all started from me getting food poisoning. We had just moved in, and were basically camping in the one clean room in the house. We were about to go to sleep when the dinner I had decided it didn’t like me. I ran to our porcelain receptacle, and I had to sit on the most disgusting floor you can imagine, in my underwear. YUCKY!
So, the next day, while working at the Home Depot, I grabbed some clearance peal and stick tiles. I planned on giving us a clean surface for the mean time. (school was about to begin after all, so we didn’t have the time to start a whole project) While being miserable the night before, I noticed the floor was a not level and had dips and voids in it, so along with the tiles, I purchased a leveling compound. When I started the project I thought, I’ll just rip out the old vinyl, spread the leveling compound on the floor and slap on these new babies and we’ll be in business.
Well, when I got the vinyl up, I saw that they had patched a section of the floor just around the toilet with plywood, and it was sinking. A closer look in the cellar revealed that when they replaced that section of the floor, they cut come joists. Basically, our whole bathroom floor was being supported by nothing but the plumbing! Oh and by the way, this was our only bathroom.
Let the remodel begin!
Here are the before pics:
Here is a little quick fix idea, I did right at first just to make myself feel better. **This is a great idea if you have ugly counter tops and no budget to spare. I used some self adhesive shelf liner and covered the old counter top, then I caulked the seam around the sink. At least I knew it was clean.
**I have a friend (Hi Em! if you are actually reading all this) who did this in an apartment she rented. She used a marble look shelf liner and it lasted for a few years, and I actually really like the way it looked.
We decided to add a bead board wainscoting. Since the house already had bead board we thought it would compliment the rest of the house as well as the age.
I tried adding them all together so you can get an idea of how the whole room worked!