Sometimes, as a mom, I feel like a laundromat. it is like a never ending cycle of fluff and fold! And because I am ALWAYS doing laundry I don’t always think about the washing machine itself, however like any other machine or tool in your home there is always some maintenance and cleaning required. But I bet a lot of us neglect to think about cleaning our washing machine? Am I right? Gross! I do it too, don’t feel judged!
I thought is would be nice to have a quick tutorial on how to clean a top loader washing machine!
Clean Your Washing Machine!
How to Clean a Top Loader Washing Machine:
- Fill the washer with HOT water and add 1 quart distilled white vinegar, to break up buildup and mineral deposits. Let agitate for about 3 minutes. Then stop the cycle and set a timer for 1 hour, while it soaks.
- While the vinegar soaking, dip a scrubber sponge in the vinegar water and wipe all the nooks and crannies of your washer. Don’t forget the knobs, lid and the exterior. Wipe dry with a clean cloth.
- Clean and scrub any built in dispensers while it is soaking.
- Turn you cycle back on and run through a complete cycle.
- Again, fill the washer with HOT water. Add 1 quart of chlorine bleach to the water to disinfect and let the machine agitate for about 3 minutes, Then stop the cycle and set a timer for 1 hour, while it soaks. Turn you cycle back on and run through a complete cycle.
- Run one last short cycle without any cleaners to remove any residual cleaners.
Enjoy, for the five minutes that the machine can stay out of use!
Do you need instructions for cleaning a front loading machine, here they are!
Cassity Kmetzsch started Remodelaholic after graduating from Utah State University with a degree in Interior Design. Remodelaholic is the place to share her love for knocking out walls, and building everything back up again to not only add function but beauty to her home. Together with her husband Justin, they have remodeled 6 homes and are working on a seventh. She is a mother of four amazing girls. Making a house a home is her favorite hobby.
get the reader favorite
Cleaning Binder & Custom Cleaning Calendar
This 18-page editable cleaning binder printable pack will help you establish a cleaning schedule based on the custom tasks you actually need for your home. From the spring cleaning checklist to everyday cleaning recipes, this printable set is great for kick-starting a cleaning routine and staying on task with annual and semi-annual tasks, too.