Sometimes, as a mom, I feel like a laundromat. it is like a never ending cycle of fluff and fold! And because I am ALWAYS doing laundry I don’t always think about the washing machine itself! However like any other machine or tool in your home there is always some maintenance and cleaning required. But I bet a lot of us neglect to think about cleaning our washing machine? Am I right? Gross! I do it too, don’t feel judged!
I thought is would be nice to have a quick tutorial on how to clean a top loader washing machine!
Clean Your Washing Machine:
How to Clean a Front loader Washing Machine:
- To begin fill your front loader washing machine with hot water on the largest load setting. This will be a laundry free load, so no sneaking dirties in that machine!
- Add 2 cups of vinegar to the water to get rid of odor problems and hard water or mineral buildup. Allow the cycle to complete.
- Mix a bucket with a mix of 1 cup chlorine bleach and 1 gallon hot water. Grab some good rubber gloves and a washcloth. Wipe the interior glass door of your machine to remove any build up.
- Check the drainage line/filter in your machine. Drain any excess liquid and clean the lower filter (if your machine has one)
- Fill the washer a second time with hot water, also on the largest load setting.
- Add 2 cups of bleach to the water to remove stains and disinfect the machine. Allow the cycle to complete.
- To rinse any remaining residue, run a quick cycle with no additional cleaning supplies.
- Remove and clean the liquid soap, bleach, fabric softener dispenser. Allow them to soak in a mixture of mild detergent and hot water for approximately 10 minutes. Wipe away any grime with a washcloth, rinse and dry them. Return them to your machine.
- Clean the rubber door seal, using the bucket of diluted bleach and washcloth from before, wipe down the seal to remove any mold and mildew. Allow the solution to stay on the seal for approximately 5 minutes. Wipe with a clean wet washcloth and dry with a towel.
Now guard that baby fiercely… no unclean thing will ever go near it again. I kid, there is another load of dirty laundry waiting to be washed as we speak. I can guarantee it, if not now, just wait 24 hours. You cup over floweth, or is that the laundry basket I’m talking about?!
Do you need instructions for cleaning a top loading machine, here they are!