Put a spin on the classic summer appetizer with these Devilish Eggs! Liven up your backyard bash with chef Ted Allen’s delicious recipe.
Devilish Eggs with Cheddar, Chipotle, and Chives
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 6 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Put the eggs in a saucepan, cover with cold water by 1 inch, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes; then drain and immediately plunge the eggs into an ice bath to cool.
- Peel the eggs, slice in half lengthwise, and scoop out the yolks. Put the whites on a platter. Pass the yolks through a sieve in a medium bowl, or just mash with a fork. Mix in the cheese, mayo, sour cream, chives (reserving 1 teaspoon for garnish), chipotles, paprika and salt.
- Use a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip to pipe the filling into the whites — or, if you’re less fancy, use 2 spoons. Sprinkle with the reserved chives. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving, which should be within one day.
Special thanks to chef Ted Allen and AARP for sharing this recipe with us!