How To Install A Pallet Wood Back Splash

Submitted By Circa Dee

Today I have a before and after reveal for you that I am super excited about!  Here’s a glimpse at the after…

Last week we spent some time focusing on the dated galley kitchen in Cape May.  The cabinets, appliances, countertop and backsplash were all very late 80′s style but in excellent condition from little use over the years.  It is like no one ever used the kitchen in this old beach house ’til we got here.  With that said, we just couldn’t justify a full reno nor was it in the budget.  Here’s the awful before…

We found a couple of ways to transform this galley to become the rustic coastal kitchen that the beach house (and us) deserves.

Starting with the backsplash…the original was a sheet of plastic.  So 1988.  In the photo above it looks like drywall but it is actually waterproof.  This turned out to be a great base for the new reclaimed wood backsplash.  Would you believe it if I told you that reclaimed wood is an old shipping pallet?  For more details on the pallet wood, click here.

True story and I love it!  Ryan took a weathered oak pallet board apart and cut them into 18 inch segments.  He laid them out to play with the configurations and I scrubbed them clean.  I actually bathed them in the bathtub.  Weird but totally worth it.

The bf adhered the wood backsplash to the plastic walls with liquid nails.  He mixed up the light and dark colors and stained and plain in the layout to give lots of texture to the wall.

Then it was time to give the cabinets a makeover. We removed all of the doors and primed the wood veneer.  I couldn’t wait to kiss the 1980′s builder grade cabinets goodbye!  Isn’t it crazy how much of a disaster zone a little project can become?

We chose Benjamin Moore’s Woodmont Cream for the cabinets to brighten up the space.

It worked.  Two coats and they’re like new and so. much. brighter.  For more details on how we painted the laminate cabinets, click here.

And I’ll tell you what, with this new look in the kitchen I like the old school appliances.  I might even call them vintage, with love.

I couldn’t be happier with the end result.

Would you believe this transformation only cost about $60?  The cost of paint, primer and liquid nails plus our time planning and labor.

Did I mention the pallets were free?  Trash to treasure baby!

Comments

To tell you the truth, when I read the title of the post, I thought “Oh my, is that going to look ugly?!” I’m happy to say, that actually looks kind of cool! Well done!!

2. Shirley Lupton says

I love your backsplash. I would love to change mine but it has fake brick and the only way to remove it is to remove the dry wall also and I am not sure my husband is able to do that, so who knows if I will ever achieve what I want. Love your blog.

The pallet wood backsplash looks great. WE have beadboard on our backsplash and I have to say that it rarely takes cleaning so I doubt you will have any trouble with keeping it clean. Good for you for thinking out of the box.

I absolutely LOVE the back splash. Question, did you coat it with anything to keep it from deteriorating or getting grungy? And when you say you bathed them, could you give any tips on this? I think this “wood” look awesome for our back splash! Thanks so much for sharing!

5. Andrea Jasinski says

I’m also tackling a small scale kitchen makeover & LOVE your new backsplash. I think it looks awesome. My only question is if the area were used constantly (mine is!) would you be concerned with how to keep it clean?
    Thanks for sharing!

This was a guest feature, so I can’t tell you how it is holding up, but yes I would be a little concerned. You might have to use a dry wire brush to remove any food that flips onto it (after it has dried) from a mixer or what not. You might also consider waxing it, you’d have to test out a few boards before to see if it even worked.

The link below is for an MSDS for methyl bromide (bromomethane is the same thing.) In its pure state, it is a very volatile gas. Since it was a pesticide treatment on the wood in question, my guess is that it was applied in a diluted liquid form. Given its very high vapor pressure, it seems very likely that most, if not all, of the material should have evaporated long before now, in its end-of-life state. The pesticide action would be probably on the bromide ion solids left behind. An article I consulted on the material from Cornell confirmed that the amount of bromide ion left behind is minimal when methyl bromide is uses as a soil fumigant. I would expect similar action in a porous wood product.

Nevertheless, I recommend that the people handling the wood wear gloves (probably a good idea anyway, for splinter protection,) eye protection (again for dust being generated) and a disposable face mask, to prevent dust inhalation.