Sleek Dark Chocolate Painted Cabinets!

I am really excited to share this kitchen with you!  I get a lot of requests for kitchens of a different color… (meaning not white)  And I love the transformation of this kitchen  from light maple to dark chocolate !

-Cassity

kitchen34

Submitted By Decorating Cents

Hi my name is Andrea.  I am a wife and a mom on a mission to create a beautiful home for my family.  We recently moved into a bigger house with more space.  We are loving all the space but it will be challenging decorating it and keeping within our budget.  We are doing as much DIY as possible to make this house our home.

3 Favorite Posts (click on the picture to see the link!)

drum shade pendant tutorial girls bright bedroom stencil wall09

before-and-after-chocolate-brown-kitchen-rustoleum-kit-copy

Dark Chocolate Painted Cabinets

I showed you the kitchen cabinet reveal and now I’m gonna tell you how we did it.  We used a Chocolate Cabinet Transformation Kit from Rustoleum.  The kit allows you to paint your cabinets without sanding.  The color kit we chose was chocolate.  It’s the same one we used to transform the master bathroom cabinets as well.

Before:
before and after chocolate brown kitchen rustoleum kit
First remove all the doors and drawers from the frame.  I laid the doors out in the garage and kept the drawers inside.  The kit comes with a deglosser that takes the finish off the fronts.  You want to take as much shine off as possible for the base coat to adhere well.  The kit comes with scrub pads but I bought more since we used the previous ones in the bathroom.

painting cabinets01

Pour a generous amount of deglosser on the scrub pad and vigorously scrub each door and drawer front.  You’ll really work your muscles during this step.

painting cabinets02

During this step I also filled all the nail holes with nail filler since I was changing the hardware.

painting cabinets03

The next step is the base coat.  I wanted the backs of the doors painted as well so I started with the back.  Apply first coat and allow to dry a couple hours before applying the second coat.  After the backs are dry, flip and repeat first and second coats on the fronts.

painting cabinets04

painting cabinets05

You will need to degloss and paint 2 coats of the base coat on the frame as well.

painting cabinets06

I removed the drawers and sat them on the counter.  I just allowed the face to hand over the counter so I could apply to all sides.  Since I still had to feed the family during the week, I placed the drawers back in the frame and just left them pulled them out slightly they could dry.  You can see where I did this on the drawers along the window side.

kitchen22

The next step is the optional glaze.  The glaze makes the paint a little darker and allows you to add a wood tone to the finish instead of just the brown paint.

Here’s the brown paint dry.

Chocolate brown glazed cabients rustoleum kit (1)

Apply the glaze.  It goes on like the paint but after a few minutes it separates and looks like this.

Chocolate brown glazed cabients rustoleum kit (2)

Using the supplied cloths, wipe away as much glaze as you like to create the look you want.  I wanted the cabinets darker so I left more glaze on and the wood tone looks deeper.  Allow the glaze to dry 12 hours before applying the final clear coat.

Chocolate brown glazed cabients rustoleum kit (3)

The instructions say to allow the clear coat 12 hours to dry before putting on hardware and attaching back on frame and 24 hours before full function of the kitchen.  We didn’t have a problem with this since we were working on it at night and the cabinets had until the next day after work to dry.  I would highly recommend waiting for each coat to dry and using the kitchen only if you have to.  It would be a waste to go through all the work only to mess it up at the end.

kitchen25

kitchen32

kitchen36

kitchen34

kitchen35

kitchen29

I would definitely say this kit is well worth it.  A little time and patience and you get a beautiful outcome.  Although I did mention to hubby if we want to change the cabinets color in the future, he will just have to buy me new ones, I’m not doing this again.

before and after chocolate brown kitchen rustoleum kit copy

Comments

1. Bekah H says

I love the transformation! We are planning to use the cabinet transformation in our new house. Where did you find the back splash? It matches perfectly!!
    Thanks!

2. Micaylee says

I just redid my cabinets in a chocolate color and I am in love with your backsplash! Please tell me where you got it!

3. Bridgette S says

Was wondering how the Rustoleum paint/finish is holding up with wear and tear? Is it nicking at all? I am considering doing this but have 2 small kids who tend to beat things up a bit and I don’t want to waste my time if the finish is going to nick or chip off easily.

Dilan, This was a guest post so I can’t tell ya, but if you click on the link at the top of the post, i am sure they can help ya out!

Good luck!
      Cassity

4. Vio says

Cassity, Awesome transformation!!
    We just got our cabinets, stairwell, and bathroom painted dark chocolate semi-gloss (Dunn Edwards paints). When I picked the color I thought for sure my cabinets would look like your after picture (my kitchen cabinets were the same as your before) well, long story short I cried because the color did not came out the color I wanted. The painter did really care becaus I PICKED the color. So after $1500 I have an ugly accent brown its absolutely horrible and IS nothing like the color I had in mind. They didn’t glaze it so I am thinking if maybe my husband can do that so the color could be darker or is too late? Please please contact me, I would really appreciate your advice.

5. Nichole says

Looks AMAZING! I love the rich chocolate color. My husband and I were looking at the Rustoleum Countertop and Cabinet Transformation kits. Do you mind if I ask how many kits you used to do the cabinets? Our kitchen is a little bit smaller than yours, but we have a decent sized island like you do too. Thanks!

6. Yessenia says

I have been wanting to paint the kitchen cabinets for a long time now. I have one question for you, what material are your cabinets? Unfortunately mine are laminate, I am hoping yours were too, that way I know I dont have to go through the process of sanding them, then applying the paint. Congratulations on this transformation, it looks great! And thanks for sharing, it inspires the rest of us who want to do the same.

7. James says

Wow great job! How does someone know how much of the glaze to remove? I want to buy this kit but I would be afraid to ruin the look of the cabinets by messing this step up. How much time do you have before glaze dyes the paint? Thank you.

James, you might want to try a small scrap piece of wood just to get the hang of the glaze, but technically the amount you take off is really up to you. It is a personal preference. You wipe on the glaze and then wipe off, it doesn’t give you a ton of time, but a friend of mine ended up using a wet wash cloth to wipe it off and it gave her a little more time, but just check the manufacturers instructions, I know they will help you out!

Hi Cassity!

I love this before and after! It turned out so well! I’d love to pin it to the Home Depot Kitchen Ideas and Inspiration pinboard if you don’t mind!

Cheers,
    Caroline
    Senior Editor, The Home Depot

9. Amanda Sansone says

Hi! I found your blog after researching the best way to paint cabinets. Not only did you paint your cabinets the same color I want to paint mine, but yours looked exactly like ours do now!
    Can you tell me- how long ago did you do this project with rustoleum and has it lasted? Any problems or recommendations?
    You have a great DIY blog and I will be liking on fb and sharing!! Thank you so much for any input you may have!!
    Amanda
    O’fallon, MO

• Amanda Sansone says

Oh! I am just realizing that this was not your transformation. I’d love to know how rustoleum holds up!!

10. Donna says

I was trying to read your post about painting cabinets, but the page is so busy and the text is hard to read. I’ll bookmark your site and come back some other time.

11. Michelle E. says

Love how your cabinets turned out! Great job. I also wanted to know, what company is you tile backsplash from?? It looks like the exact color combo I need. Would mind emailing me with the company name and tile name/style? I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks so much.

Michelle

12. Dorilla says

Hi

Just wanted to say what a fabulous job you did very impressive, can you tell me how many gallons of paint was needed for your size if kitchen, also my kitchen is white and I would like to paint it beige would I still need to apply the deglosser to remove all the old paint.

Thank you so much for your great, detailed, and informational how-you-did it! I probably read your review 10 times before doing my own project! I just started it this weekend and mentioned your blog as a great reference. Feel free to check it out: http://bit.ly/1pyqcA2!

14. Yolanda says

Hi. Your cabinets turned out beautifully! I love the hardware you chose as well. Did it take you more than one kit to complete your whole kitchen?

• Cass says

Hi Yolanda! This was a guest post so if you’ll head over to the guest’s blog (linked at the top of the post) then she can answer your questions! Thanks!

15. Rosie says

Hi, I think your cabinet’s turn out beautiful. I am wanting to paint my kitchen cabinets too, but they are laminated. Would I have to sand them down, or just apply the paint in the kit you suggested?

• Cass says

Hi Rosie! This is a guest post, so you can click over to her blog (linked up toward the top) with questions, but the Rustoleum kit should work on any kind of cabinets, or at least that’s what I’ve heard! Good luck!