10 Gorgeous Living Rooms That Will Convince You to Get a Colorful Sofa
1. This relaxed living room by Lauren Liess wouldn’t be the same without the striking mustard yellow sofa.
The room is already special, with its built-in shelves, sconces, and window seat, but the bright sofa makes it a truly beautiful space. The yellow sofa is repeated in the pillows on the window seat, tying the two areas together.
2. The eggplant purple sectional gives this living room, designed by Hillary Thomas, a cool bohemian feel.
Imagine the room with a white sectional. It would be pretty, but very girly and kinda one-dimensonial. The dark eggplant sofa grounds the room while playing well with the other colors: pink, cream, and white.
3. Katherine Vos’ living room is elegant and stunning, thanks to the bold blue sofa.
The blue color is repeated in the art, but the rest of the room is decked out simply in white, black, and gold. This allows the blue sofa to shine without being overwhelming.
4. This living room by Ilaria Chiaratti wouldn’t be as alluring without the pastel blue sofa.
Imagine the room with a gray sofa. There would be nothing exciting or special about the room. The soft blue color of the sofa looks great with the neutral pieces in the room and brings out the little pops of color around the room, like in the ottomans, the accessories on the shelving, and the pillow on the chair.
5. The blue sectional sofa in the basement designed by Jamie Meares looks beautiful against the backdrop of dark gray walls.
A room painted in a dark color can look cozy and welcoming, but it can also get dark and depressing. This basement is definitely not depressing in any way, thanks to the gorgeous blue sectional that commands the space.
6. The emerald sofa, custom-made by designer Nicole Cohen, is the star of this room that’s mostly black and white (and gold).
If you love a room that’s mostly filled with neutral furniture and accessories, with a little gold and lucite sprinkled here and there, you absolutely need to have a sofa in a saturated color. The result is always a beautiful room.
7. A small room, like this tiny living room, can handle a bold sofa.
As long as your tiny room is mostly neutral, a brightly colored sofa looks great in a small space. Since it’s so bold, it takes up space visually so you can get away with only a few furniture pieces, which is a good thing for small spaces.
8. The hot pink sofa in Harriet Anstruther’s home makes a statement about the person living there.
If you have a signature color, go ahead and get a sofa in that color to give your room a big dose of personality! Even if your signature color is pink. Just look at the room, it totally works.
9. The teal accents in this room compliment the orange sofa perfectly.
It just goes to prove that a sofa in any color can be beautiful, as long as the room is decorated correctly. Neutral pieces always work, as you’ve seen in previous examples here, but a complimentary color that is repeated around the room is another smart way to let a colorful sofa take center stage.
10. A sofa in a fun color is the perfect addition to a room that is filled with youthful exuberance, like this room by Will Taylor.
Some rooms are just all about the fun, like playrooms, family rooms, and game rooms. Fill these rooms with lots of color and pattern, starting with a colorful sofa!
Are you convinced yet? What color sofa would you love to put in your home?
For more decorating ideas, check out Decorating with Marvelous Marsala and 10 Front Porch Decorating Ideas for Fall.
“I’m Elisa and I live in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two little girls. I used to teach reading and writing, but now I stay at home with my two kiddos and read and write in my spare time. I also love to undertake DIY projects, find new recipes on Pinterest, and dream about someday finally completing our home. Above all, I love to learn about new things and sharing my new-found knowledge with others.”