This baked potato soup is so good and so warming, and it just seems to welcome the fall perfectly. And a bread bowl is the ultimate addition and really puts this dish over the top!
Baked Potato Soup
- 2 large (or 4 small/medium) baking potatoes
- 3 Tbsp chopped green onions
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- crumbled bacon
- additional cheddar cheese for garnish
- additional sour cream for garnish
- additional green onions for garnish
- Scrub potatoes, pierce with fork, and bake at 375 degrees F about an hour or until they are soft when you pierce them with a fork.
- Scrape out the insides and place into a bowl. Break up into small or medium chunks, as desired. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute green onions and butter over medium heat.
- While the green onions are cooking, in a separate bowl combine flour, dill, salt, and pepper.
- When the onions have sauteed and are nice and soft, add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Whisk in milk.
- Continue stirring until thickened and bubbling.
- Continue to cook one more minute, stirring constantly so soup doesn’t scald.
- Add 3/4 cup cheddar cheese,1/2 cup sour cream, and reserved potato.
- Allow cheese to melt.
- Serve hot in bread bowls. Garnish with shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, and sour cream.
Featured image courtesy of Foodspotting.