Nothing beats the deliciousness of crisp, homemade fried chicken. Enjoy this buttermilk fried chicken for brunch or dinner!
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 3-31/2lb. Organic chicken
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups flour plus 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 qts. canola frying oil
- 2 quarts brine*
- Rinse chicken in cold water.
- Cut into 8 pcs. Remove both wings, separate drumsticks from thighs at joint, remove breasts and cut each into 2 pieces.
- Submerge in brine* for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from brine and place on a cooling rack and return to refrigerator to dry.
- Combine the buttermilk with 2 tbsp. of hot sauce and 3/4 cup flour with a whisk.
- Heat canola oil in a large cast iron skillet to 325F using a thermometer.
- In a large bowl coat the chicken pieces in buttermilk mixture and leave to marinate for up to 1 hour.
- Combine 4 cups of flour with the onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt.
- One piece at a time, remove the chicken pieces from buttermilk and dredge in the flour mixture.
- Carefully place 4 pieces of chicken into hot oil and fry for 10-12 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F with a digital thermometer and the crust is golden brown. Repeat with the remaining 4 pieces.
This beautiful and delicious recipe comes to us courtesy of The Derby Restaurant.