In celebration of summer and juicy fresh cherries, here is a quick and easy dessert recipe for a crowd. These sweet and sour cherry vareniki dumplings are a coveted dish popular in Russia and Ukraine, and they’ll soon be a favorite among your family and friends!
Sweet and Sour Cherry Vareniki Dumplings
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 17 ounce flour
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 lb sour cherries
- brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- dash of cinnamon
- crème fraîche
- vanilla ice cream
- Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil, and add one teaspoon of salt.
- Slowly mix in 5.6 ounces of flour and add additional 2 cup water at room temperature.
- Add two eggs, one by one, while slowly adding an additional 11.4 ounces of flour, stirring until all ingredients are soluble. Refrigerate for 40 minutes.
- Thoroughly wash sour cherries, removing all pits.
- Sift under water and gently press cherries, letting juices drip into a glass bowl.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar to the cherry liquid, and place under a low flame to create reduction.
- Add 1/2 cup dry red wine and a dash of cinnamon.
- Remove pastry from fridge, and use roller to flatten to approximately ½ inch each.
- Use small glass cup and press dough to create circular portions.
- Add a dash of brown sugar to the bowl of cherries, and place three cherries into the middle of each dumpling, and press all corners to contain ingredients.
- Boil dumplings in water for approximately two minutes each.
- Place three vareniki on each plate, and cover with crème fraîche, teaspoon of cherry sauce, and vanilla ice cream. Serve.
This recipe comes to us courtesy of The Eden Bistro in Tel Aviv.