This chicken burrito bowl will make dinner a fiesta in your home. And it’s great for you, too!
Chicken Burrito Bowl
Chicken Burrito Bowl
Recipe Type: Chicken & Poutlry
- 4 4-oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Any other of your favorite spices to season (optional)[br]
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ tablespoon corn oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon masa flour
- ½ cup low sodium, chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of sea salt[br]
- [br][b]Bowl ingredients:[/b]
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears fresh corn OR 1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium, organic corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bell pepper, any color(s), diced
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Jalapeno or other hot pepper, diced (optional)
- Garnish (optional)
- Reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Season chicken lightly on both sides with sea salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin or any other spices you prefer.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake approximately 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Allow to cool, and then shred the chicken with a fork.
- In a medium skillet, heat the corn oil and unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and jalapeno and saute until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the masa flour and whisk together. Allow to cook 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth; constantly whisk to ensure no clumps of flour.
- Adjust heat to medium-low. Add tomato sauce, granulated garlic, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, oregano and pinch of sea salt. Stir together, cover, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, add lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro to the cooked brown rice and blend together.
- Add the blacked beans, corn, bell pepper, tomato, cumin, garlic and jalapeno to a medium sized bowl and mix.
- Divide the rice into 4 portions. Divide the black bean and corn mixture into 4 portions.
- Add a layer of ¼ of the rice to a bowl, top with ¼ of the bean and corn mixture. Add a shredded chicken breast and drizzle approximately ¼ cup of red burrito sauce over the entire dish.
- If desired, add 1 tablespoon of shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Thank you to BistroMD for sharing this fun recipe!
Remodelaholic is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Please see our full disclosure here.