Find the Right Light and Help Your Community with ENERGY STAR
Today we have a great blog takeover by ENERGY STAR, we are thankful for their support of our blog! Take it away Denise… Hi Remodelaholics, Denise Durrett here from ENERGY STAR with tips and resources on how you and your community can benefit from energy efficient lighting! Whether you have a full kitchen remodel underway or you’re simply looking to brighten a living space, there are important factors to consider when seeking new light bulbs or fixtures. Fortunately, there is an easy way to find the best light for the greatest energy savings, and that’s by looking for the ENERGY STAR label. Remember, not all LED lighting is the same. Only bulbs and fixtures that have earned the ENERGY STAR have been independently certified and undergone extensive testing to assure that they will save energy and perform as promised. Here’s what you “need-to-know” about energy-efficient home lighting:
Energy Efficient Home Lighting:
- ENERGY STAR certified bulbs and fixtures use up to 90% less energy and produce about 70% less heat than standard ones.
- A single bulb that has earned the ENERGY STAR can save $55 in electricity costs over its lifetime. By replacing your home’s five most frequently used light fixtures or the bulbs in them with models that have earned the ENERGY STAR, you can save $45 each year.
- Certified LED bulbs last up to 25 times longer – with typical use that means a bulb lifetime of 12 years or more.
- Most certified LED bulbs are dimmable, helping you create the ambiance you’re looking for.
- LED bulb prices are dropping rapidly across the country, making them more affordable and accessible for all families.
- If you need help choosing the right color bulb while making the shift to ENERGY STAR certified LED lighting, our interactive lighting guide will help!
- Selecting the right ENERGY STAR certified light fixture is easy – there are a variety of options for indoor and outdoor lighting needs.
- Certified fixtures are now available with standard, screw-in sockets. Each comes packaged with a long-lasting, energy-saving bulb.
- Or, look for cool, new ENERGY STAR fixtures with the LED light source integrated right into the design.
- There are hundreds of decorative styles to choose from! Simply look for the ENERGY STAR label while shopping in store or online.
Armed with this information on lighting efficiency for your home, you may be curious about how improving your lighting can also benefit your community. First, you’re reducing your carbon footprint with energy efficient bulbs. In fact, if every American home replaced just one light bulb with a certified model, we’d prevent nearly 7 billion pounds of emissions each year. That’s equivalent to the emissions from 648,000 cars!
In addition to saving energy and money, choosing an ENERGY STAR LED bulb can also help benefit communities in need across America. That’s right! For every ENERGY STAR LED bulb purchased this month, ENERGY STAR partners — including utilities, manufacturers, and major retailers — are making charitable donations to help brighten the lives of others in need. Visit www.energystar.gov/brightenalife to see how you can make your bulb choice count.
I hope you’re inspired and well-equipped with the knowledge to upgrade the lighting in your own home! Be sure to check out the list of projects in your area that are helping make a difference, and remember to look for the ENERGY STAR while shopping for lighting and fixtures for your home.
*Thanks to ENERGY STAR for sponsoring this post, and supporting our team at Remodelaholic.