Instead of baking a traditional fruit pie for the holidays, why not try this beautiful French dessert with your favorite fruit? An elegant fruit galette will be sure to impress your guests!
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter or shortening
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups prepared fruit (peeled, pitted, diced, etc.)
- up to 1/2 cup sugar, depending on fruit’s sweetness
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- Measure flour and salt into a bowl.
- Cut the butter or shortening into the flour until it forms small crumbly pieces.
- Add ice water a tablespoon at a time while stirring dough mixture with a fork until the dough reaches the desired consistency. Do not add too much, less is more.
- Form dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic and put it in the fridge.
- Prepare your fruit as necessary (peeled, pitted, diced, etc.)
- Sprinkle flour and sugar (if needed) over fruit and gently combine.
- Roll out your dough on a floured surface until at least 12 inches in diameter.
- To transfer the dough, simply fold your circle in half and then in half again, place on baking sheet, and unfold.
- Spoon your fruit mixture right in the middle and dot with 1-2 Tbsp butter. Leave at least 2 inches of dough surrounding your fruit mixture.
- Take the edges of the dough and pull them up, pleating as you go. Use water to seal the seams.
- If desired, brush the crust with melted butter and sprinkle it with raw sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes. The galette is done when the fruit is bubbling and the crust is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Remodelaholic is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Please see our full disclosure here.