Summer is here, and it’s time to break out the grill! But don’t be an amateur in outdoor cooking this season. Become a grill master with these top summer grilling tips!
Summer Grilling Tips
1. Beyond burgers
The grilling possibilities are endless, from traditional burgers to pineapples to pizzas and even cakes. Don’t stop with the traditional meat and veggies. Here are two foods that you should be grilling:
- Fruit: Grilling caramelizes the natural sugars in fruit, intensifying the flavor. Try grilling berries until they burst, creating a sweet, warm mixture to top angel food cake or ice cream. (Related Recipe: Balsamic and Ginger Glazed Plums)
- Corn: Soak corn in cold water (with the husks on) for 5 minutes. Grill 12 minutes or until the corn is tender. (Related Recipe: Mexican Street Corn)
2. Try unique ways to use your grill
- Use a grill-proof wok to bring a unique, smoky flavor to stir-fry.
- Use a grill-proof griddle for cooking vegetables and toasting bread or buns.
- Use a grill-proof pizza stone to cook crisp pizzas in just 5 minutes.
3. How long to grill?
Follow this basic guide to cooking times for popular grilling items:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts: 8 to 12 minutes over direct medium heat
- New York strip, porterhouse, rib-eye or filet mignon steaks: 6 to 10 minutes over direct high heat (depending on thickness)
- Pork chops: 8 to 10 minutes over direct medium heat
- Fish fillets: 5 to 10 minutes over direct high heat (depending on thickness)
- Whole bell peppers: 10 to 15 minutes over direct medium heat
- Pineapple slices: 4 to 8 minutes over direct medium heat
Save time during grilling by prepping ingredients while the grill preheats. Avoid overcrowding the grill, which can also increase the cooking time.
Thanks to eMeals for submitting these great grilling tips! Check out their great grilling recipes below!