Homemade cinnamon rolls, while delicious, can be time consuming. Instead, why not try whipping up these whole wheat cinnamon roll pancakes for breakfast this weekend? Topped with a divine cream cheese glaze, you won’t be needing syrup for these pancakes!
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla[br][br]
- [b]Cinnamon swirl:[/b]
- 1-2 Tbsp hot water
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon[br][br]
- [b]Cream cheese glaze:[/b]
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare pancake batter by adding all ingredients to a bowl and mixing together till combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the cinnamon swirl. Mix hot water, brown sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Pour mixture into a small zip baggie and set aside.
- Prepare the glaze. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, heat butter and cream cheese until melted. Whisk together until smooth. Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- To cook pancakes, heat large skillet over medium-low heat. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Scoop about 3/4 cup batter onto the skillet and let cook for a 30 seconds or so.
- Snip a very small hole into the corner of your baggie of filling and squeeze a spiral of the filling onto the top of the pancake, not too close to the edges.
- When bubbles begin to appear on the surface, flip carefully with a thin spatula, and cook until browned on the underside, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a baking sheet or platter.
- Drizzle with glaze and serve immediately.
Images courtesy of Recipe Girl.