Building the Fake Fireplace 2

20 Comments

Okay, last time I showed you a whole bunch of the beginning, now I am gonna show you the middle… (since the final isn’t actually available at the moment!)

 

Once the “legs” or pillars were installed (yes I just Googled the anatomy of a fireplace cuz who the heck knows all the names for the parts of a fireplace.. actually now I do!  Thanks Google!) …we started on the header (or undermantel, wow I fell so smart using these big words and all!)

 

Since the built-ins have a “counter” that runs along almost the entire length of the wall, we decided to carry that element into the fireplace header, only it would be painted white.  This little piece caused Justin a bit of stress, there was a bit of cutting to do, twice.  (Just cuz I am picky!- sorry but THANK you honey for fixing it, twice)  I am happy to say we were both happier with the result once it got cut down a bit.

IMG_9612IMG_9614IMG_9618IMG_9619

The next day we had the whole undermantel built.  I caulked patched and sanded quite a bit and started painting (while watching Downton Abbey of course, cuz that is the fun show to watch online right now… speaking of which I need to go watch the next episode)

IMG_9642

Etta was busy doing some building of her own, and I think it is rather impressive, can’t believe it was still standing!

IMG_9648

Now that everything was painted (at least once), we started fitting the mantel.  We got it all sized and cut properly, then Justin took it outside to stain and poly so we wouldn’t have to deal with the fumes.  This took us at least 2 weeks to get it all done.  Justin got busy at work and there just wasn’t time to finish.

IMG_9663IMG_9789IMG_9794IMG_9796

On top there is a little hole that will be behind the TV that the cords can travel through, the front piece of the mantel top is removable, so if we ever need to fish something through it will be rather easy!  Yea!

IMG_9802

…then it won’t look like this otherwise know as Cord Central.

IMG_9393

The 2 x 4’s on the wall are for supporting the mantel (when it is installed)  But you can see below how it is finally coming together!

IMG_9919

Lydia, watching the process… I love those little bellies!

IMG_9929

One of the mantel boards ended up being about an 1/8th of an inch too big, so we used one of our handy dandy tools! … it was so nice to just make a quick cut and move on!

IMG_9934

IMG_9942

Here was the mantel all put together and ready to be installed!

IMG_9936

All he had to do was just slide it in place and secure it with a few screws, cuz he is just good!  Way to go honey!

IMG_9945IMG_9948IMG_9953

There is the little hidden cord access again, yea!  (can you tell I am excited about not having to see the cords anymore… I REALLY am!)

IMG_9955

Since the legs of the mantel, created and empty void on the side of the built in’s we added a little filler piece.  Obviously it still needs to be painted and caulked!

IMG_9951IMG_9950

 

No big final picture… I know.  I will put in a repeat, cuz I don’t think I have a final (whoops)…!  More to come people, more to come!  What do you think, do you like how the plan is coming to life?

IMG_9923

 

And here is is finished!

final Fuax Mantel Look final Fuax Mantel Look-2

 

 

If you like this please consider sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest please!  I will talk to you a little more about window covering options tomorrow!

About 

Cassity started Remodelaholic with her husband, Justin, to share their love for knocking out walls together. She is an interior designer, wife, and mother of two. She and Justin have remodeled three homes from top to bottom and are working on their fourth. Making a house a home is her favorite hobby.

    You can also find me on
  • facebook
  • googleplus
  • pinterest
  • twitter

Comments

    • says

      the brand and color is oil-based dark walnut found here at the home depot. I added about three coats to get it the darkness that I wanted. I hope that helps. Justin

  1. Lindsey says

    can you tell me how much this cost you to do? i’m trying to convince my husband to build one like this :)

    • says

      Lindsay,

      We used a lot of scraps, paint and stain that we already had, but just guesstimating, you could make this for about $150. ( One tip to save moeny is to use a lot of sheet goods and cut them down to size with a table saw, it is a little more time intensive but cuts costs effectively!) And by using a 2×6 for the mantel, we saved a lot of cash (rather than using oak)

      Good Luck! I never regretted any of the money or time we put into building it! it was one of my favorite features in the whole house!

  2. Emily says

    This is awesome thank you so much I will be building something very similar to this in a little over a month and you have shown me a completely better way to do it. Thank you very much

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *