Framing in a Wall Mount Television

Well, for those of you that are not really into crafts, I am finally back with a remodeling project.  I realized lately that it is very good for my stress levels to have some small projects now and then…. and actually it was just sorta fun to be creative in a different form…

IMG_1221

Frame a TV tutorial @remodelaholic #TV #frame #tutorial

But back to my first love, finishing the big projects!  For the moment we are still currently working on the family room mantel.  The last time you saw it, this is what it looked like, a big huge hole on the wall!

faux firepace mantel

Later with the TV hung back up this is what it looked like.

IMG_0073_thumb1

Basically it is starting to look close to done, but the TV is screaming for a face lift.  Especially since it is sort of the main feature up there.

Framing in a Wall Mount Television

What’s a girl to do?… pick up trash from another persons yard and build something.  ***Correction… her husband is supposed to do that for her!  Last spring here in Texas we had some big wind storms and a lot of old fences got blown over.  A neighbor down the street had about 10 whole panels just sitting by the curb.  So my awesome hubby went and collected them.  ( I like that rustic wood look like in this sign art I made a while ago)  and a whole bunch of free rustic wood sounds good to me!

IMG_0519

He cut some boards off and laid them out to get ready to use them.

IMG_0521 IMG_0523

He started with a 4 little corner blocks (old scrap wood)

IMG_0524

He placed those blocks on the outside corner and nailed the mitered edges in place just directly thorough the front of the frame with finish nails. once it was square.

IMG_0525 IMG_0526

IMG_0529

IMG_0531

Here he had a basic square frame, but it was just flat wood, and wouldn’t hide the TV edges very well.

IMG_0527

He added a small bead of wood in the inside corner, for dimension.

IMG_0532

IMG_0533

Now because the TV is a bit deep and we need to cover up the edges, we wrapped the whole outside edge with another fence rail, and just nailed it into the block on back.  (but you can also see how it comes out on the front to add even more dimension like the center box!)

IMG_0535

IMG_0538

IMG_0539

IMG_0540

Next just set it down so that the top of the frame is, well on top…  Then drill a few holes (we did about 6) along the top for ventilation.

IMG_1653

IMG_1655

IMG_1657

IMG_1660

IMG_1661

It was done in about an hour!  Next we just slid it over the TV…right now it just sits on the mantel… we will attach it at some point I am sure!  But here is what it looks like (we think it might be a little too dark, so we might try to lighten up the color a bit… but we also talked about making a few different frames that can be changed out… it did only take and hour after all… and the second time is always faster!

…and yeah, I didn’t move the toy basket for the “pretty pictures”… but at least most of the toys are in the basket and not strewn all over the room!

IMG_1215

IMG_1225

IMG_1216

IMG_1217 IMG_1218

IMG_1220 IMG_1221

IMG_1225

Well What do you think?

It the frame too dark?  Should it be a lighter color?

Comments

1. Samantha says

A silvery gray would be nice! But at the same time,I bet IRL, the old wood looks really cool and almost a shame to change it! I saw someone else’s tv surround that they had put holes in the top for ventilation. I wonder how necessary that is these days? My LCD doesn’t seem to give off much heat. Looks good!

• Cassity says

We haven’t done it yet, but just to be safe, we are planning on drilling some holes in the top for ventilation! The space behind our surround is pretty open to air, but I am pretty sure all electronics need air circulation! I don’t want to burn out my tv prematurely!

• Janette says

This is beautiful and the frame color looks perfect with your floors and mantel top color. to accent the wood frame more in my opinion would be to change the color of the block its sitting on. even if you were to cover it with mirror tiles would be beautiful and would always match anything.
        great job. I want this. great instructions and step by step pictures. keep on web site for all beginners like me please. thank you so much

2. Samantha says

So cool! I love it. We just did a similar project with our tv- except we bought a premade frame from Hobby Lobby and painted it. We had to add some wood so the tv would hang flush with the wall too. I love the new look, makes the tv a bit ‘classier’ :) Yours is beautiful, I’ll send you some pics of mine when I get the post done.

3. Lisa says

it is PERFECT! If we didn’t have an armoire for our TV I’d be begging my husband to let me do this!! Awesome !!

• Cassity says

You can’t see the top of the box frame so you can easily drill some holes on top for your TV to breath, then it should be okay. But yes I think it does need to be able to breath!

4. Laree @ Ever Heard of Euless says

I think there’s too much dark wood on dark wood up there. I like the frame by itself, but not next to the dark mantle. I think you should go super fun with it – like aqua or fushia or something crazy bright. maybe something that will tie in with the curtains?

5. Korrie@RedHenHome says

I love the frame! But I agree that there is too much “dark” going on. If there were a slice of white showing between the mantle and the frame it might work, but I don’t suppose you want to re-work your careful hanging job ;-)

• Cassity says

Yeah, I was sorta thinking of white washing the old wood, so you still get rustic, but just a little more light, I definitely have a ton of wood I can test it out on!? Do you think that would work Korrie?

6. Michelle says

This looks incredible! I have to stop looking your site….so many wonderful ideas and so little time (and talent!)
    p.s. i took your no bake crispy treat to school for my son’s first grade class….they were a HIT!
    Thanks again,
    Michelle

• Cassity says

Yea! I am glad to hear about the treat, I really liked them too… did you add the sprinkles.. I am not sure why but honestly they just seem to make everything better!

7. Breanna says

I am with you on the lighter color! The two woods aren’t coinciding as well as they could be right now. That is a super awesome idea I LURVE the old wood you used.

8. Stephanie D says

Looks fantastic, but I have a question.
    I have been wanting to mount our flat screen on the wall above our mantle….BUT where does the DVD player go?????

• Cassity says

Stephanie, for a long time we had our DVD player on the old mantel but we just built this mantel so that the wires go through the mantel into the built in unit on the side… which is not much help if you aren’t building a mantle anytime soon! I wonder if there are any wireless units around the bend!

9. Ellie says

I really like how your whole family room is turning out! I could seriously use some of that built-in power in our living room. The frame for your TV is fabulous!!! In the pictures it looks like it blends with the other wood on the mantle. It would be fun to have other frames you change it out with! I pinned this. Thanks!

10. Karen e. says

I don’t think it’s to dark. The tv should blend in and become part of the art work/decor and not to steal the show. I love the way you have creatively done that. It defiantly adds to your look you have created.

Karen E.

11. SheilaG says

I like the frame as is, but maybe for spring/summer do something fun to match or coordinate with the curtains. Or maybe a metallic for a little bling?

12. Jordan says

I like this idea, but what about the sound quality? If you’re using a home theater system it probably doesn’t matter, but if you’re not… wouldn’t the wood drown it out?

• Cassity says

Jordan,
      That is a good question, and just to clarify,we actually don’t have surround sound, and if you look really close the frame is below the speaker portion of the t.v. (in fact an annoying feature of out tv is that the bottom is a curved line, so the two bottom corners are above the opening of the frame, but you can’t see it unless you are right there) We made sure that we built the frame big enough that it wouldn’t cover the speakers… my husband dreams of surround sound. Maybe someday! …but for now we can go on watching any shows without issues!

13. Judie S. says

It’s beautiful; however, I also think it might be a little too dark. I’m not so much a decorator, but when you hang it on the wall, that might help a bit. Is there a way to lighten up the frame or the mantel? Also, some of those $3 fake plants from IKEA lined up between the TV and the mantel might help. Thank you for sharing your creative craftiness with us!! You are an inspiration!!

14. JoAnn says

Wow love this idea! Plus we actually have wood that looks about like yours. I like it because it would help camouflage our cable and electrical cords. We’re too afraid to cut into the fireplace wall to poke them inside. Thanks for sharing your idea!
    JoAnn

15. kristin says

WOW, this is fabulous! We were thinking of doing this for the upstairs loft but we weren’t sure about the tv sticking out too far. Love how you incased it!
    thank you for linking up!
    XO
    Kristin

16. Aubrey says

Love this! You just made my hubs happy b/c I told him that NOW he could get a wall mount television…if he framed it up really cool like y’all’ve done!

17. Six Sisters says

This looks amazing! Thanks for joining us on our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday.” We hope you come back next Saturday. We would love to have you share more wonderful ideas! -The Sisters

18. Crystal says

Cassity, this is SO fabulous!!! I LOVE the look of the old pallet with the new tv! I think it is just PERFECT this color! Featuring you at Homemaker in Heels today! Thank you so much for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

19. Cathy says

For another frame idea, why not include doors to cover the tv screen when not in use. They could be made of the same wood as the frame and painted, stained or covered with fabric or a photo of your choice. They could have a top track or side hinges. Your original is beautiful.

20. Linda Bernard says

I love your tv frame, especially using the repurposed wood. I wouldn’t paint it now. Years from now if you wanted a change painting it would give it an update. I want one for our Mst bedroom. We have a large Tuscan oil painting above our fireplace in the lv rm. We have discussed ways to hinge it to hide a tv behind it. Any suggestions?
    Thx for sharing, Linda B

21. Jill says

I love this! I am about to do it, and I have a question: “Then he added a thin bead of wood.” ?? Did he rip fence boards? have other old wood laying around? Can you share how he ripped the fence and to what dimension?

Thanks!!! Great work! I appreciate you taking the time to share it!

• Justin says

I used the table saw to rip the fence board to the width of ABOUT 3/4″, then I glued it and nailed it to the inside of the frame. I hope that helps. I am glade that you love this.

22. Janine says

Hi, I saw your frame through pinterest. Would your husband be willing to make one to sell to me? I would love one! Just let me know the price. I live in NY. Thanks!

• Cassity says

Janine, I don’t think I have the time, I am SO sorry! But i have a fun option where you can Zaarly the image and get quotes from someone local, and check out their work reviews. Just hover over an image of the frame and a “Z make this for me” icon will appear, click on it and it will take you through the porcess. (you could also see on Ana-White.com if anyone local would build it for you!) Good luck!

23. jude says

Good to see someone has the same vision as me. I like that you sourced out some cool weathered wood. We have a very old house and tried to make a modern TV fit in. We used the old flooring from our restoration. Nice work. I don’t think it is too dark.

24. Traci says

Looks great! However, you need a much bigger tv over the fireplace. It looks “lost” up there. The frame is awesome though!

• Cassity says

I don’t want to sound rude in anyway, but I totally disagree! If the TV were bigger the entire scale of the whole mantel would be thrown off. Right now the visual size of the TV is equal if not slightly bigger than to the space of the faux fireplace opening below, if it were any bigger, it would be totally top heavy and all visual balance would be thrown off. Balance and scale is totally lost in our design sense with all the overstuffed sofas and 60 inch tv screens. Sorry apparently I feel really strongly about this, I just miss the idea of proper scale in design.

• Traci says

No problem…we can agree to disagree. I do love all of the remodeling you guys have done though. We have a 60″ over our mantel and it is also the size of our stone work around the fireplace. I just think maybe a few inches bigger would make it appear more balanced. It’s your house so do what makes you happy. As I said….the frame looks great. Maybe paint the wall behind the fireplace a neural color such as tan or grey would make it pop more.

25. Theresa says

Wonderful idea!! I’m new to pinterest so this comes late. I would say noooo do not change or lighten the color of the frame! If you you want to lighten, add color or dimension simply change out your mantel decor. This is a WONDERFUL idea and looks absolutely stunning! If you did change it I’d love to see what you came up with! Thanks for the idea!!

26. Lori says

I think it is incredible love it…So it doesn’t acfect the sound and with the holes it can circulate air but what about changing the channels we all know that our kids and husbands are not capable of changing them except with a remote dose it affect that in any way?

• Cassity says

Lori, because our frame sat on the mantel, if we lost the remote (a daily occurrence usually) then we could just slide it forward to change the channel (which is on the side of the TV for us) So still doable, but not as easy, it is true!

• Brittany W says

My husband and I are going to attempt this project, this weekend. Our TV is mounted on the wall rather than setting on a mantel. Do you think its possibe to anchor the frame from the wall? Any tips are appreciated… I am determined to have this frame ( :

• Cassity says

Brittany, I think my answer to this question would be an “L” bracket. Screw it to the wall and sit the frame on the bracket, it should work like a charm. Either that or add a block to the top of the frame that you can attahc some picture hanging hardware too. Check the hanging hardware isle at your local home store, you might get a few more ideas just by looking. GOOD LUCK! (be sure to drill the venting holes on top too!)

27. Brynne says

I love this! i want to frame our televeison in our home. Do you sell these by any chance? I would love to have you make one for our televsion. Let me know!

• Justin says

Brynne, I am thrilled that you love it. I am sorry, but I don’t sell these. I don’t have the time to. I hope that maybe you can find someone who can.

28. Jennifer says

Here’s a tip! Attach it to the wall on a hinge so when you need access to the tv …. You have easy access!! :)

29. Kimberly says

This is absolutely beautiful. Don’t change the color! It blends in so nicely. What a great idea. I want one!

30. Bonnie says

Hi,
    I was just wondering if you knew if the wood was pressure treated or not since it was used for a fence. I have some old fence wood that I was questioning if I should use indoors. Is it safe? It looks great!

31. Julie says

This is beautiful!!! I’m curious as to how you’d hang it – what type of hardware would you use? My husband and I are going to do this project but we don’t have a mantle beneath to sit it on and we’d actually have to mount it to the wall – just trying to see if you have any suggestions!

32. Stacy says

I love this idea! My husband and I are going to try this, but our fireplace is rock. Any suggestions on what to do with all the wires?

• Justin says

Stacy, one thought that I have for you is, depending on how many cords you are dealing with, you could paint them the color of your rock fireplace. And if you have a mantle you could place something in front of the cords. I hope that helps.

33. Kyra says

I love this. I pinned it months ago and I keep coming back to it to hopefully one day tackle it. I have 2 mounted tv’s however one is tilted down (in the bedroom) so it’s not a strain to view it while laying in bed. Any suggestions on how one could be built with that taken into consideration?

34. Jacqueline Arroyo says

Looks great, but I was curious, how did you deal with hiding the wiring for the power, and the connecting wires to all your components? Is that going through the inside of the wall? It is always so tricky to hide those pesky wires!

• Jacqueline Arroyo says

Thanks so much Justin that helps a lot. I recently did a similar thing for a client. I designed a mantle that would actually hold all the components, and we did carry the wiring through the wall into the TV. I had the mantle have a door that would swing down to access the components. We also did put some venting holes on the back on the bottom shelf. in this situation we had no cabinetry to hold any components and the tv/fireplace was next to windows, so it would not have worked anyway. I have pictures in my facebook page if you are interested in seeing it. https://www.facebook.com/fullcircleinteriors